Motherwell Vs Rangers Discussion Thread

Ianc

Strange game.

We probably didn't deserve to lose over the peice and I thought we looked comfortable for most of the match but that was probably down to Rangers being just as poor as us.

However we took the lead and lost it in a couple of minutes. We had a point in the bag with a minute to go and couldn't defend a corner. If you really want to finish second, if you really want Champions League, if you really want to win, that's not good enough.

We looked shakey defensively, we couldn't pass, our midfield never really took a hold of the game, our final ball was atrocious, players were bailing out of responsibilites when they should be taking them on, we weren't clinical enough in front of goal.

It was a journey man performance.

Also McCall sat on his hands. There were players on the pitch who were ran out, exhausted who should have been off and he did nothing.

Seemed a bit pointless to put a sub on with 89 minutes gone.

Humphrey and Ojamaa were both absolutely knackered, should have punted Daley & Murphy on.

Game was crying out for change with 20 to go. Bringing on Murphy and/or Daley would have made them re-think again.

This result has actually made me more angry than all the humpings we have taken off them in recent years.

Ack well bring on Hibs

Yep, the biggest two games of the season and we have nothing to show for it. Last week's really hurt us. Today we needed to be far more clinical with the chances we got - and we carved out some good ones. I don't believe 3rd is yet lost though, I can't share your pessimism there.

I just feel with the form Utd are in, St Johnstone have just strengthened their front line by adding Derek Riordan.

We're starting to look like a tired side that can' seem to step up for the big games. We've now got 6 of them coming up and we need the players to up their game again.

Also McCall sat on his hands. There were players on the pitch who were ran out, exhausted who should have been off and he did nothing.

He has justified it before by saying players cannot get up to game speed , I didn't agree then and still don't

When a players a passenger in the closing stages it's almost like being a man down, and they should be changed out before that, the game was high tempo from the off, there was no chance everyone was going to last.

Still, improvements seen every game against them, just hope the lessons keep being learned

Totally scunnered after that. Why oh why did McCall wait until they were 2-1 up in the last minute to make a change? Ojamaa & Humphrey were out on their feet and we badly needed a substitution. And yet again we've gifted Rangers two goals on a plate, the 2nd in particular was chronic defending.

Sick fed up playing Rangers these days, if they're not humping us under their own steam then we chuck them a lifeline whenever they need it.

Closer scoreline today but no less embarrassing given how bad they are and that every man and their dog seems to be beating them these days. Even more embarrassing when you consider that there were more than a few Motherwell fans accepting defeat before a ball was kicked by betting on Rangers.

Closer scoreline but samew pishy result.

Rangers were, by the standards we have came to expect when they face us, poor.

Took the lead and then defended poorly. 1-1. McGregor kept them in it, which is so often the case, and wasn't surprised to see a defensive switch off for their winner.

Clancy is waaaaay to quick to lose the rag. Cost us against Celtic at Fir Park and he was very lucky to stay on the park again. I'd certainly be looking at the market and what I could get for my money before signing him up again. I suppose that depends on what he is on/looking over the next year or two. We could get better.

We need St Johnstone to get beat and hope that Dunfermline take a point (at least) in Dundee.

5th place still a strong possibility especially when you consider we have six games left and one is a trip to Ibrox (defeat).

Closer scoreline today but no less embarrassing given how bad they are and that every man and their dog seems to be beating them these days. Even more embarrassing when you consider that there were more than a few Motherwell fans accepting defeat before a ball was kicked by betting on Rangers.

Closer scoreline but samew pishy result.

Aff yer high horse.

Accepting defeat? More believeing we would be beat due to 10 years of shite scorelines and the fact the bookies made an arse of it with their odds. They, at the end of the day got it right and I have no problem with it to be honest as I understand why it was done......to take the edge of a very disappointing day. Who knows the cash may go towards a season ticket or to flights for a European game.

Sadly I saw this coming weeks ago. I said in the pub before the Aberdeen cup game, that I could see us finishing fifth. I was laughed out of court that day. I suspect if I were to say it now, the reaction would be somewhat different.

Having said that, I'd still rather have the points in the bank as we do. Dundee United are on a good run but as we know ourselves the wheels can come off a good run very easily. St Johnstone have made the worst signing of the season in Riordan so it's not all doom and gloom...

Riordian won't be fit to play for a good few weeks yet so they are hoping he will come good when he is required at the end. Second place has long gone now especially as we have to visit Ibrox post split. We could still finish anywhere between 3rd-5th and with Rangers out of Europe the Europa League would beckon (at the worst).

Gutted yet again with usual outcome against that mob . If we don't get pumped we give away goals through poor defending .

As has been said , McCall should have made changes with about 20 mins to go . Humphrey was blowin out his farter , and at that point we had a lot of posession in the final 3rd , introducing Daley or Murphy at that point could have made all the difference .

Aff yer high horse.

Accepting defeat? More believeing we would be beat due to 10 years of shite scorelines and the fact the bookies made an arse of it with their odds. They, at the end of the day got it right and I have no problem with it to be honest as I understand why it was done......to take the edge of a very disappointing day. Who knows the cash may go towards a season ticket or to flights for a European game.

High horse? I actually won £36 myself (£30 @ 6/5) so I'm hardly on a high horse.

My point was that it's a sad state of affairs when people are getting free money based on a dead cert loss against a shit team.

FFS a little perspective PLEASE guys. We got undone by a last min goal before that we would be saying how great the team did and were unlucky not to win. Mc shagger is a world class keeper and 1 of rangers biggest assets worth 6 million. We have 2 strikers on frees. They played ugly and at sometimes poorly and won but we could see the goal coming, why? Because we know how good they can be up front previous games will testify to this. Let's not forget they went out and put Celtic easily to the sword the same rangers team many thought were there for the taking. The clubs fucked but the team is essentially still the same. However I would have made the subs earlier. But how often have we played poorly and won this season stirred away instantly springs to mind. Let's move on and no I'm no happy clapper just read my comments on last weeks shit performance. But if rangers can only beat us with an 89min goal then we are more than strong enough to hold on to 3rd. Mon the well

High horse? I actually won £36 myself (£30 @ 6/5) so I'm hardly on a high horse.

My point was that it's a sad state of affairs when people are getting free money based on a dead cert loss against a shit team.

:laugh: Fair play.

I thought by calling Motherwell fans "embarrassing" you were having a dig at those that took advantage of a bookie's ballsup.

Enjoy your winnings and hope it takes the edge aff a crap result.

It may also cost us 4th. facepalm.gif

I don't buy this. McCalls managing expectations in the media. I have no doubt he's sending his team out to try and win every game and telling them they're capable of it.

Would you prefer he came out with laugherty-esque statements and made himself look like a tit?

We can go on about how bad Rangers are just now too, but how many 'Well players would be getting a game if the were in there squad?

I also don't agree with people who are saying he should have made a change. Didn't think we had any "passengers" in the last ten minutes and thought we had crafted the best chances in the second half. I didn't see any changes that would have made us stronger. Murphy would have been weakening the team as the game was far too physical for him. Daley would simply have been like for like for Humph who was still causing Rangers a few problems.

This knicker-wetting is very reminiscent of the same stuff that went on around Christmas. We're still (just) in the driving seat for third.

All that said we do need to lift it again.

• Like 1