Motherwell Vs Aberdeen, League Game

Well 4 Europe

Of course a good centre half is more that just a good headerer of the ball! And i agree its annoying when folk assume that. But which aberdeen player exactly is going to run at our defence? Maybe megginson from out wide where hopefully hammell/ hateley will deal with it. IMO its more mental to suggest playing jennings CB up against vernon and fallon and further weakening our midfield! As I said in my previous post if we have a capable young lad then that's the best bet.

Sounds like cummins is coming in anyway and hopefully he has a stormer!! Surely murphy gets benched for this one??

To suggest Higdon can play CH is no more ridiculous than suggesting he cant.

As far as Im aware he has never played there so no one really knows.

Similarly with Jennings, although he is a good reader of the game, the height advantage given away to the land of giants would leave us with real problems at set pieces.

The only reason I suggested Higdon was that I have no knowledge of the U19s and I really dont fancy Higdon up top in a 4-5-1 as I think we have established that doesnt work and we HAVE to match them up in midfield this time after sundays performance.

The Cummins story sounds encouraging, dont know the boy but hopefully he will come in and have a stormer.

Its all about opinions......

To suggest Higdon can play CH is no more ridiculous than suggesting he cant.

Of course it is. :lol:

Whether you think he can do a job there or not, he is an old fashioned (and slow) centre forward and therefore the chances of him not being able to play at centre half - with all that entails such as defensive positioning, the offside trap etc - are far bigger than the chances of him being able to slot into a defensive pairing with Jonathan Page. Therefore, it undoubtedly is more ridiculous to suggest he can.

Of course it is. :lol:

Whether you think he can do a job there or not, he is an old fashioned (and slow) centre forward and therefore the chances of him not being able to play at centre half - with all that entails such as defensive positioning, the offside trap etc - are far bigger than the chances of him being able to slot into a defensive pairing with Jonathan Page. Therefore, it undoubtedly is more ridiculous to suggest he can.

That is your opinion to which you are entitled and one which I would never deem to call ridiculous.

Stuart McCall has kept Higdon on the field of play on a number of occasions for his defensive qualities at set pieces, so given our current plight I didnt think it was such a stretch to suggest he might go down that route this week. Ideal, no, but its a desperate situation. Clearly you disagree.

Thankfully it looks like we will never have to find out as it looks like Cummins is going to play. Still a risk with a young player alongside another one so inexperienced but if the manager thinks he's up to it, great.

Dont want to see the big man dropped but if thats the case and we go 4-5-1 then he surely has to start on the bench.

• Like 1

That is your opinion to which you are entitled and one which I would never deem to call ridiculous.

You have suggested that the claim he can play centre half is no more ridiculous than the claim he can't. That is suggesting that there is an equal chance of both being right. My point is that's obviously incorrect. A big, slow striker will undoubtedly have more chance of failing at centre half than at succeeding. Whether you personally think he might do a job or not is irrelevant to that fact.

Stuart McCall has kept Higdon on the field of play on a number of occasions for his defensive qualities at set pieces, so given our current plight I didnt think it was such a stretch to suggest he might go down that route this week. Ideal, no, but its a desperate situation.

Stuart McCall has indeed used Higdon for his defensive qualities at set pieces, in that the defensive qualities at set pieces involve nothing more than attempting to win the ball in the air. This can and will still be done on Saturday. However, one thing Stuart McCall - and, to my knowledge, no manager - has done is use Higdon for his defensive qualities for the rest of the game. As far as I'm aware, big out-and-out strikers who's main priority is to score goals do not spend a particularly long amount of time in training practicing zonal and man marking, defensive positioning, maintaining the offside trap, jockeying attackers, and many of the other duties that are expected of centre halves. That is why I find the notion ridiculous.

But he's big, so it's all good.

You have suggested that the claim he can play centre half is no more ridiculous than the claim he can't. That is suggesting that there is an equal chance of both being right. My point is that's obviously incorrect. A big, slow striker will undoubtedly have more chance of failing at centre half than at succeeding. Whether you personally think he might do a job or not is irrelevant to that fact.

Stuart McCall has indeed used Higdon for his defensive qualities at set pieces, in that the defensive qualities at set pieces involve nothing more than attempting to win the ball in the air. This can and will still be done on Saturday. However, one thing Stuart McCall - and, to my knowledge, no manager - has done is use Higdon for his defensive qualities for the rest of the game. As far as I'm aware, big out-and-out strikers who's main priority is to score goals do not spend a particularly long amount of time in training practicing zonal and man marking, defensive positioning, maintaining the offside trap, jockeying attackers, and many of the other duties that are expected of centre halves. That is why I find the notion ridiculous.

But he's big, so it's all good.

I submit!

After deservedly losing to Aberdeen in the Cup on Sunday, and with us missing some key players through injuries and suspensions while Aberdeen are able to welcome a few key players back into their side then you'd be expecting another away win this Saturday.

But no result would surprise me from this one, we might lose 3-0, yet we might win 2-1. It might finish 3-3, it might finish 0-0. I think it's going to be a hard one to call.

I'm going to go for a 0-0 draw which in the circumstances would be a decent result for us.

• Like 2

Las officially now suspended for two games, we knew it anyway but the SFA have posted the most current suspensions and he's on it. Jonathan Page is also apparently now suspended for our first Scottish Cup tie next season.

Not looking forward to this due to the most makeshift and inexperienced of centre half pairings turning out for us, but you never know as quite often in adversity teams can roll up their sleeves and prevail. Hopefully that will be the case.

I have a feeling there will be a few goals in this game but can see us needing 3 or more to get anything from it.

Would take a draw all things considered.

To hell with all this "I would take a draw" nonsense!! We are at home, where we have been scoring for fun, so lets focus on the other end of the park where we can be more effective, no matter who plays in defence!

Would bring in Humph for Murphy, Carswell for Lasley and Crags (fitness permitting) for Clancy. If not, give the young lad his chance. Nothing better than seeing a youth player come in and play a blinder!

Go a 4-2-3-1 formation. A front 4 of Humph, Law, Ojamma n big Higdon is a handful for any team. Lets get at them from the start, let them play there shitey hoof up the park tactics, am predicting a 3-1 home win :cheers:

• Like 2

i dont know what to think about saturday......for the first time ever, i think i agree with MJC!! anything could happen

i think i am in the camp, that as long as we dont lose, i'll walk away from FP happy

(Dazzer in disguise) - I do think the Hump should start, but he needs to be more consistent. He won us the game in Dunfermline, he made a difference in the Aberdeen game - but he needs to do that kind of stuff for 60-70mins, not 10-15

if we play 4231/451 and HIggy is up top, then we need to get players to support him (and the fans need to stop cristising him too, last week if was obvious that a few had come back out the woodwork (absolute bangers of the highest order)

come on Motherwell - lets show these f**kers we've got the fight to stay where we are (and deserve to be)

• Like 1

Noticed the under 19s line up earlier, no Murray or Cummins.

I think the only way Page will be here next season is if the club see him as a cheaper option for cover than bringing someone in. At 22, his days of being called a youngster are past him.

i dont know what to think about saturday......for the first time ever, i think i agree with MJC!! anything could happen

i think i am in the camp, that as long as we dont lose, i'll walk away from FP happy

(Dazzer in disguise) - I do think the Hump should start, but he needs to be more consistent. He won us the game in Dunfermline, he made a difference in the Aberdeen game - but he needs to do that kind of stuff for 60-70mins, not 10-15

if we play 4231/451 and HIggy is up top, then we need to get players to support him (and the fans need to stop cristising him too, last week if was obvious that a few had come back out the woodwork (absolute bangers of the highest order)

come on Motherwell - lets show these f**kers we've got the fight to stay where we are (and deserve to be)

Dont worry Weesacs..................Humphrey and OJ... will be the best partnership! believe me....

:yahoo:

To hell with all this "I would take a draw" nonsense!! We are at home

Normally I'd agree with you, I'd be disappointed with anything less than a win at home. Not that I'd predict a win normally mind you.

However there are some important factors to consider for tomorrow. We are missing several key players through injuries and suspensions; we're going to have to put out a makeshift defence consisting of God knows who; Keith Lasley will be missing from the middle of the park and we seem to struggle when him and Jennings are out of the side or are off form. Aberdeen on the other hand are going to be able to bring back some key players so they will be a stronger side tomorrow than they were last week when they deservedly beat us and outplayed us.

Taking all of that into consideration, I would rip your arm off for a point right now. As I said though, I still think this game could go either way. Aberdeen aren't a brilliant side and they can be beaten and whilst we have key players missing, we still have players who can hurt them. Hopefully our 'defence' tomorrow does better than what we saw in the Cup game.