Motherwell Vs Aberdeen Cup Game Discussion Thread

David

Bad day at the office today. A howler of a decision to give the corner that resulted in the first goal (albeit from poor defending). Higdon's penalty miss seemed a sign of things to come. The second goal was piss poor defending, 3 players in the middle and all marking the one guy while his strike partner sneaks in at the far post. Hateley's got to take that one on the chin. He had a bad day today but all in all has had a decent season. A couple of bad performances doesn't make a bad player.

Our passing was horrific throughout the team, from Jennings playing almost everything out the park or to an Aberdeen player to the weak, underhit efforts being played by the rest. Some poor ball control as well throughout the side. Our attacking players struggled a bit today, not because of the opposition really, just some bad touches, bad bounces and a bit of bad luck that on another day would have worked out. Higdon's penalty wasn't bad, only problem was potentially that it was in the same spot he put his 2 against Hibs and the goalie may have done his homework.

A frustrating day for the likes of Murphy, Ojamaa and Higdon and perhaps the answer would have been to play Humphrey from the start. That game today seemed to be calling out for someone like him and it was telling that the goal came from him driving into the box. Hopefully McCall has taken note and will start him next week. Aberdeen will be digging in again and we can't afford to gift them goals again. In saying that, I think we'll give them a bit of a doing next week as several players will have a point to prove.

Very silly red for Lasley and he needs to start being more careful with his challenges. He's not getting away with it these days and is beginning to make Jennings look like an angel (remember when he was getting booked every week?).

Bad day. Put it behind us and focus on righting some wrongs next week and cementing our place in the league.

Poor display today.The players let the woeful decision for the corner get to them and we never recovered. Very bad defending for both goals,poor passing,nobody seemed to have any origional ideas as to how to get the ball in the net,or even up the park. Would not single any player out for criticism as nobody had a good game . As for that halfwit ref ,how did he ever pass to get to officiate at this level.Poor decision making and totally inconcistent all of the game.To add insult to injury Aberdeen are mediocre at best,Only bright moment was comment from punter in POD.' Hurry up ya fat Darren Randolph directed at time wasting Dons goalie

• Like 1

Not in the slightest. McHugh's goals per minutes in a Motherwell jersey, I would imagine, is pretty good. I'm not saying Ojaama is a bad player but he's not as good as is being made out on here and today he did nothing.

Total shite mate. Usually I respect your thoughts but this just knee jerk sensationalist pish.

Ojamma has scored 6 goals and I am pretty sure his assist tally must now be in double figures.

The guy has been superb and Even today he gave the Aberdeen defence a tough time, just never fell for him today.

Also overrated to what? Nobody is comparing him to Messi - but he is by far the most exciting player we have had at fir park since Faddy.

• Like 3

Total shite mate. Usually I respect your thoughts but this just knee jerk sensationalist pish.

Ojamma has scored 6 goals and I am pretty sure his assist tally must now be in double figures.

The guy has been superb and Even today he gave the Aberdeen defence a tough time, just never fell for him today.

Also overrated to what? Nobody is comparing him to Messi - but he is by far the most exciting player we have had at fir park since Faddy.

I just don't see it with him, sorry. Decent player but most exciting player since Faddy?

He has potential but is making bad decisions. I don't know if he's believing his own press but he needs to stop trying to take on the opposition singlehanded. He should be releasing the ball earlier.

And part of the impact he had initially was the fact that Higdon had someone playing close to him. He seems to be playing further and further away from Higdon now.

I'm not suggesting he's a bad player but he seems exempt from criticism. Only Humphrey caused Aberdeen any problems today but I knew before I came on here that Ojaama would "have been a handful". Christ, leading the MOTM poll the last I checked.

Seems he can do no wrong.

I just don't see it with him, sorry. Decent player but most exciting player since Faddy?

He has potential but is making bad decisions. I don't know if he's believing his own press but he needs to stop trying to take on the opposition singlehanded. He should be releasing the ball earlier.

And part of the impact he had initially was the fact that Higdon had someone playing close to him. He seems to be playing further and further away from Higdon now.

I'm not suggesting he's a bad player but he seems exempt from criticism. Only Humphrey caused Aberdeen any problems today but I knew before I came on here that Ojaama would "have been a handful". Christ, leading the MOTM poll the last I checked.

He pissed me off a wee bit today, tryting to do too much and losing the rag with his team mates more than once,

He cut a frustrated figure but it was understandable. He was getting no service from the midfield and he ended up going deeper and deeper, searching for the ball. If we go with a 3 man midfield next week, he will do the business in the final third.

A lot of if yer grannie had bawz felling about today. The ridiculous corner decision for their 1st. A missed pen. A stonewall pen in the 2nd half when Clancy was thrown to the ground. If Lasley had stayed on. If Murphy hadn't been pish. Yes if my grannie had bawz!! Anyway no return to Hampden for us but a chance to get revenge next week when we play em in the league. Today just sums up what aupporting Motherwell is all about. These things happen at least we died with our boots on. :mellow:

A saving grace after a defeat is this place. Fuck me, some people. I'm as frustrated as anyone but some of the comments are ridiculous.

-"Team lacks bottle when it matters" what a load of shite. How about the QF and SF last year. The two times we beat Saints this year to keep them at bay. Beating Hearts 3 scud at Fir Park when they were right on our tails. Or beating Hibs last week to cement our advantage in third.

-"Ojamaa overated" I can think of a few players we have who are overated, he's not one of them. He was the only who looked like doing anything till Humphrey came on.

- "Hateley been abysmal all season" WTF? The boy's been a model of consistency for almost his entire Motherwell career and this season has 4 goals and 8 or 9 assists. There's a reason he's played every game since he's came to Motherwell and that Gannon, Brown & McCall have picked him everyweek. He was poor today but the abuse he was getting was well over the top.

We were poor today but calm the fuck down. The team appears to have become victims of their own success. Yes we all wanted to win but we're still having a fantastic season. We're Motherwell and we have no devine right to win these games, under McCall more often than not we've risen to the occasion in the big games. Aberdeen swamped the midfield and we couldn't play through them so we resorted to pumping long balls until we brought the Humph on( a must start next week). Thought McCall should have changed it sooner but even though we were fairly ganting today a wee bit of luck we could have nicked a replay near the end.

Oh and why the fuck were folk giving a standing ovation to Lasley? He let us and his teamates down badly with a horrific challenge and he gets applause for that. Fuck that. And he now puts himelf out of several games for the run in. Crazy.

Randolph, Law & Humphrey get pass marks. Clancy and Ojamaa were not as bad as others. Big reaction needed for next week. Humphrey, Carswell both need to come in for me. Can't afford to let today ruin our leage form, got to dust ourselves down, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and move on.

This post is spot on.

First off the the Well crowd was pretty decent at 5500+ given live TV and KO time, so a bit baffled by criticism by one poster earlier.

As for the post having a go at O'Jamma. Sums up some of the posters on here :bad: No-one is saying he is the messiah, but has injected a much needed spark in our season and by any benchmark he has been a fanatastic signing.

Annoyed by the result but at least we don't have to see (most probably) another defeat by Celtic in the semi or another final.

Let's kick on and secure 3rd and get Champions league football.

For all there may be some over-reaction to the boy, I think you've gone completely the other way with that criticism.

Sometimes we're just crying out for someone to step up and be the next Faddy and some fans may be guilty of that, but he's still just a young laddie so obviously prone to making bad decisions. When the good outweigh the bad though he's doing something right and he's done more right than wrong since he came in. He got further away from Higdon today cos he was pulled back to midfield following Lasley's red card but he is certainly a player who can, and has been thus far, make things happen out of nothing when he's been fairly anonymous in the game. That'll do for me if he keeps that up

• Like 1

Was listening to SMc 's interview on BBC there and he goes on to talk about the height advantage they had. Makes you wonder why he resorted to Craig Broon's punt the baw up the park at every chance tactic.

I think Ojamaa was exactly what we needed in that he gave us another option, gave defences someone else to think about and added another dimension to our play and brought Higdon more into the game. Today, though he was pish. Offered absolutely nothing in my book.

The assistant made an absolute howler for the first goal. I really don't blame Craig Thomson at all as he was looking through the players so no matter what decision his assistant gave he was going to agree with it as he had a much better view. However for an assistant to get that wrong is appalling. But McCall is right, we turned off then and really until we got the penalty the concentration never really came back and I think the penalty was another setback and again we didn't recover. For all that Aberdeen didn't create much until Hateley fell asleep for the second goal they did appear to be the better team, Second half was an improvement though we did look that we may concede again on the break.

Aberdeen's defence is big and slow (Reynolds apart) and I think we'd have been better with Humphrey today and the game was crying out for him earlier. The red card was a shocking tackle but to be fair Lasley never took his eye off the ball and I'm pretty sure he was just done. However it was maybe the best thing that happened as we gave it a right good go after then though if Brown hadn't made a dick of it we would never have scored.

Really didn't get going today at all and I grudgingly have to admit that the better team over the 90 won though I think if we had another ten minutes we may have nicked a draw. I know we were moaning about Brown timewasting but to be fair the natural stoppages were only 2.5 minutes for the stretcher plus a couple of subs and we played 5 and I think its much more effective for a referee just to add the time on rather than book people and slow it down some more.

Was listening to SMc 's interview on BBC there and he goes on to talk about the height advantage they had. Makes you wonder why he resorted to Craig Broon's punt the baw up the park at every chance tactic.

Because we were totally outnumbered in midfield and we didn't have anyone on the bench to rectify it.

Gutting performance, we looked lack luster up front, and never really looked like scoring, Aberdeen were not great themselves to be honest, OJ done ok, and at least looked to have a go at the back four of aberdeen, Higdon penalty was hit @the perfect height for a keeper to save, hence him saving it... Murphy anonymous yet again, offered nothing going forward, and the reason Aberdeen never needed to double up on him (as a result of that OJ had no space to create or to run into), Lasley challenge was horrendous regardless of his intentions and could of easliy ended a players career.

That aside i think that the game is done and dusted now, no other worries apart from the league, bounce back next week with a win.

Law or Murphy to step aside and Humphrey back in, OJ and Humphrey will work well together and it might stop the hopeless balls up to higdon to flick on one in ten of them.

Important to bounce back, McCall needs to take it on the chin, and look to move forward with change!

Humphrey must start next week in Murphy's place.

Murphy is easily the most over-rated player to ever wear the C&A.

Have to agree with this, :nod: Murphy has been pish all season, the odd goal here and there is not good enough, he is too lightweight any slight nudge from an opposition player and he is off the ball. He was anonymous yesterday and contributed nothing to the game, its time he warmed the bench for a while, bring Daley in he will be more effective.

Not the greatest game but I enjoyed it ,I think wee Broon set up his team well and we found it difficult playing the long ball game against then ,still I thought the players worked hard with Clancy being my motm .Never good going out of the Scottish cup at this stage,the season even chasing a european place for me kind of dies away.

I know we were moaning about Brown timewasting but to be fair the natural stoppages were only 2.5 minutes for the stretcher plus a couple of subs and we played 5 and I think its much more effective for a referee just to add the time on rather than book people and slow it down some more.

2.5 minutes for the stretcher then 30 seconds each for subs? If he added the correct amount of time on we'd have got the extra 10 minutes mentioned earlier :rolleyes:

Humphrey must start next week in Murphy's place.

Murphy is easily the most over-rated player to ever wear the C&A.

Have to agree with this. He's just not cutting it again. Started the season ok but he's fell away badly. He is too lightweight and by far the biggest shitebag in the team.