2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Does anyone else get the impression that Jamie seems reluctant to move and that MFC are pushing him out. We do have other options eg Sell Henrik ( may get more money anyway) and give Jamie a longer contract which i have feeling he would accept.

Jamie in my opinion has become more consistent and is beginning to bulk up a little, and could develop into an exceptional player over next few years.

The only nagging doubt i have with this scenario is that Jamie ultimate wish is to sign for Ranger FC in summer window.which would be a disaster.

i for one would like to us to fight harder to have him on long term deal.

I don't really know exactly how the player development rules work but I would have thought we would have been due more for the number of years he has been with us.

As for still being due a development fee in the summer, the papers were suggesting Rangers would just need to wait until Murphy's 24th birthday to avoid paying it.

We can only accept a higher bid if it comes in. If £100k is the best bid that's coming in then so be it. If it allows us to turn down a low bid for Ojamma then even better.

With a move to England you were probably looking at minimum £350-400k development fee, and considering the player's history, probably more. Ludicrous to accept pittance unless we are getting a cracking sell on clause and shit hot add ons.

Again, only if he signs while he is 23. If a club waits until the 29th August, they can get him for hee-haw.

That's a hell of a gamble (unless I'm misunderstanding the current transfer rules).

Again, only if he signs while he is 23. If a club waits until the 29th August, they can get him for hee-haw.

That's a hell of a gamble (unless I'm misunderstanding the current transfer rules).

You are. It is the age at the end of his contract. If we offered him the same amount as he was on now (or more) and he rejected it then we'd be due a Development Fee for him.

Probably best for all concerned that Jon Page is moving on. It frees up a wage for us, from a player who probably isn't going to make it in the SPL. For the lad himself it will give him the opportunity of regular first team football, albeit at a lower standard. Still we are getting lighter and lighter in defence with Fraser Kerr moving back down south (presumably) and Nick Devlin's future uncertain.

What is the point of investing in a youth policy and especially a boy whos been here for probably 10 years and then letting them leave for practically nothing. Once you deduct taxes etc we have been left a pittance,meanwhile monies sit in an account from the society doing what exactly? But they still want your money to watch an ever decreasing squad and quality. If there is a cashflow problem then its bad mangement. Our club will not grow by constanly underselling our assets. No player or staff is going to stay when the higher management of the club show no ambition.

• Like 1

If there is a cashflow problem then its bad mangement. Our club will not grow by constanly underselling our assets. No player or staff is going to stay when the higher management of the club show no ambition.

Its not bad management. The financial world has changed considerably in the past few years and the football world is no exception. Potential purchasers in the English Championship and lower leagues no longer have much cash - many of them are in debt. We can't sell players for big fees if there are no parties wishing to buy.

If our club has a cashflow problem to such an extent that we let muphy go for peanuts, when it is known we would be compensated at the end of his contract in anycase plus his help in attaining higher placing, then sorry it extremely bad management. Transfer fees should not be relied upon especially as you say big transfer fees are now out, tho every other club seem to constantly do better in obtaining higher fees. It seems our budgeting is unrealistic. Remember McCall apparently had monies to bring in another player, but declined to do so! Just as well by the looks of things.

Sorry to see Jamie go, but to all the posters moaning about the fee, do you not understand the significance of cash flow to a business, particularly one that has no benefactor (Boyle/Romanov) and has NO overdraft facility??

I can't imagine this was a decision taken lightly, indeed its good to hear we are knocking back the £160k for Ojamma because we think he's worth more.

The whole thing is down to finanace and like it or loathe it Rangers absence from the SPL is playing a major factor in what the 'Well board will or will not accept. Despite what some people want to believe the SPL is not flourishing and outwith Dundee Utd/ Dundee (who have a derby fixture in the league for the 1st time in years) there is a dramatic downturn in revenue due to the absence of Rangers. Motherwell could bank on a minimum 300 k for one one home fixture against RFC and if managing to get into the top 6 the possibility of a similar amount for a 2nd game at Fir Park.

What should the board do ? Reject any offers for saleable assets, who could become unsaleable due to injury at any time in the last months of their contracts or take at least some compensation even if not palatable to the support ?

A wee bit of realism has to come into this debate. Motherwell have reasonably good players in the grand scheme of things, who will command reasonable fees.

Trust the youngsters coming through.

Probably best for all concerned that Jon Page is moving on. It frees up a wage for us, from a player who probably isn't going to make it in the SPL.

His wage was freed up as soon as he went out on loan, wasn't it? Might not make much difference to us if that is true. Also, McCall said he expected to see only one player out the window?

What is the point of investing in a youth policy and especially a boy whos been here for probably 10 years and then letting them leave for practically nothing. Once you deduct taxes etc we have been left a pittance,meanwhile monies sit in an account from the society doing what exactly? But they still want your money to watch an ever decreasing squad and quality. If there is a cashflow problem then its bad mangement. Our club will not grow by constanly underselling our assets. No player or staff is going to stay when the higher management of the club show no ambition.

Have you noticed the crowds we been getting this season. Outside of European games and Celtic we haven't touched 6000 at a single match. Including matches against likes of Hibs and Hearts that usually bring a decent crowd and Aberdeen on boxing day. Given we're also out both cups and whilst going well in the league it is tight and a bad run could see us plummet we almost certainly need to get a bit of cash in.

It is disappointing to see good players like Murphy leave but as much as I like Murphy he hasn't shown the type of ability that makes you think he is going to excel at the highest level but it been clear for some time he can probably at least get a chance at a bigger club and he made it clear he is eyeing up that chance so not likely to sign a new deal.

Darren Randolph has been consistently top class for 2 and a half seasons now and where are the offers? The club can't magic big money offers out of thin air.

As for point of youth development, well getting to watch good players is reward enough. Raking big fees is a not unwelcome bonus if they happen to really stand out.

From today's Record Murphy set for the Blades

Jamie Murphy set for Motherwell exit as club accept bid from Sheffield United

1 Jan 2013 00:01

THE striker will play his last game for the Fir Park outfit against Celtic tomorrow before tying up a move to the Blades.

JAMIE MURPHY will play his last game for Motherwell tomorrow after the club accepted a bid from Sheffield United.

The striker is set to travel south in the next 48 hours to seal the deal after the Blades lodged an offer of £100,000 which could rise to £250,000.

Murphy will sign off his Well career in style with a game against champions Celtic at Parkhead tomorrow.

The 23-year-old has netted 46 times in 203 games for the Fir Park outfit, including 11 goals this season, after coming through their youth academy.

His contract was due to run out this summer and boss Stuart McCall reckons the move suits both parties.

McCall also hopes the cash will help him keep Henrik Ojamaa at the club during this month's transfer window.

McCall, who played for three years at Sheffield United, said: "I fully expect Jamie to play against Celtic.

"We will see what transpires but the club are expecting Jamie to depart for Sheffield United unless something comes from leftfield.

"The two clubs have agreed a fee and discussions have opened up between the player and Sheffield United.

"I knew we would have to lose a player in this window and with Jamie's contract being up in the summer he was the most likely one.

"We are not getting anywhere near what he is worth but he has given this club great service over the years.

"He is a great kid and goes with our blessing.

"It is probably the right time for Jamie to move on and flourish elsewhere.

"I would love to have kept him until the summer and it is disappointing for us. But Jamie is a talented boy and can force himself into the Sheffield United team.

"Sheffield United may be a League One side now but they are a great club for him to go to.

"I am hopeful they will be in the Championship next season and they are a Premiership club in the making as they have that status.

"I told Jamie they have a great fanbase, fantastic set-up and good manager in Danny Wilson. Although I have to say Jamie could have picked an easier game to leave on rather than one against Celtic."

McCall revealed he'll get none of the money from Murphy's sale to bring in reinforcements but is hopeful of fighting off interest in Ojamaa.

The Estonian is wanted by Lech Poznan but McCall is convinced the wideman is too good for the Polish League.

He said: "I will see hee-haw of the Murphy money although it should help us keep Henrik.

"And I have nothing against Lech Poznan but if he keeps performing between now and the end of the season then the sky's the limit for him.

"If people are talking about Kenny McLean at St Mirren going for £750,000 then we've got to be asking a lot more than £200,000 from a foreign club for Henrik.

"He should be staying, continuing what he's doing and if he adds goals to his performances he will be worth a lot.

"At the moment we're confident the only player we'll lose is Jamie. The board have been fantastic since I've been here – they've done what they said they'd do.

"That said, we've got a month and if someone comes in with a really big offer for someone we might need to look at it. It's the same with any club. Celtic would say the same about Gary Hooper.

"If Jamie goes, which he looks like doing, I'd be confident of keeping the group together.

"We've lost big players in the past such as John Sutton, Mark Reynolds and Nick Blackman and everyone thought we'd struggle without Steve Jennings, Tim Clancy and Stephen Craigan.

"But we manage to keep our heads above water."

Really thought Jamie could have secured a move to a Championship club. All this pish about them being "a Premiership club in the making" is pie-in-the-sky stuff. It's like saying Celtic are going to win the Champions League because they defeated Barca in the group stages. They'll be doing well to escape League 1 this season.