The Champions League Discussion Thread

sbcmfc

Hearts couldn't play UEFA Cup or Champions League football at Tynecastle due to the pitch size, which has now been rectified. Nothing else.

Otelul Galati played in the Champions League this season and their ground has a smaller capacity than Fir Park.

Otelul played their CL games this season at the National Arena in Bucharest which has a 55,000 seat capacity.

During the qualifying rounds games are often played at smaller stadiums but I think that once a club is playing in the group stages they will host matches at a larger ground to generate more revenue....that would be a great day if MFC had to make such a choice.

I brought this up a while back. If you read the minimum stadium requirements for CL and EL they are different. There's lots of boring shit like floodlight specifications, how many hospitality boxes, parking spaces etc. Simple google search http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

Minimum seating capacity is 8000 for a cat4 stadium

Quick edit: apparently now cat4 is the min requirement for both competitions so think we should be okay

Found this:

Stadium categories

13.01 Unless stipulated otherwise in these regulations, matches in the competition must be played in a stadium which meets the structural criteria of the following categories as defined in the UEFA Stadium Infrastructure Regulations (2010 edition):

a) category2 for the first andsecondqualifyingrounds;

b) category3 for the third qualifying round;

c) category 4 from the play-offs to the semi-finals.

The final must be played in a stadium which meets the structural criteria as defined in the staging agreement.

Possible opponents in 3rd qualifing round

Assuming the draw is seeded and we are unseeded, we would face the runners up from either Portugal, Russia, Holland, Ukraine or Turkey

Clubs currently in those positions are Benfica, CSKA Moscow, Ajax, Shaktar and Fenerbahce

Cant get any more premature than that

:cheers:

Keep our feet on the ground folk.

No thanks. As far as I'm aware, getting completely carried away about something which then doesn't happen does not actually result in anything particularly bad happening in the grand scheme of things. That is good enough for me. I'm completely loving this Champions League chat and have absolutely no intention whatsoever of keeping my feet on the ground.

• Like 5

Why?

I've followed the Well for a year or two Al, and seen a fair few ups and downs and learnt not to take anything for granted. On a few occasions I've seen big prizes snatched away from us incredibly and at the last minute. We tend to do things the "Motherwell" way.

At the moment, in mid March, we're well clear of the pack in 3rd spot. Rangers look as though they'll fail the Euro financial test, whatever that might be. So yes, its quite possible that we'll make the Champions League.

However there are two main risks. Firstly, we may not finish third - someone may catch us - there's a fair few points still up for grabs and United are going like a runaway tank. Secondly, it has not yet been confirmed by the authorities that Rangers won't be allowed to compete in Europe.

If we qualify for the Champions League then I'll celebrate but I think we'd do well to keep a lid on it for the time being.

And if the worst happens and we don't make it, we'll both be facing the same set of circumstances and the same disappointment. The only difference between us will be that I had 6 weeks of excitement leading up to it, and you didn't.

I'll take the excitement please. smile.gif

• Like 1

And if the worst happens and we don't make it, we'll both be facing the same set of circumstances and the same disappointment. The only difference between us will be that I had 6 weeks of excitement leading up to it, and you didn't.

I'll take the excitement please. smile.gif

Amen.

That date makes more sense!

I know my Mother wouldn't have let me go to a football game on my own in 1973 when I was still at primary school :whistling:

Know what threw me, that cover. The diagonal stripe I somehow equated with the kit we wore, that came in about 73/74, kind of imagined the programme cover design was meant to tie in with the kit.

Anyways aye, got that proggy as well