2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

To be honest with you, I don't really know what either player is worth. Nicky Law is by far the better player but is older and has less time left on his contract. As someone else has pointed out, current salary tends to impact on transfer value as well.

I don't think either of them are worth £1m. Probably about £500k each but we aren't in a strong bargaining position, particularly with regards Law. Which is unfortunate as Hutchinson is the guy we could afford to lose more out of the two.

Although I wouldn't like to lose either of them, I would rather lose Law than Hutch. Law has only one season left and by new year will be worthless as he could sign a pre contract but Hutch would still have 18months left and will only improve and increase in value.

Way I look at it is that we have ready made replacements for Hutchinson. I'd be happy to go with Ramsden and Kerr/Cummins/Page/Saunders (when fit)...

If we sell both, replacing Law would be the prioriity basically...

The problem would be the amount of experience we have lost in defence very quickly. Craigan, Clancy, and if it happens, Hutchinson in a matter of months. Saunders is out for a while and apart from Ramsden it is Cummins, Kerr, or Page in on a full time basis. At tjhis point, Kerr is only with us till January as well. We would need another defender to come in imo and at least another midfielder, possibly two, if we lose Law.

If we can do that.....well that's another story.

BANG ON THE MONEY!

I guess this is why you are a moderator. ;-)

If we can get £750k+ for the two of them then I think we will be doing well.

However I very doubt that this will be the end of the matter and I fully expect both players to be gone in the next few weeks leaving us with a very, very bleak outlook for the season ahead.

Mediocrity for us this season im afraid. <_>

Which would no doubt have you two rubbing your hands together in glee, looking forward to a season of moaning like fuck.

We've lost players better than the two mentioned before and we've managed to recover and avoid mediocrity, haven't we? I've seen sides with far bigger budgets and better squads on paper than us finish in the bottom half of the table and even get relegated.

As players move on we'll bring new ones in who will step up and fill their shoes, be they brought in from elsewhere or through our youth system.

We can't expect to do well and not have our better players move on. That's just how it goes.

• Like 3

I just hope we dont spurn a very good chance of Europa legue qulaification and a fair amount of money as a spin off by 1. Selling players for far less than other teams alas Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd would, 2. We hang around dont sign anyone before the home and away legs but then go on to sign someone after the second leg that could have been the difference between qualifying and not ie Jutkiewicz signing after defeat to Buchearest.

Which would no doubt have you two rubbing your hands together in glee, looking forward to a season of moaning like fuck.

We've lost players better than the two mentioned before and we've managed to recover and avoid mediocrity, haven't we? I've seen sides with far bigger budgets and better squads on paper than us finish in the bottom half of the table and even get relegated.

As players move on we'll bring new ones in who will step up and fill their shoes, be they brought in from elsewhere or through our youth system.

We can't expect to do well and not have our better players move on. That's just how it goes.

Oh aye of course I'd be rubbing my hands together in glee, cos that's what I fork out on season ticket money and club merchandise every year for - to moan like fuck and tell the learned people of steelmenonline.co.uk that I 'told yeez so' when it all goes tits up.

We've lost players in the past and recovered, yes, no player is bigger than the club. Players and managers will always come and go but the club goes on, I accept that, but on this occasion we appear to be completely potless and unlike in recent years, have no John Boyle around to fund replacements should we lose our key players. Our squad is probably the smallest in the SPL and the likeliehood is that we're going to lose both Law & Hutchinson before the window shuts and if we're not able to bring in replacements then we're in big trouble in my opinion.

• Like 3

But how many players did Boyle actually directly provide the funding for?

I certainly remember McGhee commending him for providing the money for Chris Porter. It was speculated, though I'm not sure if ever confrmed, that he may have done something similar for Stephen Hughes.

But it was hardly on a grand scale was it over his decade plus on the board was it?

To me providing funding for a specific transfer or wages of a player is quite different to providing credit at zero or very little interest to cover a section of the season where cash flow was tight.

I think its worth keeping in mind the distinction between the two.

When John Boyle owned the club and was able to provide the neccessary funds, yes, but he's not here now so who's going to provide the funding?

I have been watching Motherwell since long before the Boyle days. Even when were dossing around in the First Division we still replaced outgoing players with new ones.

It's basic football club management that even the most depressed, pessimistic, naysayer can understand.

• Like 1

I have been watching Motherwell since long before the Boyle days. Even when were dossing around in the First Division we still replaced outgoing players with new ones.

It's basic football club management that even the most depressed, pessimistic, naysayer can understand.

Times have changed a lot since we were in the 1st division(the 80s??) and there is less money in the game now than there was then.

We have recently had to significantly cut our wage bill and are going to have to re adjust to having a TV deal in the SPL which provides us with less than before and also have to do without the gate money provided by Rangers fans at least once a season, so you're not telling me that we are going to be in a position to just go out and bring in replacements.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would know that the club changing over to fan ownership, coupled with the Rangers fiasco was always going to lead to some tough seasons ahead.

We just have to do the best we can and build from here. Simple as that.

Yes, and I for one can't argue with anything you say there.

However the reality - taking everything into account - is that we are going to find ourselves in trouble should we be forced to sell arguably our two best players.

If my memory serves me well:

Stevie hammell was a ready made replacement when we sold Steve McMillan...After the money spending willy nilly days of billy Davies and Eric black, Keith proved a class act...When we had to go in to admin, the likes of Pearson and faddy stepped up and shone...First game after faddy left, clarky scored a double in a 2-0 win v hibs...Soon after clarky left, murphy scored a hat trick in Europe....When we were in dire straights at the back Reynolds was drafted in and then never dropped...When Reynolds left hutchy was his ready made replacement...

BELIEVE in our youth system, its there for a reason.

• Like 7