Hibs V Motherwell. Discussion

postiejim

There aren't many criticisms you can level at Randolph but he has lost a few from distance.

Today, I thought Clancy got in his way running across his line of vision. Interesting that we adopted the same tactic with O'Connor's free kick at the death.

Poor starting position from Randolph did not help. I noticed they defended it the same as well - although Randolph was about 5 steps closer to "his" post. Forced O'Connor to go "over and down" with his free-kick the second time (leading to it going over the bar).

If opposing players stopped trying to wrestle Higdon to the ground he might actually be able to jump for the ball now and again. He's easily more fouled than fouling players.

i bet you were shouting for fouls against him when he was with falkirk and st mirren.

considering the fact that about the one consistent thing from refs is how they referee higdon perhaps he should consider changing his style and work more on jumping for the ball without clawing at defenders?

he's committed 85 fouls which is 30 more than anyone else in the league. pretty much everyone else who has committed more than 40 is a hard tackling centre mid - las, jenno, goodwin, edu, osbourne, aranson. he needs to play within the rules as we are constantly pissing away possesion.

Correction, he's had 85 fouls awarded against him by referees, the majority of whom are absoulute shite, there is a difference

• Like 1

considering the fact that about the one consistent thing from refs is how they referee higdon perhaps he should consider changing his style and work more on jumping for the ball without clawing at defenders?

he's committed 85 fouls which is 30 more than anyone else in the league. pretty much everyone else who has committed more than 40 is a hard tackling centre mid - las, jenno, goodwin, edu, osbourne, aranson. he needs to play within the rules as we are constantly pissing away possesion.

You're right - while you are given out that wisdom maybe you could let Grant Holt of Norwich know your finding too.

2010/11 Most Fouls in the Football League

Grant Holt - 107 (nearest person to him had 85)

2009/10 Most Fouls in the Football League

Grant Holt - 87

2008/09 Most Fouls in the Football League

Grant Holt - 123

I'll give you a guess where Holt is rated this season in the Premier League fouls committed table....

he's committed 85 fouls which is 30 more than anyone else in the league.

What do you mean when you say he's committed 85 fouls?

Is it A) he's committed 85 fouls whether or not a foul has actually been given or is it B) Referees have awarded 85 fouls against him

The two are entirely different.

For example Jamie Murphy was hauled back yesterday after beating a defender but yet a foul was awarded against him. In your book did he commit a foul or not?

Perhaps the reason he gives more fouls away is because he gets more involved in the game than others. Also because he tracks back and tackles which a lot of players like him don't. Would also be interesting to note how many fouls he has won this season. I know he got naff all yesterday but Goian committed five on him last week so even if he gets three a game we are knocking on that he has won 100.

What do you mean when you say he's committed 85 fouls?

Is it A) he's committed 85 fouls whether or not a foul has actually been given or is it B) Referees have awarded 85 fouls against him

85 free kicks against him in the league. it's a foul when the ref blows the whistle.

Perhaps the reason he gives more fouls away is because he gets more involved in the game than others. Also because he tracks back and tackles which a lot of players like him don't. Would also be interesting to note how many fouls he has won this season. I know he got naff all yesterday but Goian committed five on him last week so even if he gets three a game we are knocking on that he has won 100.

35 free kicks won in the league.

85 free kicks against him in the league. it's a foul when the ref blows the whistle.

35 free kicks won in the league.

Fair enough, I absolutely agree about the referee whistle. You can argue all you like about it being a foul or not but we have the same pool of 18 referees who interpret the game the same way every time they turn up. They aren't perfect but we need to learn what they are giving and stop giving them away.

Fair enough, I absolutely agree about the referee whistle. You can argue all you like about it being a foul or not but we have the same pool of 18 referees who interpret the game the same way every time they turn up. They aren't perfect but we need to learn what they are giving and stop giving them away.

How do you stop running behind a player making no contact - other player falling down and you get booked for it without given them clear route to goal?

Same with, how do you teach a player to commit a good foul by pulling a player back without getting booked when it is an automatic booking - unless the referee decides it isn't (which should be never)

How do you teach players to challenge for a ball in the air when a minute ago carbon copy was done with no foul given but then the one a minute before that was - and so was the one you just did.

those things will even themselves out. we're looking at a sample of 31 games with probably a dozen different refs and he is pulled up for the same things in every game.

last season he fouled the most times in the spl even though only started 26 games and came on twice as a sub.

those things will even themselves out. we're looking at a sample of 31 games

Statistically, over such a small sample as an entire career, that is not even close to true. While the law of large numbers applies to certain random events, it wouldn't apply here due to the human element and the fact that footballers do not play millions (or even thousands) of games.

Statistically, over such a small sample as an entire career, that is not even close to true. While the law of large numbers applies to certain random events, it wouldn't apply here due to the human element and the fact that footballers do not play millions (or even thousands) of games.

they're not random events.

From the same source:

John Daly 30 fouls / 2 yellow cards and wait for it........... Gary Kenneth 15 fouls / 2 yellow cards.

Now I know that Kenneth has missed a few games this season but in our last encounter at Tannadice he must have committed 15 fouls in that game alone.

they're not random events.

That's exactly my point. 'Luck' only 'evens out' for random events over a very long term. With human bias and non-random events it is unlikely to ever happen ever, far less in such a small sample size as foootballer's career.

Overall good point to gain, not all players were at there best but, the team as a whole looked solid at the back, with Hutch commanding the back four, still thought we missed the drive of Jennoe in the middle.

Pretty happy with a point, the front line first half seemed poor, Higdons touch was awful, and OJ seemed to be running into trouble, but nevertheless still looked a danger with his pace.

Second half was all together much better with Higdon holding onto the ball and OJ, causing trouble with his direct style of football (which is great to see).

Law after a slow start began to get involved more, and started to string together a few great passes, out to Humphrey.

Humphrey looked good on the ball and arguably our best attacking player, the amount of fouls he won on the edge of the box was testiment to his renewed confidence.

His booking was a bloody joke considering there left back who clearly pulled him back only minutes before when closing in on goal was laughable, for Humphrey to be booked in a sterile area of the pitch for what can only be described as a (brush past) was a joke.

Overall the team looked like they would go on to win the match, good performance role on next week.

From the same source:

John Daly 30 fouls / 2 yellow cards and wait for it........... Gary Kenneth 15 fouls / 2 yellow cards.

Now I know that Kenneth has missed a few games this season but in our last encounter at Tannadice he must have committed 15 fouls in that game alone.

So a couple of things on this one.

Daly does not come as deep as often as Higdon as United play a more progressive shape so I would expect him to foul less than our boy though I would have thought it would have been closer but I have only watched three United games this season and in the one at Fir Park the ball was always in the midfield so I don't really have much to comment on him.

As for Kenneth, we all know when defender and striker jump for a ball and there is a collision the referee tends to give it to the defender. I'm not saying it is right but the fact that Higdon has committed as many fouls as he has tells me he isn't very clever in 'playing the game'.

Without it wanting to sound like a dig at one referee, we have had Crawford Allan five times this season. We have lost four of those games and in all five I would say higdon was pretty anonymous. Why? Because he kept on giving fouls away that weren't fouls. Now to be fair to the referee, he kept on giving us fouls for offences that looked equally ridiculous when Stephen Elliott was up against Hutch at Tynecastle. Now I know if the name C Allan appears against our fixture Higdon would be as well not being there or we focus all our play down the wings. The fact that neither McCall or Higdon have noticed it or done something about it is baffling.

As I said before I'm not saying all 85 are fouls but really, he needs to realise what will stop refs from blowing their whistle for the good of the team.