Motherwell Vs Aberdeen, League Game

Well 4 Europe

Just tweeted Richard Gordon regards Lasley's suspension and his reply said "Straight red for violent conduct, will miss next SPL game".

There goes my plan of Jennings at centre back, can't do without both him and Lasley. Unfortunately you never hear of an achilles injury disappearing quickly, so things don't look promising for Crags. I'd say this is the first time this season our thin squad has really been tested.

I think its time that jamie Murphy was given a rest as he's clearly lost confidence. Chris Humphrey should be a direct replacement. Likewise Stuart Carswell should come in for Keith Lasley. If Stephen Craigan doesn't make it then I'd go for a loan signing. Any other option doesn't bear thinking about.

I think its time that jamie Murphy was given a rest as he's clearly lost confidence. Chris Humphrey should be a direct replacement. Likewise Stuart Carswell should come in for Keith Lasley. If Stephen Craigan doesn't make it then I'd go for a loan signing. Any other option doesn't bear thinking about.

Why spend money on a loan signing for one game? Play one of the U19s. It's one game, we may find that one of them has the strength of character to step up. If every time we have a crisis like this, we go for a loan signing, we'll never find out if our U19s have what it takes...

Why spend money on a loan signing for one game? Play one of the U19s. It's one game, we may find that one of them has the strength of character to step up. If every time we have a crisis like this, we go for a loan signing, we'll never find out if our U19s have what it takes...

Some merit in that Greg, but if we stick in a raw 18 year old with Jon Page to guide him then I fear a real beating. That wouldn't do anyone's confidence any good except Fallon's and Vernon's and I ain't for helping them. Peter Houston too would be delighted.

Although the 4-4-2 with Ojamaa alongside Higdon has been working, I reckon this is one game we'd be worth reverted back to a 4-5-1 in a bid to pack the midfield and protect the defence. Got to agree with bringing in a youngster, it might not pay off but inexperienced or not, there's just invaluable traits regarding defensive positioning etc that an U19 centre half will have and someone like Higdon won't.

With that in mind, I'd be looking at something along the lines of:

----------------------------------------- Randolph ----------------------------------------------

Hateley -------- Page ----------- U19 Centre Half (if Craigan's out) ---- Hammell

------------------------------ Carswell ---------- Jennings ----------------------------------

Humphrey ---------------------------- Ojamaa ---------------------------------------- Law

------------------------------------------- Higdon ------------------------------------------------

Not ideal, but I think protecting a very inexperienced central defensive partnership with both Jennings and Carswell, and relying on the pace of Humphrey, Ojamaa and Law to support Higdon, is the best bet for us.

However, with a chance of it being one up front for us and Brown undoubtedly sticking to his defensive tactics, I might check up on the 0-0 odds.

Some merit in that Greg, but if we stick in a raw 18 year old with Jon Page to guide him then I fear a real beating. That wouldn't do anyone's confidence any good except Fallon's and Vernon's and I ain't for helping them. Peter Houston too would be delighted.

Can agree with parts of what both you and Melvin have said. We have been pretty reluctant to give any under 19s, Carswell aside game time in the past couple of years and times like this would be when they would be handy. But I agree with you in the fact that I would be ok with playing a rookie with Craigan, Clancy or Hutchinson, but not Page who could probably be defined as a rookie himself.

Page has been kept in the shadows for 2+years now. When he's come on its fair to say he hasnt yet given us his best. This is his opportunity to really step up to the mark& show what he can do. If he is going to make it, then this is his time!

You never know, he might deliver the goods& stake a claim at being hutchy's partner.

Lets hope anyway!

Was Lasley not out for this game anyway? Second of three? If what Mr Gordon says is correct, that'll be three he's out for!! dash2.gif

Well, considering the above and the other suspensions, Get Higgy back with Page and have OJ, Omar, Murphy and Mchugh starting with Jenno and carswell

Randolph - Hateley - Higgy - Page - Hammy - Omar - Jenno - Carswell - McHugh - Murphy - Ojamaa

Possibly our most attacking team of the season? laugh.gif

Is Saunders training again? If he is I would like to see him play.He is a young lad so should have the residual fitness for 90 mins. The question would be how far through a rehabilitaion process is he? If his ankle is strong enough he should play.

Saunders/ Page, Saunders/ Craigen, Craigan/ Page. These boys are all paid salaries to be defenders so any one of these combinations should work fine.

I'm really not into this Higdon at CB idea. Think we really need him up top. Bring one of the young lads in. Give them a chance!!! I would rather a natural defender played there than a striker. Plus we need at least some pace back. A defensive pairing of Page and Higdon gives me the fear.

Fair point, and despite my previous post I too am not a fan of the idea of higdon at CB. However, the thing is stepping up from the 19s isnt just about being a good defender, its also stepping up the pace, pressure and dealing with the rough and tumble that the opposition will dish out. Higdon might not be the best defender but he ticks all the other boxes. If we (and I hope we do) have a youth player that mccall feels can step up then it would possibly be our best bet and a great chance for them too!

---------------Randolph----------

Hately---Higdon---Page---Hammell

-------Jennings-------Carswell-----

Humphrey------Law-------Daley

-----------------Ojamaa---------

Lets just run rings round them. Attack is the best form of defence......especially when your defence is fecked!

• Like 1

Nicky Devlin is a full back. Mind you so was Reynolds when he was drafted in at centre back. A back three of Hateley, Hammell and Page just wouldn't cut it against Fallon and Vernon for me.

yeah, not sure what the alternative is though, unless crags or saunders can get fit.

Whatever team lines up it's going to be extremely makeshift and we need to be patient and give them even more support than usual. We have to work harder at stopping them getting crosses in at all costs. We didn't do that well enough on Sunday!! In times of adversity teams often roll up their sleeves but I fear a 3-0 or 4-0 gubbing the likes of which Aberdeen haven't dished out in years.

The last time I think I can remember us having no centre halfs was in a Scottish Cup game v Dundee Utd when Derek Townsley had to play centre half!! And it didn't end well that day....

---------------Randolph----------

Hately---Higdon---Page---Hammell

-------Jennings-------Carswell-----

Humphrey------Law-------Daley

-----------------Ojamaa---------

Lets just run rings round them. Attack is the best form of defence......especially when your defence is fecked!

If higdon can do a job at centre half then that would be my team. A 3 man midfield is a must, while they struggle to deal with pace down the wings. Ojamma is good enough to play upfront himself and would cause them bother.

I'm sorry but Higdon at centreback just doesn't cut it for me. He has height I get that but what else does he have going for him at centre half? We know he's not the most mobile, doesn't strike me as a great reader of the game and his tackling is generally pretty horrific. Why would you want him anywhere near centre defence. I know people want experience next to Page but Higdon has no experience at centre defence so what advantage do you get from playing him there?

I'd much rather give a chance to a young natural CB who's been trained and played in the that position for years and is accustomed to the role than sticking a Striker in there. What does Higdon know about defensive positioning, keeping a defensive line and working in tandem with a partner etc. Give the young boy Murray(who's 6 foot anyway accoriding to the fishal) or whoever else is the best young prospect a chance to play alongside Page. These young boys need a chance and he might be another Bobby Donnelly or Willie Kinniburgh type. Or he could end up like Quinn, Reynolds, Hutchinson or Saunders. Personally I'd like to see one of the young boys given a chance.

The only advantage I can see playing Higgy at CB is for Aberdeen as we'd be playing our top goalscorer in defence...

• Like 3

I am not convince Craggs or Saunders will be available. I think we will either see a 3-5-2 or we may see one of the under 19's coming in. perhaps young Nicky Devlin?

Whoever comes in it won't be Nicky Devlin who is out with a serious long term injury.

This is a big game for us with a lot at stake and so I'd still go fror a loan signing if thats possible. A heavy defeat will hurt our confidence and boost our rivals like Dundee United who have convinced themselves they'll catch Rangers.

We also have to hope that Steve Hammell and Tom Hately play a lot better. They have to prevent crosses into our box at all costs and close wide players down quicker and more effectively. No silly corners either (ref permitting of course) or free kicks. I don't care how big the Dons strikers are they will not score with their heads if they can't get the ball in the air. If a Dons player player appears 40 metres from our goal I'd like to see a pack of our lads close them down. It'd be great to see Darren Randolph bored out of his skull through inactivity.

Revert to the tried and tested 2-3-5 method of my youth, everyone used to play it. :thumbup:

I would love that lol

Randolph

Hateley Hammell

Carswell Jennings Law

Humphrey Ojamaa Higdon Daley Murphy

Did Jimmy Calderwood not adopt that formation briefly for Dunfermline a few years back? In all seriousness, will be interesting to see how our team will line up on saturday, hoping Craigans back, wouldn't be to confident with an inexperienced CB partnership.