Motherwell Vs Aberdeen, League Game

Well 4 Europe

Think it would have been a travesty if they'd got anything. Although they saw plenty of the ball 2nd half they did little with it, Page and Cummins were absolutely tremendous and looked like they'd played all season long. Terrific all round, brilliant goal from captain Hammy, massive three points.

I thought that was excellent today considering the team we put on the park. First 10 minutes I feared for the worst, also thought for the first 5 Cummins looked like a rabbit in headlights, but well done to the boy, he got over it quickly and came into the match. He did himself justice today.

Fair enough it wasnt a polished Motherwell performance, but we did what we needed to and the boys, even the youngsters, took everything that Aberdeen threw at them including fists, elbows, kicks and bodychecks. I thought Carswell was maybe showing them too much respect, but by the end of the game he started getting stuck right into the Aberdeen players, good to see.

Page for me was outstanding. After the lack of chances he's had, and the stick he's (rightly) taken when he has been brought in, today was the day he had to stand up and be counted. He did everything and more, marshalled the defence, kept Cummins head in the game and I think rose to the challenge. Could it be that lack of reserve league and in effect match practice is what he was missing? Now he's getting a chance he's finding his game. A couple more performances like that and we need to sign him up for next season. As I said previously, Hutchy is a big bid waiting to happen. We are going to need cover.

Aberdeen its got to be said are absolutley brutal. Long balls, and all they wanted to do was bully their way through the game. I really wouldnt want to watch that every week. Shame we have now been put out the cups by two shite teams, but if we could get that 2nd place, then who cares!

Concentrate on securing 3rd first, United and St J not yet out the window, but we are heading the right way!

Thought the 3 young lads were exceptional today after an initial shaky opening 10 mins or so!!

Carswell put in so much work in the Midfield and got the better of an experienced player like Rae, in my opinion!! Fantastic performance!!

Mention for Humphrey as well, roasted that left back all day, was a brilliant outlet!! i'll not mention his final ball at times tho!!

Was I the only one how felt that OJ did not look interested in the 2nd half. Seemed to let his head go down for some reason. Injury possibly?

I thought he tried non-stop throughout the game to be honest. He did look to have tired towards the end though, which is to be expected.

I though Ojamaa was carrying a knock and was very sluggish except when he had the ball at his feet, and as soon as he lost it he pulled up again. That said even playing poorer by his standards he was miles better than any of the players selected by Broony!

Thought the ref had a good game , apart from waiting too long to bring back the foul near the half way line.

Thought so too with the exception of letting that big carthorse Considine get away with murder. Rory Fallon fouls every time he goes up for a ball, last week he got away with it today he didn,t.

Thought the ref had a good game , apart from waiting too long to bring back the foul near the half way line.

Agree that the ref had a decent game overall, tried to play advantage when he could to keep the play flowing, but thought he chickened out of giving Considine a second yellow. After he got booked he committed a few too many fouls, jersey pulling etc and I'm sure if that was Jennings or Lasley they would have got a 2nd yellow. But passmarks to the officials and well done to the team for breaking Aberdeen's 13 game unbeaten run. thumbup.gif

I was more than happy with McCalls team selection, as in my opinion he didnt have many other options particularly at the back BUT I was pretty worried about Page as I havent been impressed by him at all anytime I've watched him and teh fact that he was the senior man in the middle of defence worried me even more BUT I thought he was tremendous and easily MOTM and I think he thrived on the responsibility of marshalling the defence and he really helped Cummins (who was a credit to himself and the U19s) through the match. Thought Carswell, Jenno and Higdon all had smashing games as well, but two moments of magic from Hammell and Randolph won us a great 3 points.

• Like 2

Take a bow number 8. Absolutely outstanding today, played just in front of the back four, talked them through the game and barely wasted a pass. The centre half pairing did really well too. I actually thought our biggest area of concern early doors was the leftback channel though Law and Hammell where they seemed to be getting in far too easily. But Law retracted deeper when Aberdeen had the ball and as we did that Aberdeen became more and more impotent. Stunning goal and we did very well. Played a bit deep at time in second half but we seemed pretty secure. We could have had a second if Humphrey had had a better final ball.

Thought Brines had a decent game too. Special mention for remembering the yellow card for the pull after the game had ebbed and flowed for a couple of minutes. I don;t think I ever remember a referee receiving a round of applause before. However, Considine should have been off for persistent fouling and you could argue that the number 11 could have been off for an elbow. But neither decision changed the course of the game which is why refereeing is a harsh game because Thomson made fewer errors last week but the one he and his team made changed the outcome.

Great performance from the whole team , that includes the manager aswell for learning from last weeks defeat and getting their defence turning with us using a longer ball and our pace (apart from Higgy obviously) :notworthy:

This sums up Aberdeen fans for me. You don't deserve anything other than where you are....

"not good enough. i really think that there should be an amicable parting of the ways between ourselves and brown, regardless of whatever happens in the scottish cup. he is not the the man to take us to where we should be, ie top four minimum every season. plus his football style is defensive gash. shows how bad scottish football is when the likes of motherwell and st johnstone are in the top 5 or so."

• Like 2

Some crap posts about this game which i'll leave alone. Personally thought we did marvellously well keeping a clean sheet and a FAB 3 points although the 2nd half was as turgid a game as i've ever seen at the Ark but feck it who cares. CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WE'RE HAVIN A LAUGH!!! :thumbup: .Quick mention to Jonny Page who was fab today and MUST keep his place for next week. :drinks:

Young Carswell looks to have a bright future. Thought he was very good in the middle, really grew into the game. Got stuck in, got from box to box and was unlucky not to get a goal. Can see why McCall likes him and gave him a new long term deal. Hopefully more of the same next week.

Indeed.

Seeing performances from our youngsters like that give us a bit of hope for when some players are moved on over the next few years.

I was also impressed by McHugh, even if he didn't get much time to impress.

This sums up Aberdeen fans for me. You don't deserve anything other than where you are....

"not good enough. i really think that there should be an amicable parting of the ways between ourselves and brown, regardless of whatever happens in the scottish cup. he is not the the man to take us to where we should be, ie top four minimum every season. plus his football style is defensive gash. shows how bad scottish football is when the likes of motherwell and st johnstone are in the top 5 or so."

Played five at the back against a critically under strength Motherwell side who he had beaten the previous week with an adventureous three up front formation.

It was a huge tactical blunder from Brown today.

A very important three points and a lot of credit should go to the youngsters who rose to the challenge today. A makeshift and inexperienced central defence held out comfortably. Steve Hammell scored a cracking 30 yarder although it has to be said the Aberdeen defence invited him him to have a crack and he did just that. We exerted a fair bit of pressure but didn't trouble the Dons keeper as often as we should have. Henrik was causing panic in the red ranks but didn't look fully fit. Thought Chris Humphrey too had had a decent game as did the inspirational Jenno.

I thought Ian Brines had a poor game riddled with inconsistencies although he didn't make any major blunders fortunately. Considine can consider himself very fortunate to last the 90 minutes as can McArdle.

An absolutely fantastic and crucial three points in what was difficult circumstances for us. With Rangers losing to Dundee Utd earlier in the day we were presented with a fantastic opportunity to move to joint second and maintain our lead over United in third and we duly took it. Say what you like about Aberdeen but they are a very difficult side to beat as their 13 match unbeaten run shows and yet our 'makeshift' side has managed to halt that run. Brilliant from the youngsters who stepped up to the plate and put in good shifts, that really does give encouragement. We are now in an absolutely fantastic position in the SPL and let's hope we can maintain some level of consistency over the next few weeks. :cheers:

• Like 1