2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Scott burns on twitter saying English clubs in talks with motherwell over January move for striker. No names or clubs mentioned but would obviously be Murphy. More in tomorrow's Express apparently.

Sheffield United

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/365195/Sheffield-United-eye-Motherwell-s-Jamie-Murray

Quoting a potential £60k fee yet they can't even get his name right, absolute tits.

If there's an element of truth in this and Bournemouth and United are both interested, is 60k too low even in the January window? Do we attempt to haggle at risk of both parties backing off and waiting until the summer?

You have to balance his monetary value against what the clubs thinks he could contribute to a high place league placing. One place equates to about £75,000. Our projected shortfall this season is about £300k. On that basis I wouldn't accept anything less than about £250k. However the club will know best.

Its all very well both clubs agreeing a fee but would Jamie want to move to Yorkshire or Hampshire?

You have to balance his monetary value against what the clubs thinks he could contribute to a high place league placing. One place equates to about £75,000. Our projected shortfall this season is about £300k. On that basis I wouldn't accept anything less than about £250k. However the club will know best.

Its all very well both clubs agreeing a fee but would Jamie want to move to Yorkshire or Hampshire?

One place between 3rd and 12th equates to your £75k,

Remember, the bounty for finishing 2nd is up for grabs and it is huge in comparison.

Sheffield United are lining up a £200,000 January offer for Motherwell forward Jamie Murphy and may offer young players on loan as part of the deal. (Daily Record)

The Blades will only offer £60,000 for Murphy, while Millwall are keen on Fir Park defender Shaun Hutchinson. (Daily Express)

For once I want to believe the Record more than the Express.

That article has "Space Filler" written all over it. Pretty lazy in my opinion.

Normally I'd agree but looking at the Sheffield forums this was first reported in the Sunday People and has been followed up by the Star.

Maybe not papers we should neccesarily rely on to be right but are English based, so don't care about the Sev and Tic.

So there may be more to it than just being a space filler.

From The Star Full Story here

SHEFFIELD UNITED: Blades bid for Murphy 1030122092.jpgJamie Murphy.

By James Shield

Published on Monday 17 December 2012 07:55

SHEFFIELD United will shortly open talks with Motherwell aimed at bringing Jamie Murphy, the Scotland under-21 international, to Bramall Lane, The Star can confirm.

Murphy, who has made 24 appearances for Stuart McCall's side this term, is expected to leave Fir Park when his contract expires at the end of the SPL campaign.

But United are set to exploit the uncertainty surrounding his future by trying to lure him south of the border next month after sources in Scotland reported representatives of the South Yorkshire club watched Murphy score twice during Saturday's victory at Hibernian.

Danny Wilson, the United manager, has identified a forward as his top priority in the forthcoming transfer window after acknowledging during last weekend's annual general meeting that League One's third placed squad would benefit from an injection of "pace and width."

Murphy, aged 23, fits the profile drawn up by United's revamped scouting department and, crucially, will be allowed to leave Motherwell for a cut price fee despite amassing 13 representative caps for his country.

Championship club Blackpool agreed a price for Murphy earlier this year but the player rejected the opportunity of a move to Bloomfield Road.

However, McCall is understood to be resigned to losing Murphy as part of a drive designed to keep Motherwell's finances on an even keel.

United attempted to re-sign Paul Gallagher on loan ahead of the recent emergency loan deadline before considering alternative options when talks with Leicester City hit a stumbling block.

Murphy, though, is believed to have featured on Wilson's radar since at least the start of the season.

Meanwhile, United remained a point behind leaders Tranmere Rovers when they drew 0-0 with Ronnie Moore's side on Saturday.

The match marked the return of Tony McMahon and Dave Kitson from hamstring injuries.

United return to action when they visit Crawley Town this weekend.

If someone offers a 7 figure some for any of our players it would have to be considered. No one is likely to offer that mind, outside chance on Hutchison seeing as his contract isn't up in the summer but even so I'd be a little surprised.

Any of these chance your arm piddly fees should be batted out the park whilst 2nd place is up for grabs which hopefully will still be the case come the tail end of january.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the figure of compensation we got for McCormack was £120,000 and that was a reduced figure as he had only been at the club since he was about 21. Not sure exactly how the fee is decided but Murphy has been at Motherwell since his early teens and is in his seventh season of first team football and if as stated above Aberdeen got £400,000 for Maguire, you'd surely assume taking the cases of Maguire and McCormack we would be due more in the summer.

The club must be pretty skint if they do need £60,000 that urgently. I'd even say if we weren't due compensation, for the sake of £60,000, I'd rather keep him until the end of the season.

I think with low bids for players we do have to look very carefully at it but especially at this time of the season there is a need to get cash flow into the club that can sometimes influence the decision as a short term one, rather than a long term one.

Also I feel a bit sorry for Murphy. I suspect he doesn't really want to leave but as a sale-able asset there is a bit of pressure on him to sacrifice his own wants for those of the club.

Stand to be corrected, but I think Motherwell need to quickly offer Murphy (in writing) an improved contract before he agrees a pre contract or his existing one runs out). Then if he turns it down and moves on under Freedom of Contract ,the compensation calculation takes into account the higher wage offered. I seem to remember that Dundee Utd did that with Conway?? and maybe a few others to boost the amount due to them.

There has to be a set formula for calculating the compensation amount....time at club, age, wage etc so you would hope that Motherwell could work out the likely income if he walks. £60k seems really pitiful and we must really be in a bad state financially if we accept that. As others have said, just finishing one place higher in the SPL with Murphy than we would finish without him brings in more than £60k. I hope we hold on to him, offer him an improved contract and take our chances with a tribunal.....unless someone is prepared to offer a realistic sum now which would be far higher than any compensation amount at contract end.

There was a case in England where Everton failed to offer Dan Gosling a new contract (or at least they could not prove they had) which meant he walked for next to nothing when his Everton contract expired. Also, did we not shy away from signing a free agent this summer because his previous club would be due a small fortune?

Was that not Zaine Francis-Angol?

I might be wrong? But was he not on trial for ages before we signed him for that reason?

Nah that was Hermann Mekongo the young french lad who played for the 19's. Looked very decent but would've cost a good few grand n got punted for it

Stand to be corrected, but I think Motherwell need to quickly offer Murphy (in writing) an improved contract before he agrees a pre contract or his existing one runs out). Then if he turns it down and moves on under Freedom of Contract ,the compensation calculation takes into account the higher wage offered. I seem to remember that Dundee Utd did that with Conway?? and maybe a few others to boost the amount due to them.

There has to be a set formula for calculating the compensation amount....time at club, age, wage etc so you would hope that Motherwell could work out the likely income if he walks. £60k seems really pitiful and we must really be in a bad state financially if we accept that. As others have said, just finishing one place higher in the SPL with Murphy than we would finish without him brings in more than £60k. I hope we hold on to him, offer him an improved contract and take our chances with a tribunal.....unless someone is prepared to offer a realistic sum now which would be far higher than any compensation amount at contract end.

There was a case in England where Everton failed to offer Dan Gosling a new contract (or at least they could not prove they had) which meant he walked for next to nothing when his Everton contract expired. Also, did we not shy away from signing a free agent this summer because his previous club would be due a small fortune?

As far as I'm aware it's not an improved contract, just one that matches his existing terms.

Can't see Murphy opting for Sheff Utd when he knocked back Blackpool. And I'd like to think that a contract offer is on the table for him. We can't afford to fuck this one up.

Porter and Blackman are there so he will have some company, also Nicky Law played there so I am sure he would have sounded him out. I heard from a Blades fan that he got a txt from the club saying thye had put a bid in for him. Also the two youngsters mentioned in load deals are supposed to be very good prspects, so it may not be all doom and gloom.

200k for murphy would be shite considering the prize money up for grabs if 2nd is achieved. I expect us to lose a player or two in January but really hope we don't fuck this up considering.

And with all respect, the youngsters they are offering dont fill me with confidence. Youngsters who can't get a game in the premiership, aye maybe.....youngsters who can't get a game in league 1? Hmmm....

As far as I'm aware it's not an improved contract, just one that matches his existing terms.

You are correct. And I am sure (don't quote me on it) but because he turns 24 after the Summer International Transfer Window opens we will still be entitled to the Bosman Compensation Fee - if we offer him the exact same contract he is on now.