Motherwell Vs Aberdeen, League Game

Well 4 Europe

Massive game next week, wanted to get some things out the way but didn't want to clog up the already busy match thread from today. Clancy out, Hutch out, Lasley out and potentially Craigan out. What happened with Craggs anyway? Teams looking pretty stretched.

For me Humphrey must start, Murphy should be on the bench. I would also hope Carswell comes into the midfield instead of moving Law inside, don't think it really works. Sadly I can see that hapening.

If Craigan's injury is a bad one fuck knows who plays centre half. Page didn't look too clever today and it's looking likely that he could be the experienced one in the centre of defence next week. Who's the most promising u 19's centre half? He'll be on the bench at least whoever he is.

I would go

Randolph

Hateley Page Craigan/youth player Hammell

Humphrey Jennings Carswell Law

Ojamma Higdon

Need to protect that defence which is why I feel we need two ball winners in there and can't afford to put Law or Hateley into a midfield two with Jennings. It would also allow us to be flexible and let Law drift in to make a midfield three and Ojamaa can cover out wide to turn it into a 451 when we're not in possesion. Really hope Craggs is back as Page will need all the help he can get. Got to learn our lessons from today and stop pumping long balls, get it wide try and strech their defence. Be patient and don't force it.

Big 3 points at stake now and with an inexperienced looking defence we need to be on the front foot and our forward players need to have more of an imact than they had today. Hopefully we up our game and can snatch 3 points. Onwards and upwards..

• Like 1

If Aberdeen play the same system I think it would be foolish to play 4-4-2 especially with Lasley missing. Think we will have to match them up to get enough ball to cause them problems.

---------------Randolph--------------

Hateley----Hutchy----Clancy---Hammell

---------Jennings-------Law----------

Humphrey-------Ojamaa---------Murphy-

---------------Higdon----------------

I've not heard news about Hutchinson but people seem to be assuming he will definitely miss the match. Is that the case? To me it didn't look like a serious injury, just a heavy clash, and he's a tough boy, I'd expect him to be OK for the weekend unless there really was something more serious to it.

Given today's disappointment, you would naturally expect a reaction next week.

At this moment in time though, it's hard to see us turning it round given our injuries and suspensions, while Aberdeen's squad will have a few key additions.

Think we will need to score at least 3 to get 3 points.

If Aberdeen play the same system I think it would be foolish to play 4-4-2 especially with Lasley missing. Think we will have to match them up to get enough ball to cause them problems.

I've not heard news about Hutchinson but people seem to be assuming he will definitely miss the match. Is that the case? To me it didn't look like a serious injury, just a heavy clash, and he's a tough boy, I'd expect him to be OK for the weekend unless there really was something more serious to it.

Hutch is suspended.

EDIT and Clancy.

Hutch and Clancy suspended.

Randolph

Hateley Craigan (if fit) Page (experienced) Hammell

Murphy (playing due to suspensions) Law Jennings Humphrey

Higdon Ojamaa

If Crags is injured Ii'd consider playing three at the back with Jennings sitting between midfield and defense and Carswell coming in. Unless of course McCall has faith in an U19 player stepping up.

1-1 draw and in the current circumstances I'm not sure I'd be to disapointed with that.

Randolph

Higdon Ojamaa

If Crags is injured Ii'd consider playing three at the back with Jennings sitting between midfield and defense and Carswell coming in. Unless of course McCall has faith in an U19 player stepping up.

I would go along with that. As for the score.... I will settle for a draw.

I'm sure we'll get clarification on Lasley in the coming days.

The under 19s centre half is Euan Murray, who has been getting plaudits for his performances of late, but whether he can make the step up is a different matter. If Craigan is out and Lasley is available, I would have no qualms about playing Jennings at centre back. Not the quickest, but he is a good reader of the game and I think he would get by. I do think it would be detrimental to midfield to be missing both Lasley and Jennings though, so would think twice about Jennings stepping back if Lasley is out.

Other than that we are pretty stuck for options, putting a rookie centre half beside an experienced one wouldn't be so much of a problem, but putting one beside Page who has, if I remember correctly, only started two SPL games, both at left back, may leave us exposed. I suppose other options are putting Higdon there like Dundee United do occasionally with Daly, or putting Hateley there like Jim Gannon did in the second half at New Douglas Park. I hope it's not the latter.

Think we have got to try and bring a CB in from the youths, disrupting the team more than we have too will be really hard. If Joe says we have a decent lad in the reserves he's got to play. Look at when Reynolds first came on the scene, was behind Bobby Donnelly in the queue and played as last resort, never left the team after that.....

Randolph

Higdon Ojamaa

1-1 draw and in the current circumstances I'm not sure I'd be to disapointed with that.

i agree with that tbh, may as well try something different

......................Randolph.....................

.....Hateley........Page...........Hammell.....

........................Jennings...................

..Humph...Carswell.......Law........Murph...

...............Higdon..........Ojamaa...............

i agree with that tbh, may as well try something different

......................Randolph.....................

.....Hateley........Page...........Hammell.....

........................Jennings...................

..Humph...Carswell.......Law........Murph...

...............Higdon..........Ojamaa...............

Cannae possibly play a 3-man defence with 2 full-backs in it, bonkers stuff.

I'm sure the physios will be working round the clock on Craigan and Hutch and one of them will appear on Saturday to play alongside Page even if not fully fit. Failing that, we have a few decent prospects at u19's in my opinion, Murray being one and the other being a Scouser (whos name escapes me) - both players are extremely raw, but I suppose the same can still be said about Hutchison.

• Like 1

Is Lasley definatley suspended? Thought any suspensions were cup?

Assuming he's out, along with Hutchy and Clancy, then I would go with the following:

Randolph

Hately Page Craigan/Yoof Hammill

Jennings

Humphrey Carswell Law

Ojamma

Higdon

Jennings needs to play a bit deeper to give protection, particularly if Craigans out.

Aberdeen have no full backs. The only time they looked vulnerable was when we went at them down the flanks. We need to play with width.

Ojamma should probably drop back a bit from the very front, to help bolster that midfield. He can also then do some direct running at them, which they won't like.

Even though Aberdeen are shite, and until yesterday have been our bitches, 3 points on Saturday would be massive considering the knock to the confidence our lads will have taken, as well as the injury and suspension situation.

This is going to be time for Humphrey to really stake his claim to get back in the first 11, for Carswell to start making a name for himself and probably most importantly for Page to grow into his role. We won't be able to keep Hutchy forever, and Craigans getting on a bit. We will need a replacement CB sooner rather than later. Page's contracts up in the summer. He needs to step up and show why we should keep him.

Aberdeen managed two goals yesterday, but they dont really pose too much of an attacking threat. If we were playing a better team I would be tempted to play Jenno at CB and Higgy in the midfield.

Hutchinson is concussed as well as banned. Will Craigan not take 2 or 3 weeks to come back from his achilles injury? Pretty sure those don't clear up overnight. Forbes into midfield alongside Jenno if Las is suspended.

Whatever the team, sleeves to be rolled up, focus to be at 100%. Scottish Cup would have been icing on the cake but thus game is our meat and potatoes, particularly with what is to be gained this season, so get intae them. Be relentless.

Cannae possibly play a 3-man defence with 2 full-backs in it, bonkers stuff.

I'm sure the physios will be working round the clock on Craigan and Hutch and one of them will appear on Saturday to play alongside Page even if not fully fit. Failing that, we have a few decent prospects at u19's in my opinion, Murray being one and the other being a Scouser (whos name escapes me) - both players are extremely raw, but I suppose the same can still be said about Hutchison.

He'll be workin hard on Craigan yes. Not hutch cos u can't hurry a concussion, and he's suspended anyway

This is gonna be a huge test.

Not only do we have the CH issue, we need to find a way to combat their height and our lack of, otherwise we will get another roasting at set peices.

Dont suppose there are any u19's that are 6'5"?

Also if Broon lines up the same way again we need to match up his 3 in midfield.

How we do all that and maintain a level of performance I have no idea.

Good luck Stuart!

First of all we need to play our game, pumping high balls up to Higdon is not going to beat Aberdeen, Broon has filled his team with big heffers so the way to beat them is to run rings round them, like we usually do. Up against it from the word go on Sunday cos of the officials howler, that early in the game completely changes the outlook. We need the first goal this week.

Worst case scenario we will be without Hutch, Clancy, Crags and Las for Saturday, and with Saunders just back in training you can't expect him to step in. our only other defender is Ross McKinnon but he is on loan at Alloa. Having also played on loan at Dumbarton this season I don't think we can recall him, so I'd pull Higgy back to partner Pagey at the back. For me he's the only viable option to deal with their 'land of the giants' team!

Further forward I think we need to move Murph on to the bench as he hasn't been at his best, Hump's pace will prove useful on the counter.

Formation-wise I feel we'll need to be a bit more cautious, given our limited resources and the way they'll set up. Might mean a long tedious 90 minutes, but if it means we get a positive result I couldn't care less!

My team:

Randolph

Hateley Higdon Page Hammell

Jennings Forbes

Humphrey Law Ojamaa

McHugh

A point will be alright for me. 0-0.

Assuming aberdeen play the same way as yesterday and las, crags, clancy and hutchy out, I'd want to see 3 in the centre of the park, sometimes it was as if our midfield wasnt there. Though I hope mccall just does the obvious thing and brings in carswell rather than attempting some concoction of hateley and law with humphrey at RB or something.

No idea what to do at centre back, maybe higgy at a push, can mckinnon play and more improtantly is he any good?

Two options IMO, depending on whether or not we have a good enough young CB:

Randolph

Hateley Page Higdon Hammell

Jennings Carswell

Humphrey Law Daley

Ojamma

Alternatively, a youth player at centre half, higdon up top and henrik out wide instead of Daley.