If a Rangers newco are voted in to the SPL...

Jay

194 members have voted

1. 1. If a newco was voted into the SPL would you consider turning your back on SPL football?

• Yes
    • No

Rangers should be shafted on 2 counts and not be in the SPL

1. If they liquidate then new Co. should not be in SPL

2. If they get CVA and continue as is they should be relegated as punishment for illegal payments to players. ( such as happened in Italy i think )

So while all this heartfelt concern continues to pour in from media and politicans with repsect to the financial position of the team and worry over job losses I wonder what ther position is if asked about the cheating? is that to be overlooked too??

The whole thing stinks and shoul be sorted out now. Remains to be seen if the other teams have the balls to do it. Although stil a long way to go in this story, the CVA depends on agreement from creditors ( incl HMRC, right? ) interested to see how that goes! not sure if any precedent been set in dealings with other clubs or businesses.

The reason I voted no is im a Motherwell fan, I want to see Motherwell play and I will support them through thick and thin!

As for rangers, yeah thy have cheated and I wouldn't be keen on them getting straight back in Scott free but I don't really care cause im a well fan!

J

This kind of opinion is the reason why the Scottish game will never change for the better. The problem we have is that there are more people who "don't care" as long as it doesn't affect them or their club directly than there is people who want to actually see the game improve.

• Like 1

They should be demarcated from the rest of football for a very long time. As were Fiorentina & Marseilles in the past.

What they got away with so far is rancid. The plod may yet show up (dont hold your breath)

If ANYONE from our club enables those people in any form to waltz back in to the SPL OR makes any form of apology for their behaviour in any way then I'm off as I (and you also) would just be watching a farce from then on.

More fun still to come and kind of lost in the maelstrom:

The club with the much revered history owe £814k in unpaid and overdue transfer fees (includes 2 that already resold) ; to other European clubs. All of which have written to EUEFA. Michel get yer boots on.

Regan check your mail!

AND VOTE to keep them out

They should be demarcated from the rest of football for a very long time. As were Fiorentina & Marseilles in the past.

What they got away with so far is rancid. The plod may yet show up (dont hold your breath)

If ANYONE from our club enables those people in any form to waltz back in to the SPL OR makes any form of apology for their behaviour in any way then I'm off as I (and you also) would just be watching a farce from then on.

More fun still to come and kind of lost in the maelstrom:

The club with the much revered history owe £814k in unpaid and overdue transfer fees (includes 2 that already resold) ; to other European clubs. All of which have written to EUEFA. Michel get yer boots on.

Regan check your mail!

AND VOTE to keep them out

This is the type of thread I love these BASTARDS are going to have there day . F,T,O,F :laugh:

@ David

My point is on the basis that regardless of other clubs issues, that will not stop me supporting my club!

Don't get me wrong, is I mentioned in the previous post, I don't want to see them get off with it but I don't think what happens- which will largely out of Motherwells control- should effect me supporting the team I want to

@ David

My point is on the basis that regardless of other clubs issues, that will not stop me supporting my club!

Don't get me wrong, is I mentioned in the previous post, I don't want to see them get off with it but I don't think what happens- which will largely out of Motherwells control- should effect me supporting the team I want to

Derek Weir would have a pivotal role to play. Far from out our control.

Derek Weir would have a pivotal role to play. Far from out our control.

Exactly. The 12 SPL clubs are represented by a six man board that makes decisions on their behalf. That board features;

Ralph Topping (chairman)

Neil Doncaster (Chief Executive)

Eric Riley (Celtic)

Stephen Thompson (Dundee United)

Derek Weir (Motherwell)

Steven Brown (St Johnstone)

These are the six men who have the final say on Rangers being allowed to transfer their SPL membership to a newco, and if so what sanctions are set against them for previous misconduct.

Our vice-chairman is part of that six man board.

Despite the gum flapping from some chairmen, teams that are in major debt aren't going to vote out what they see as a cash cow.

Unfortunately this is an opinion of blinkered chairmen and fans alike. Far too many people in the game right now cant see the wood for the trees. We MUST take the opportunity here to make our SPL a more competitive league. Competitive doesnt mean richer! But if everyone is in the same boat it is irrelevant. There arw 2 ways to make the league more competitive.

1- Keep Rangers out. Less TV money? Who cares, id rather have a fair and equal slice of a small cake than a shoddy slice of a larger one. EVERY team, including celtic would just have to downsize so it would be a more level playing field.

2- Re-structure, bigger, fairer and more competitive league. The only reason we have a shitty small boring league playing teams over and over again is so sky get 4 old firm games. well sky can fuck off. If the spl had 16 teams there would be more of a challenge at the top as the bigger diddies would have less 'no chance' games in Glasgow, would half the amount of gamea agianst each other essentially just taking points off each other etc... This with euro an relegationplay offs for added excitement would be worth it even if there was less money - everyone would be in the same boat so it wouldnt matter!

• Like 1

There's a compromise position

Where in a 16 team league once everyone plays each other twice (30 games)the league splits for a final round of 7 games (37 games).

The post split games could be prescribed at the start of the season so that nobody's 'being conned'

i.e. for the first post split game Team in 1st (at the split) is at home to team in 2nd, team in 3rd is at home to team in 4th.

So the fans get a bigger league - less games vs each other

Sky lose only one of their holy grail OF games (after the 5 years it'll take for Newco Rangers to get from Div 3)

Unfortunately this is an opinion of blinkered chairmen and fans alike. Far too many people in the game right now cant see the wood for the trees. We MUST take the opportunity here to make our SPL a more competitive league. Competitive doesnt mean richer! But if everyone is in the same boat it is irrelevant. There arw 2 ways to make the league more competitive.

1- Keep Rangers out. Less TV money? Who cares, id rather have a fair and equal slice of a small cake than a shoddy slice of a larger one. EVERY team, including celtic would just have to downsize so it would be a more level playing field.

2- Re-structure, bigger, fairer and more competitive league. The only reason we have a shitty small boring league playing teams over and over again is so sky get 4 old firm games. well sky can fuck off. If the spl had 16 teams there would be more of a challenge at the top as the bigger diddies would have less 'no chance' games in Glasgow, would half the amount of gamea agianst each other essentially just taking points off each other etc... This with euro an relegationplay offs for added excitement would be worth it even if there was less money - everyone would be in the same boat so it wouldnt matter!

Totally agree with this, and I have always been in favour of 14 or 16 league expansion and equal revenue distribution. Like most modern businesses, however, there are too many Boards and Chairmen that are looking to short term profit and just cross their fingers that the long term will take care of itself.

Newco Rangers third division.

Oldco Rangers first division.

Anything else unacceptable.

Either way disband SPL, return to 16 team top league with equal voting rights, fairer split of revenues.

If sky want their OF games we could regionalise the league cup into areas (lots of derby games) or something similar.

This is the time for change. Our board need to be bold and brave. If they can pull it off The Well Society could secure our future as one of the leading lights in the Scottish game.

Exciting times.

Ultimately, this is about money, the board will without a shadow of a doubt allow Rangers back in to the SPL. The alternative is Dunfermline and Ross County. Do you really think Derek Weir, or any other SPL board member, wants to throw away all that dough from thousands of Rangers fans, including the TV revenue, and replace it with a couple of dozen County fans from Dingwall?

You really think the club wants to replace a wee short jaunt into Ibrox, with a long exhausting trek into the wilds of Cromarty.

Rangers will still be in the SPL next season, they might start with a points deduction and a transfer embargo, they might even be kicked out of the Scottish Cup, but they will still be an SPL side.

There isn't one single person in the heirarchy of Scottish Football that has the balls to kick these scumbags out of the SPL, because they're a cash cow for the rest of us, they'll all bend over and take it up the shit chute for the right amount of cash.

Ultimately, this is about money, the board will without a shadow of a doubt allow Rangers back in to the SPL. The alternative is Dunfermline and Ross County. Do you really think Derek Weir, or any other SPL board member, wants to throw away all that dough from thousands of Rangers fans, including the TV revenue, and replace it with a couple of dozen County fans from Dingwall?

You really think the club wants to replace a wee short jaunt into Ibrox, with a long exhausting trek into the wilds of Cromarty.

Rangers will still be in the SPL next season, they might start with a points deduction and a transfer embargo, they might even be kicked out of the Scottish Cup, but they will still be an SPL side.

There isn't one single person in the heirarchy of Scottish Football that has the balls to kick these scumbags out of the SPL, because they're a cash cow for the rest of us, they'll all bend over and take it up the shit chute for the right amount of cash.

How are they a cash cow?

Yes, without them there is no Sky deal but they and Celtic take 70% of that money.

For that privelege we get locked into a shitty 12 team league that bores the pants off everyone and has been driving attendances down for years.

We also have to do what they tell us because of the very democratic 11-1 vote that ensures they retain all the power.

If Rangers are allowed to get away with this it will be more of the same until our game is dead, and this time we will only have ourselves to blame cause we didnt have the balls to do something about it when the chance arose.

How are they a cash cow?

Yes, without them there is no Sky deal but they and Celtic take 70% of that money.

For that privelege we get locked into a shitty 12 team league that bores the pants off everyone and has been driving attendances down for years.

We also have to do what they tell us because of the very democratic 11-1 vote that ensures they retain all the power.

If Rangers are allowed to get away with this it will be more of the same until our game is dead, and this time we will only have ourselves to blame cause we didnt have the balls to do something about it when the chance arose.

The top 2 do take more than their fair share, but it is often exaggerated, as above. The breakdown of prize moneys (as per the SPL rules) is as follows:

1___17.00%

2___15.00%

3___9.50%

4___8.50%

5___8.00%

6___7.50%

7___7.00%

8___6.50%

9___6.00%

10__5.50%

11__5.00%

12__4.50%

If I was in charge there would be a 16 team league with the following prize breakdown:

1___10.00%

2___9.50%

3___9.00%

4___8.50%

5___8.00%

6___7.50%

7___7.00%

8___6.50%

9___6.00%

10__5.50%

11__5.00%

12__4.50%

13__4.00%

14__3.50%

15__3.00%

16__2.50%

Success still means more money, but it's split in a much fairer way, no jumps to the top 2.

If you split the same money in a linear fashion the money taken from the top teams could fund the extra 4 teams.

4th-12th would all receive exactly the same as they currently do, with 3rd receiving only 0.5% less.

EDIT: To fix dodgy typing

Edited by HanoMaSano

The idea that without the Old Firm there would be no TV deal is a complete myth. Obviously the TV companies would see the SPL as a less attractive competition and would offer less for the rights, but there would still be a TV deal.

Atlantic league back on radar!

What do you think Rangers and Celtic will do if this gets the green light?

The fact is both sides of the Old Firm couldn't give a monkeys about the SPL and have been talking about an exit for years. So why should we have any compassion for them? Get them to fuck I say and let them wait until this farce of a league gets set up.

The top 2 do take more than their fair share, but it is often exaggerated, as above. The breakdown of prize moneys (as per the SPL rules) is as follows:

1___17.00%

2___15.00%

3___9.50%

4___8.50%

5___8.00%

6___7.50%

7___7.00%

8___6.50%

9___6.00%

10__5.50%

11__5.00%

12__4.50%

If I was in charge there would be a 16 team league with the following prize breakdown:

1___10.00%

2___9.50%

3___9.00%

4___8.50%

5___8.00%

6___7.50%

7___7.00%

8___6.50%

9___6.00%

10__5.50%

11__5.00%

12__4.50%

13__4.00%

14__3.50%

15__3.00%

16__2.50%

Success still means more money, but it's split in a much fairer way, no jumps to the top 2.

If you split the same money in a linear fashion the money taken from the top teams could fund the extra 4 teams.

4th-12th would all receive exactly the same as they currently do, with 3rd receiving only 0.5% less.

EDIT: To fix dodgy typing

I admit I havent checked the figures out and merely used a commonly quoted figure. Dont doubt your figures on prize money, however, isnt there additional money distributed dependent on tv appearances?

Either way, my additional points stand. A lot of the money we lose from any prospective tv deal can be made back in other ways which can actually strengthen the scottish game as opposed to continually weakening it.

When Neil Doncaster says the game would lose 20M quid what he really means is the OLd Firm would be fucked and we can't let that happen. We could cut our cloth to suit, Old Firm couldn't cos they would stand to lose the majority of the 20M between them. I'd quite happily take a 16 team league (prefer 18 though) with a reduction in quality and more home grown talent getting an airing, that is what our game should be about given the size of the country. We're never going to dine at the top table so we should concentrate on making the best of what we have.

I can't say I'd turn my back on Motherwell if the newco thing happened, but then I've given up on the SPL as an entity long ago, I hate elitism and the fact that we might think we're doing well at someone else's expense whilst someone else is doing well at our expense. The carve-up of gate money, TV income and prize money all benefitting the Old Firm more than anyone has to be stopped and this is the opportunity to do just that. Back to split gates, don't give a fuck about live telly, even spread of prize money and a bigger league will all help towards a bright future for the game. Moaning about loss of TV revenue is an extremely short sighted outlook and will kill the game eventually, so whatever way Doncaster wants to view it, we will end up losing that 20M anyway if fans stop attending.The game is fucked, recongise that and do something now and we might be able to get it back.

• Like 2

I admit I havent checked the figures out and merely used a commonly quoted figure. Dont doubt your figures on prize money, however, isnt there additional money distributed dependent on tv appearances?

Either way, my additional points stand. A lot of the money we lose from any prospective tv deal can be made back in other ways which can actually strengthen the scottish game as opposed to continually weakening it.

Yeah the figure does get inflated and I've heard the 60/70% numbers floating about, so understandable that people believe them. There isn't any extra money for TV appearances in the league, the quoted is the complete breakdown.

Still, 32% of the money going to 2 clubs is still too much. Especially when those 2 clubs lose NO money with reduced gates due to televised games as the only home games which at on TV are guarenteed sells outs (flag unfurling at the start of the season, Old Firm derbies, title deciders). The rest of us lose out on ticket money whenever the sky/ESPN cameras roll in.

In my model, 19.5% of the money would go to the top 2, the savings used to subsidise a bigger league. The rest of the top 12 would be almost unaffected, and nobody could complain about the fairness of the payouts because of the linear increments.

When Neil Doncaster says the game would lose 20M quid what he really means is the OLd Firm would be fucked and we can't let that happen. We could cut our cloth to suit, Old Firm couldn't cos they would stand to lose the majority of the 20M between them. I'd quite happily take a 16 team league (prefer 18 though) with a reduction in quality and more home grown talent getting an airing, that is what our game should be about given the size of the country. We're never going to dine at the top table so we should concentrate on making the best of what we have.

I can't say I'd turn my back on Motherwell if the newco thing happened, but then I've given up on the SPL as an entity long ago, I hate elitism and the fact that we might think we're doing well at someone else's expense whilst someone else is doing well at our expense. The carve-up of gate money, TV income and prize money all benefitting the Old Firm more than anyone has to be stopped and this is the opportunity to do just that. Back to split gates, don't give a fuck about live telly, even spread of prize money and a bigger league will all help towards a bright future for the game. Moaning about loss of TV revenue is an extremely short sighted outlook and will kill the game eventually, so whatever way Doncaster wants to view it, we will end up losing that 20M anyway if fans stop attending.The game is fucked, recongise that and do something now and we might be able to get it back.

Found myself nodding all the way through that! All, with the exception that I would rather Scotland just had 2 leagues of 20 (or 1x20 and 1x22 to keep the same number of teams)