2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Doesn't surprise me about Randolph and we can't grudge him the chance to play at a higher level. He is going to be massive gloves to fill though.

Disappointing news about Saunders. Of course he has flaws, but who doesn't? I always thought he looked like he had something about him; had a bit of dig and good in the air.

Dont want to see Randolph go but i think Hollis is a good replacement so we wont be weakened too much. It is obvious that SMC does not rate Saunders...but to be fair he is a bit injury prone..a bit like uncle phil was so we may never see his true potential

I'm not into this Hollis is a good replacement chat. He is completely untested in a run of games at this level and doesn't fill me with confidence at all!

If we lose Randolph we need a new number 1.

Ruddy and Randolph were both reserve keepers untested in a run of games at this level. They both bounced around loads of reserve games with the odd loan here and there to pick up a few lower league appearances.

Any new keeper we sign is also likely to be a reserve player and also untested in a run of games at this level.

If the coaching staff reckon Hollis is ready to step up, I'd have no problems with their judgement.

I'm not into this Hollis is a good replacement chat. He is completely untested in a run of games at this level and doesn't fill me with confidence at all!

If we lose Randolph we need a new number 1.

This is what I've been thinking, hope I'm proved wrong but I am a bit nervous about Hollis taking over the number 1 position.

It's 1 thing to have a few good games here & there, but not sure how good he'll be over the course of a season.

Guess we've been spoiled a bit having Ruddy then Randolph between the sticks in the last few years. I'm still hoping for some sort of miracle happening & we'll still have Randolph next season, unlikely I know, but love the big guy & will be gutted when he does leave.

Anyway, I'm sure McCall has his own thoughts on the goalkeeping situation, he sees Hollis in training on a daily basis so is better placed than me or anyone else to know if he's good enough to take over if/when Randolph goes.

Ruddy and Randolph were both reserve keepers untested in a run of games at this level. They both bounced around loads of reserve games with the odd loan here and there to pick up a few lower league appearances.

Any new keeper we sign is also likely to be a reserve player and also untested in a run of games at this level.

If the coaching staff reckon Hollis is ready to step up, I'd have no problems with their judgement.

C'mon now Weeyin there is no way you can even try and compare Hollis to Ruddy or Randolph! Reserve team goalkeeper at Premier League Everton or reserve team goalie at Airdrie! Remember that's where Hollis was when we signed him!

Don't get me wrong I think he is decent back up and he hasnt really done anything wrong when asked to play but I personally would be worried if we have him as our No 1.

Just FYI before he signed Ruddy had played around 100 first team games amongst a few different loans including 39 in one season at Cambridge. Randolph had played 60 first team games before joining us as a relatively young lad 22??

Hollis has played 30 first team games in just over 9years and people are happy for him to step into the no 1 slot in a potential Euro campaign.

Carswell has shown a bit more recently but in my opinion, even if he has the potential to be a first team stick on player that's at least another season away. We simply cannot go into a full season depending on guys like Carswell to maintain our recent standing.

The same goes for Hollis. If he does start next season as first choice goalkeeper we will still have to bring in a 2nd choice to act as serious competition for the first team place.

Releasing Steve Saunders baffles me unless his injuries have finished him. He's a better tackler and better in the air than any other defender we have excluding Hutchinson.

Got to agree with most on the Saunders issue . In the time before his injury he was pretty consistent when he played , strong in the tackle and decent distribution , along with good aerial presence at the back and at set pieces , To release him would seem strange , unless as suggested his injuries have taken too much of a toll .

If he can get back to where he was pre-injury he will get picked up by another SPL team no problem . Would hate to see him go elsewhere and flourish rather than at FP due to a bad call from the coaching staff .

Best of luck to the boy no matter what happens , got his whole career ahead of him if he can stay fit .

On the Hollis debate , he has been pretty steady in the few appearances he has made . Deserves his chance to show what he can do over a run of games , how else are we going to find out if he'll cut it or not ? . Got to remember , we are Motherwell and although we have been spoiled for a few seasons now with the quality of keeper at our disposal , with our budget and resources its nigh on impossible to keep unearthing these gems season after season .

In the limited game time he's had , Hollis strikes me as a relatively safe pair of hands , and certainly doesn't give me the fear like the days of Michael Fraser or Stevie Woods !

C'mon now Weeyin there is no way you can even try and compare Hollis to Ruddy or Randolph! Reserve team goalkeeper at Premier League Everton or reserve team goalie at Airdrie! Remember that's where Hollis was when we signed him!

Do you know where Randolph was? Reserve keeper for a 3rd tier English team who played about 60 games in 7 years (and only 14 for his employers).

I'm not saying Hollis is as good as Randolph, but I guarantee nobody on here had a clue if Randolph was any good when we signed him. He certainly hadn't proved anything with, as you liked to call it, "a string of games at this level"

Do you know where Randolph was? Reserve keeper for a 3rd tier English team who played about 60 games in 7 years (and only 14 for his employers).

If Darren Randolph moves on thats where we'll probably pick up his replacement. There are dozens of top class goalies playing in the reserve sides of English Championship clubs.

I'm not saying Hollis is as good as Randolph, but I guarantee nobody on here had a clue if Randolph was any good when we signed him. He certainly hadn't proved anything with, as you liked to call it, "a string of games at this level"

Randolph came with the best reputation you can have. The fans of his former club were disgusted he'd been allowed to leave.

It's not true at all that Randolph had no reputation before he arrived here. He was highly rated when he was signed.

He was a very very highly rated young goalkeeper who had played 50 plus first team games!!

Yes I do know where he came from thanks!!