2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

I see the wages off those guys being spent on the next crop of youngsters who will be making the step up from U16 and above to the periphery of the team rather than it being wages saved.

Actually, I think that is cancelled out by moving to the under 20s league. Players who would have been too old for 19s and onto first team contracts will still be on youth contracts due to the change.

john barnes on twitter saying we are interested in greg tansey,decent player

On Sportscene on the first day of last season, McCall said he had looked at Tansey and would have tried harder to sign him had Jennings not signed a new deal, could happen this year!

Shame to see clancy go. Hopefully a fully fit Saunders can step back in with hutch (if we can keep him). Would love to keep Jennings, but he's put in a good shift for us over the last few years, so wouldn't grudge him a move to a bigger payday.

I don't think European football is going to be a big factor with these guys deciding to stay, as if they can get more money elsewhere due to the form they showed last season they should probably take it. However, I think the euro games may give us an edge over other clubs when were looking at out of contract guys.

Over the last few seasons I've learned to not worry about losing guys, as we've had the knack of finding some gems out of nowhere.

It is a shame to see clancy go but I believe that in Saunders we have a better player and Page is beginning to prove his worth so don't think he will be too sorely missed. Plus we have Devlin who will hopefully step up this year.

Seems mental that we have to cut the wage bill by 4k per week. Dont usually hope to sell anyone but think we might need to this summer.

Tim Clancy was a good stop gap signing who did us a turn. We'll now need some new cover in defence.

Central midfield is a different issue. I've been expecting Steve Jennings to move on before now but he hasn't - this year may be different. Keith Lasley is 32 going on 33 and won't last much longer - he was beginning to show his age a few months ago after a vintage season. I'd guess Stuart Carswell is being groomed to step up although he has to prove that he can do it (he hasn't yet in my book). So, we will need to bring in another midfielder.

Ideally you'd want a turnover of about 3/4 first team players per year and I think we'll be close to that. The big unknown is if we lose any of our top players late in the transfer window. Thats my big concern.

Tansey was someone who seemed to look quite bright early season and tailed off. Probably could do worse but we'd be worse off I suspect if he replacing Jennings.

Clancy was good cover but no great loss. Versatility helped us out but something of a bombscare as well. If Saunders is fit and Page who had a couple of promising games can step up we might not even need to replace him.

100% correct maplewell, Saunders return has made Clancy excess to requirements. Even with Craigan retiring we are still pretty well covered at the back with the young guys coming through who all aquited themselves well when required during the last season.

Having said that, I do think the Clancy is a good player and I wish him all the best (except against us)

As others have said its midfield and up front that we need to be concentrating on.

I think we are ok in the forward line to be honest. Ojamaa, Higdon, Murphy, and McHugh. McHugh really has to force himself into the team this season. If Murphy goes we need to replace him.

We have lost our two oldest and some would say most experienced CBs. I'd like to see one of these players replaced with a new signing and Saunders, Hutchinson, and, Page fighting him for the two starting places.

Cover for Hammell as well from this player would be handy. RBs we are ok for......not so great on the left.

• Like 1

Cant understand Clancy's move to hibs at all. They are a team in decline, a chairman who does not want to spend with a clueless manager. They will be in a relegation battle next season.

Double his cash at least I would suggest JBA, he was only with us a year so doesn't owe us much and I suppose the same could be said in return. We have decent young cover in both FB positions, Zaine Angol at LB and Devlin for RB.

I would like to see them getting more of a chance if injuries happen to Hately and Hammell.

Centre half I could maybe cope with Page, Hutch and Saunders but I personally think an older head is required to bring them on a bit. We must have some cash for signings as he offered Craggs and Clancy contracts so that's two wages he offered that are going free.

Oh and on the central midfield front does anyone else think that Hately might get what he wants and be a first choice in the middle. A pairing from Law Hately and Carswell really doesn't fill me with much confidence. Assuming we lose both the bruise brothers.

Think everyone is overlooking a wage we could lose without too much disruption to the squad in Omar Daley. IMO he has been a poor impact sub at best and we could put his wage(whatever it might be) to better use. I know we couldn't afford his wage but Johnny Hayes would be an excellent signing but with that senile old coffin dodger wanting to sign him for the sheep it would make my close season if we managed to pull it off

Double his cash at least I would suggest JBA, he was only with us a year so doesn't owe us much and I suppose the same could be said in return. We have decent young cover in both FB positions, Zaine Angol at LB and Devlin for RB.

I would like to see them getting more of a chance if injuries happen to Hately and Hammell.

Centre half I could maybe cope with Page, Hutch and Saunders but I personally think an older head is required to bring them on a bit. We must have some cash for signings as he offered Craggs and Clancy contracts so that's two wages he offered that are going free.

Oh and on the central midfield front does anyone else think that Hately might get what he wants and be a first choice in the middle. A pairing from Law Hately and Carswell really doesn't fill me with much confidence. Assuming we lose both the bruise brothers.

That would be the total worst case scenario where we lose both Lasley and Jennings but if it does happen then I'd rather see any random midfielder from the u-19s get a game in the middle rather than Hateley. At least then there's a chance they'd be good, where as it's been proven time and again that Hateley is not a centre mid no matter how much he wants to be. Does a decent job at right back and that's what he should stick to.

• Like 1