2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

He got absolutely battered by Higdon when we played them in December. He looks the same tidy player that he was when he left us, but still incapable of dealing with brutish centre forwards.

He got absolutely battered by Higdon when we played them in December. He looks the same tidy player that he was when he left us, but still incapable of dealing with brutish centre forwards.

Absolutely, and that was always his problem, I remember when we played Hearts and all they did was get Nade to bully him in the first 5 minutes and that was that for the rest of the game. That said he has always been comfortable with the ball at his feet; a very shrewd piece of business by granpaw..

Alan Hansen was the same when he played at Partick Thistle, but he had an OK career.

Absolutely, and that was always his problem, I remember when we played Hearts and all they did was get Nade to bully him in the first 5 minutes and that was that for the rest of the game. That said he has always been comfortable with the ball at his feet; a very shrewd piece of business by granpaw..

Pretty much, its good business and he's probably their best centre-half, and he's costing nothing. There were a couple of games against Samaras, from memory, that always stand out for me, where he was just tugged, pushed and pulled completely out of the game. Nice footballer though, I know its old hat, but he played a deep midfield role for the Scotland U19/20s. Always wondered why he was never offered the same role for us/Aberdeen, it just seemed to suit him as he can knock the ball around nicely enough, and is less likely to get bullied. That said, I don't see him training every day.

Alan Hansen was the same when he played at Partick Thistle, but he had an OK career.

:rolleyes:

I would take Thomson in a heartbeat. Think he will end up back at Hibs or Sevco tho.

Perhaps others will remember a Scotland U21 match at Fir Park against Italy when the two best players on the park by a mile were Thomson and Mark Wilson. They were head and shoulders above anyone in the Italy team.

For some reason our emerging talent doesn't kick on between that and senior level.

I'd still take him 'in a heart beat' though to echo another poster.

1359729167[/url]' post='373083']

Perhaps others will remember a Scotland U21 match at Fir Park against Italy when the two best players on the park by a mile were Thomson and Mark Wilson. They were head and shoulders above anyone in the Italy team.

For some reason our emerging talent doesn't kick on between that and senior level.

I'd still take him 'in a heart beat' though to echo another poster.

I think Thomson would be a perfect replacement for Jennngs. We haven't really had a battler in midfield this year to do the dirty work and he'd fit the bill IMO. I would have thought his wages might be a bit too pricey for us but you can live in hope.

For me, Reynolds was the most over-estimated Motherwell player for the last 10 years, easily.

Not saying he was a bad player or anything like it. However, the praise he received (or, more importantly, the overlooking of mistakes he made) by people on here constantly bemused me.

For me, Reynolds was the most over-estimated Motherwell player for the last 10 years, easily.

Not saying he was a bad player or anything like it. However, the praise he received (or, more importantly, the overlooking of mistakes he made) by people on here constantly bemused me.

I actually agree with this

It's the same with Hutchy (to an extent). People used to give Craigan dog's abuse, while letting Reynolds/Hutchy away with murder. I think we can all look at this season and safely say that not replacing Craigan has had a massive effect on our defence, and illustrated what he brought to the team. Obviously it doesn't all stem from Craigan alone, but it's a big factor.

Don't get me wrong, I love big Hutch, but he does make mistakes, as a young defender tends to do, and Reynolds was the same. However, I think it might be a little harsh to describe Reynolds as being that overrated. Reynolds, Craigan and Randolph was a phenomenal setup to have around the 6-yard box.

Definitely agree that Hutch and Reynolds would have been interesting to see. One cultured, footballing centre half, and the other an absolute beast of a lad.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again..............

http://www.thescotti...e-for-Well.html

Would love to see him back on a pay as you play basis, maybe there is more chance this time due to his current situation.

EDIT: Link is story in Sun that James McFadden could sign with us until end of season.

Edited by NottsMFC

I think our offer to Faddy in the summer benefited both parties. Would obviously be delighted if he signed, but I'm not convinced.

As regards the Reynolds/Craigan situation, people always have done and will continue to play down how important a player Craigan was for us. Take any period in his second spell where he was out the team for a prolongued period of time and we never done particularly well, aside from the end of last season with Clancy/Hutchy for a bit, despite the fact Clancy was a bit error prone.

Says to me we're not going to push the boat out for him. There could be a place for him but we're skint and know he not likely to want any sort of long term commitment.

So if he desperate to play rather than find the best deal it might be something might that happens. Wouldn't hold my breath any more than in the summer but he'd dp well signing on here even if offered buttons. He needs to play some games, though if Forest were willing to take a punt then someone else at that level might.