No Reserve Team Next Year?

CoF

I only read about this yeterday however it was announced last month so don't know if this has already been discussed. Don't know the in's and out's but apparently the SPL are planning to scrap the reserve league next season in a bid to cut squad sizes and remove some of the financial pressure SPL clubs are feeling a the moment. Someone else may be able to expand on the reasoning behind it?

I know nothing about economics in football so it's not really my place to comment on whether this is the right move or not however it is without doubt going to damaging to Scottish football as a whole for a number of reasons which I canny be bothered going into just now.

The reserve team has always been an absolutely integral part of the club and is surely a necessity to ensure a strong first team? While the move is applicable to all SPL teams and might not give any one team an advantage I think this is surely a massive step backwards for Scottish football.

Surely it's no the only option?

I think it's actually more of an initiative for help nurture U18, U19 players, rather than to relieve financial restraints. What's the point in having old duffers playing in the reserves with young talent sitting on the bench? I personally think it's a good idea, but will probably benefit other teams more than us because we do it already.

Frazzle

I've commented on this before. It's a joke. Players trying to build up match sharpness when returning from injury etc.. Trying players in different positions without the major risk of doing it in a 1st team match.. Looking at trialists.. There's so many reason's why if the league is scrapped then it's a total joke.

It's easy enough to arrange bounce games these days for folk coming back from injury and trialists. I don't think those uncommon scenarios justifies a weekly match and full league of fixtures.

Frazzle

Why dont we call those bounce games reserve matches?

Folk are coming back from injury all the time (and I don't even know where that is)

I've commented on this before. It's a joke. Players trying to build up match sharpness when returning from injury etc.. Trying players in different positions without the major risk of doing it in a 1st team match.. Looking at trialists..

A lot of those things could still be accommodated via the U19 setup if they were to allow one or two over-age players in the squad. Might benefit the U19's themselves to occasionally have a more experienced player alongside them, too.

I suppose we can call them anything we like, but if we have a reserve league it means to having a commitment to fulfill fixtures which means often unneccesary inconvenience and travelling costs.

For bringing folk back from injury (which I don't think happened once last season) and trialists, it's much better to just phone Albion Rovers or someone and throw a set of goals up at Dalziel Park.

Frazzle

I suppose we can call them anything we like, but if we have a reserve league it means to having a commitment to fulfill fixtures which means often unneccesary inconvenience and travelling costs.

For bringing folk back from injury (which I don't think happened once last season) and trialists, it's much better to just phone Albion Rovers or someone and throw a set of goals up at Dalziel Park.

Frazzle

McLean?

Allowing one or two players over 19 into the u19 squad would allowe for players coming back from injury or back to fitness. I can see the positives but the fact the majoriy of clubs back scrapping it shows there is obviously not that much of a demand for it.

Its been proven that reserve games don't give you match sharpness.

Playing in a new position in a reserve game is all fine and well but when it comes to first team action its a totally different game.

Reserve games are pretty much pointless and an unnessescary expenditure.

From a purely personal point of view, I think it's very much a step in the right direction... In terms of Motherwell FC (and most other SPL clubs barring the Old Firm) at current, the Reserves is made up predominantly of U19's players who are forced to play two games per week which completely and utterly disrupts their day-to-day training/learning.

Furthermore, clubs are forced into keeping on four or five players on full-time wages purely to play in the Reserve league with little or no hope of getting into the first-team (and that is meant with absolutely no disrespect to these lads - I am taking an historical viewpoint on that). They inevitably last a season or two before being released and going junior or into the lower leagues in Scotland. That cycle repeats and repeats and the costs to clubs is probably well over 100k in just wages alone per year.

That's not even beginning to mention the formal structuring of the Reserve League that states you MUST play team x on date x at venue x. Now, why on earth should Motherwell travel to, for example, Inverness to play a reserve game when a bounce game (which, if you ever watch the Reserves, you'll know that's all it is) against a local side would significantly reduces costs.

If a club like Motherwell want to get players sharp(er) in preparation for a game, they can just as easily arrange an in-formal bounce game (remember, the likes of red cards in the Reserve league rule players out of first-team games) against Celtic/Hamilton Accies/Partick Thistle etc or a re-formed U19's that allows one or two players over the age of 21 to take part.

A regional and informal bounce-game set-up to get players fit/sharp is a much, much, much better solution in my opinion.

I don't think any final call has been made on it though...

'Flow

Have to agree I think this is a sensible move if this goes through, The amount of games our under 19 players must play every year with the under 19 league and the reserve league. There is also the cost factor, we need to rent a park for these games, arrange officals etc.

Although the format has to be changed slightly to allow a few over ager players to play, like McLean to give him a few games on his way back.

thumbs up for this one.

lee

Agree 100% with Flows comments on this one as the reserve league is neither good financially or for the players. A club the size of ours just does not have the resources to field 3 teams every week and what sort of return do we get for taking part in the reserves - probably sod all!

It's not for definate yet but how is it a massive step backwards?

I always thought the reserves were a vital step between U19s and the full team, giving younger players the chance to play against more experienced opponents and giving injured players the chance to work their back into the game.

That said, having read the responses on this thread it would appear that I'm talking shite.

I always thought the reserves were a vital step between U19s and the full team, giving younger players the chance to play against more experienced opponents and giving injured players the chance to work their back into the game.

That said, having read the responses on this thread it would appear that I'm talking shite.

In a lot of leagues aye, that's the case. But have a look at the reserve teams in the SPL, you'll see the vast majority or them are full of the under 19s.

It works in Italy, Portugal and Spain (please note B Teams are no reserve teams and no one who has played 12 games for the A team can play for the B team nor can anyone over 26.) I think financially it would be a great thing and also as said it will make the Old Firm think twice about signing every Tom, Dick and Harry.

• 2 months later...

SPL have reversed the decision and a reserve league WILL take place next season now....

SPL

On an unrelated issue, according to the SPL website they've now made it even harder for Dundee United and Aberdeen to attract a crowd for the game on Thursday, 7th. May. Kick-off time? 00:00....!