Motherwell Vs Aberdeen Cup Game Discussion Thread

David

In my opinion we are going no further in the Scottish Cup this season.

Aberdeen are a much improved side from the one from the beginning of the season and it's no accident that they have went 12 matches unbeaten because Craig Brown has has clearly put his stamp on that team by making them hard to beat and solid defensively. We will struggle to break them down next Sunday and this tie will either finish level and they will knock us out in the replay or it will be an away win.

We've got a good record against Aberdeen of late, but it would just be so typical if that was to end in the biggest encounter of them all and I think that will be either next Sunday or in the replay. Plus, I just don't see us playing at Hampden two seasons in a row.

No, Aberdeen are going to knock us out of the Cup in this round and for me the only question is where they will do that, either at Fir Park or at Pittodrie in the replay.

Either 1-1 or 2-1 to them I'm afraid, but as ever I hope to be proved wrong.

Aberdeen are a much improved side from the one from the beginning of the season and it's no accident that they have went 12 matches unbeaten because Craig Brown has has clearly put his stamp on that team by making them hard to beat and solid defensively. We will struggle to break them down next Sunday and this tie will either finish level and they will knock us out in the replay or it will be an away win.

We've got a good record against Aberdeen of late, but it would just be so typical if that was to end in the biggest encounter of them all and I think that will be either next Sunday or in the replay. Plus, I just don't see us playing at Hampden two seasons in a row.

No, Aberdeen are going to knock us out of the Cup in this round and for me the only question is where they will do that, either at Fir Park or at Pittodrie in the replay.

we're doomed ,we're all doomed ! :cry::help::bad::tumbleweed:

Christ ......I hope am no sittin in front of you on Sunday :doh:

Do you actually get any fun out of following Motherwell? Seriously?

Same old same old, the only one you are kidding is yourself.

nah !, he get his kicks by posting doom and gloom forecasts of games so that if they actually pan out ,he can come on here and say " I told yeez " Think his sole prediction of a win the other week was born out of " i've got fuck all right all season so if ipredict a win they might lose " reasoning. i freely admit he used to annoy the fuck out of me with the negativity but now its just Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Of course I do. I'm a negative bugger, glass half empty whatever, but Motherwell are my club and I love supporting them. I don't expect much from us, but that's maybe more down to the type of person I am. That does not mean though that I want us to lose or enjoy it when we do lose. I don't pay money to watch Motherwell, buy merchandise and spend however much on petrol money going to support them because I want them to lose just so I can say 'told yeez' on an internet forum, something I've never actually said on here.

I support Motherwell in hope, but never expectation and always fear that we're about to 'implode' for want of a better word there. I'll be there on Sunday as always and I'll be supporting the team as I always do but I do see us going out here. Like I said, that's maybe down to the type of person I am but it doesn't change the fact that I desperately WANT us to win on Sunday and every other time we step on to the field because at the end of the day, whatever my 'guess' beforehand on here may be, I am a Motherwell supporter and I love the club dearly.

• Like 2

Don't see us playing at Hampden two years in a row? We did it THREE times last season!!!! No reason why, if we play anything like we can, it can't be another twice this season. Like yesterday, we have the players to get through Aberdeen and the midfield to nullify any threat they have from there. Motherwell to progress.

• Like 1

Genuine question - do you think Aberdeen are a better team than us?

ok to steer the thread off of MJC and back to the game. No yellows to worry about. they don't carry over from the league games. I think paige and forbes may have got booked against queen's park so that's it.

But fefinately foresee a very tight game with aberdeen not helping much in the way of providing any spectator enjoyment. However if we can get a goal in the first 20 mins i think it will make for a more entertaining game and a win for us.

Hampden here we come!!!!

Really looking forward to this but nervous as well.

Aberdeen are clearly on a solid run of form and Brown will have them well drilled. If Lasley and Jennings get the better of the midfield three of Rae, Arnasen and Fyvie/Hughes then Law, Murphy and Ojamaa should get plenty opportunities to run at them.

Wouldn't be surprised if this goes to a replay.

Genuine question - do you think Aberdeen are a better team than us?

In terms of quality, I wouldn't say that they were a better team than us, in fact I would say that the sides are evenly matched.

Aberdeen's strengths on which they have built their recent good run have been that they are a very difficult side to break down and beat, as Craig Brown teams tend to be. They have shored up their defence by bringing in the likes of Reynolds and Anderson and as a result they look more solid at the back. They will come to Fir Park and sit in and the onus will be on us to break them down and it's going to be very difficult to do that. If they are able to nick a goal and get in front then we're going to struggle to get back in it in my opinion because that will suit them to defend a lead and it will play into their hands. Scott Vernon will be a big threat up front for them aswell.

I can see us struggling against their physicality and gameplan as it's going to be very difficult to get past them.

• Like 1

Welcome back MJC!

We got away with your mental abhoration this week so glad to see normal service has been resumed!

Keep up the good work!

In terms of quality, I wouldn't say that they were a better team than us, in fact I would say that the sides are evenly matched.

Aberdeen's strengths on which they have built their recent good run have been that they are a very difficult side to break down and beat, as Craig Brown teams tend to be. They have shored up their defence by bringing in the likes of Reynolds and Anderson and as a result they look more solid at the back. They will come to Fir Park and sit in and the onus will be on us to break them down and it's going to be very difficult to do that. If they are able to nick a goal and get in front then we're going to struggle to get back in it in my opinion because that will suit them to defend a lead and it will play into their hands. Scott Vernon will be a big threat up front for them aswell.

I can see us struggling against their physicality and gameplan as it's going to be very difficult to get past them.

Evenly matched, fair enough, I think the evidence suggests we are a better side. CB is good at stopping teams losing, but they haven't really started scoring goals yet. We have goals all over the pitch and from the bench now, and it's gaining us wins even when the team is playing quite poorly. That aside, if we are evenly matched, and we're at home, wouldn't you be inclined to give us the edge, albeit it's a close one?

they have zero creativity in their team. they are gash.

I hope mark reynolds hasn't learned to defend.

they've conceded 5 in 10 since reynolds came into the team including playing both sides of the old firm. teams with mark reynolds in defence don't lose many goals in the spl.

defences he has played in have only conceded more than one goal 5 times in his last 30 scottish games.

Interesting that you'll rate a defender based on how few goals his defence concedes (which is perfectly valid), but ignore goals scored when you're rating a striker such as Higdon.

goals conceded has a direct effect on results while goals score by one player doesn't.

if a defence is keeping clean sheets or conceding one (which is par) then they are contributing to positive results. one guy scoring 1 in 3 or 4 isn't guaranteed to be doing that.

higdon's scored in 10 matches and not scored in 20. you have to consider what he is contributing the 2/3s of the the time he's not scoring. for me he misses too many chances, gives away too many fouls, doesn't have much movement in the box and is poor in general play outside the box. in any game he's only as good as his team mates are playing, he's never going to add anything when we're not playing well or push us over the top in a game like the one at celtic park last week.

looking back you wonder what mcdonald, porter, jutkiewicz or clarky would score in this team with this level of opposition or what the likes of o'connor, vernon, sandaza or daly would get.

we've failed to score in 10 out 29 spl games this season. why is that?