2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Aye, its not the type of business we do 'cause it is mental and this season has the potential to gub us financially. Whether he is a quality player not doesn't matter. It is a decision that is purely based on finance and I'm not sure you get that. The Club can't afford him at this moment. They likely won't be able to afford him if they punt Murphy for £200,000. There is no way the Club are going to take a gamble progressing to the lucrative rounds in European competition. Thankfully.

Why not ? I think we should be taking a short term financial punt, we only need to get through 1 round to ensure another 6 group stage games (Europa League) and all the rewards that brings. Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate, bring in a decent player on a good wage, and you might get the rewards, you wont win the raffle if you dont buy the ticket.

It's the stuff dreams are made of, but I still refuse to believe it. Turning out for the 'Well in Hammells testimonial could put an extra 1500/200 on the gate.

But who needs Faddy and Clarky whn we have Omar Daley mind?!?!?!? :blink:

clarky is a guaranteed hit for us and will stick with us for years. jenno's would be replacement could well be the next omar daley. i'd take my chances with las, law, hateley and carswell and go for goals.

Good to see that Ross Forbes has quickly been replaced as the scapegoat....

Never understood this constant need to have a player that is continually criticised within the squad. dry.gif

Anyway, I agree about Clarky - I think he'd be a great capture for us.

Why not ? I think we should be taking a short term financial punt, we only need to get through 1 round to ensure another 6 group stage games (Europa League) and all the rewards that brings. Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate, bring in a decent player on a good wage, and you might get the rewards, you wont win the raffle if you dont buy the ticket.

Celtic failed to get past the 1st round a few years back, if we spend and then fail its admin and a 21point loss - the gambles too much.

Kinda what stuwell said. There is no way the Club is going to gamble on something that the Old Firm have routinely failed to achieve over the last few years. Rangers, with a much bigger budget last year, got pumped out the CL and EL in rapid fashion. Celtic, also were out the EL pretty quickly but obviously got reinstated.

CL and EL is obviously a bonus.....but like St Johnstone, Dundee United, and, Hearts we will be hoping to get as far as possible with what we have and try to earn a few quid along the way. What I can assure you of is our board NOT gambling with an overdraft getting into the group stages as whether we like it or not it is far too risky a strategy for our Club. If we weren't going to do it in 2010 there is NO CHANCE of us doing it in 2012.

footballs a funny game that anything can happen in it, don't need to take a gamble just let the boys do there job and hope some things go our way and we get that little bit of luck! who knows what's going to happen we could get pumped 10-0 we could battle out a win on aggregate if things go our way no matter who we get, oh how I'd love mcfadden back and fit though! clarky too

Kinda what stuwell said. There is no way the Club is going to gamble on something that the Old Firm have routinely failed to achieve over the last few years. Rangers, with a much bigger budget last year, got pumped out the CL and EL in rapid fashion. Celtic, also were out the EL pretty quickly but obviously got reinstated.

CL and EL is obviously a bonus.....but like St Johnstone, Dundee United, and, Hearts we will be hoping to get as far as possible with what we have and try to earn a few quid along the way. What I can assure you of is our board NOT gambling with an overdraft getting into the group stages as whether we like it or not it is far too risky a strategy for our Club. If we weren't going to do it in 2010 there is NO CHANCE of us doing it in 2012.

It all comes down to the luck of the draw though, doesn't it? And if we could secure someone on a six month deal until January on reasonable wages then surely it's worth a risk?

Even better would be getting someone in on some sort of performance-related contract until January. It could benefit the right type of player (someone with no club who's looking to get regular football and back into the shop window).

• Like 1

It all comes down to the luck of the draw though, doesn't it? And if we could secure someone on a six month deal until January on reasonable wages then surely it's worth a risk?

Even better would be getting someone in on some sort of performance-related contract until January. It could benefit the right type of player (someone with no club who's looking to get regular football and back into the shop window).

Gamble on luck? Not a chance.

Your argument also appears to have shifted. Firstly it was gambling on a signing to progress us to the money round of Europe. Now it is reasonable wages with someone who wants to put themselves in the shop window. Faddy and Clarkson, for example, would be wanting a wee bit more than 'reasonable wages' and will likely get offered that down South. Or at Hibs. We just lost a player to them remember......so called 'reasonable wages' might be outside our grasp at the moment. I'm also convinced that if Lasley and Hammell weren't getting lucrative testimonial years as well we could have lost them too. Lasley has went on the record as saying he got better offers from other Clubs. Also the kind of player you describe is hardly going to make the difference between the CL group stages or the EL group stages and us getting eliminated in a QF round.

Lets give it a go with what we currently have (depending on Jennings' situation). If we sell Murphy then we need another striker......but it is not going to be someone who dramatically boosts our chances in Europe. Europe is a cracking distraction for us all....the real worries and concerns for the Club and US will be the two domestic competitions and the SPL.

Gamble on luck? Not a chance.

Your argument also appears to have shifted. Firstly it was gambling on a signing to progress us to the money round of Europe. Now it is reasonable wages with someone who wants to put themselves in the shop window. Faddy and Clarkson, for example, would be wanting a wee bit more than 'reasonable wages' and will likely get offered that down South. Or at Hibs. We just lost a player to them remember......so called 'reasonable wages' might be outside our grasp at the moment. I'm also convinced that if Lasley and Hammell weren't getting lucrative testimonial years as well we could have lost them too. Lasley has went on the record as saying he got better offers from other Clubs. Also the kind of player you describe is hardly going to make the difference between the CL group stages or the EL group stages and us getting eliminated in a QF round.

Lets give it a go with what we currently have (depending on Jennings' situation). If we sell Murphy then we need another striker......but it is not going to be someone who dramatically boosts our chances in Europe. Europe is a cracking distraction for us all....the real worries and concerns for the Club and US will be the two domestic competitions and the SPL.

You've just wasted my day, am close to tears after reading that ! ! :cry:

You've just wasted my day, am close to tears after reading that ! ! :cry:

Sorry mate :laugh:

Not trying to be a buzzkill. I know we took advantage of Ranger's situation by nicking their European spot..........but how ironic would it be if we ended up in a gubbed financial position just like them by 'chasing the dream'. No' worth it.

Anyway, the lads we have got us to third. If we get a kind enough draw in the EL Playoff Round who knows???

I hate all this returning hero pish, whether it's as a player or a manager. If McFadden did sign a short term deal (and it's a huge if, this story was in the fucking Sun) he would likely be a shadow of the player we sold to Everton, the scapegoat-lovers would soon get on his back once they realised he wasn't better than Ronaldo and it would all turn to shite. It's a bit like going back out with an old burd who was hot as fuck in her day and finding out her tits have gone all saggy and she's got hideous stretch marks and a fanny like a yawning hippo after 3 kids.

There's no better way to destroy your hero status at a club.

I hate all this returning hero pish, whether it's as a player or a manager. If McFadden did sign a short term deal (and it's a huge if, this story was in the fucking Sun) he would likely be a shadow of the player we sold to Everton, the scapegoat-lovers would soon get on his back once they realised he wasn't better than Ronaldo and it would all turn to shite. It's a bit like going back out with an old burd and finding out her tits have gone all saggy and she's got hideous stretch marks and a fanny like a yawning hippo after 3 kids.

:laugh:

I hate all this returning hero pish, whether it's as a player or a manager. If McFadden did sign a short term deal (and it's a huge if, this story was in the fucking Sun) he would likely be a shadow of the player we sold to Everton, the scapegoat-lovers would soon get on his back once they realised he wasn't better than Ronaldo and it would all turn to shite. It's a bit like going back out with an old burd who was hot as fuck in her day and finding out her tits have gone all saggy and she's got hideous stretch marks and a fanny like a yawning hippo after 3 kids.

you think Faddy was a better player then thatn he is now ? He's mibby not as fit but a shadow of the player :doh:

Your argument also appears to have shifted. Firstly it was gambling on a signing to progress us to the money round of Europe. Now it is reasonable wages with someone who wants to put themselves in the shop window.

My first post regarding the Clarkson situation was this;

Obviously there would be no discussion between player & club unless he knew what our financial situation is, which he undoubtedly would.

Would it be worth him taking a year to reset his career, play some European football and put himself in the shop window at the expense of higher wages? That would come down to the player himself, but it would certainly do him no harm.

Obviously the benefit to us would be having someone of decent quality on our books during our European push. The benefit to the player in question would be getting gametime and putting themselves in the shop window for a move in January.

They both go hand in hand.

Faddy and Clarkson, for example, would be wanting a wee bit more than 'reasonable wages' and will likely get offered that down South.

And if they do, then fair play to them, as I said a few pages back as well. It wouldn't hurt to put the word out to them that we're willing to sit down & talk if they decide they wish to lose a bit on the wages side of things for six months in order to play some European football and get some much needed gametime under their belts, possibly leading to a better move in January than they would get at the moment.

The amount of clubs who would be interested in a James McFadden with six months of football under his belt is certainly greater than those who are willing to take a gamble on a guy who's been on the treatment table more often than not recently.

Or at Hibs.

They wouldn't be playing any European football at Hibs this season, and the chances are pretty good that they'd be competing at the wrong end of the table as well.

We just lost a player to them remember......so called 'reasonable wages' might be outside our grasp at the moment.

I meant reasonable to us, not the player in question. We'd be looking to trade off something other than money. As I said, the offer of six months which includes European football and a regular run of games.

If McFadden comes into our team and plays for six months without any injury worries and at even half the level he's capable of he'll not doubt be touted as a Celtic target in January, along with other English clubs.

I'm also convinced that if Lasley and Hammell weren't getting lucrative testimonial years as well we could have lost them too. Lasley has went on the record as saying he got better offers from other Clubs.

You think so? I was under no real doubt that both would sign on here again. Where would they go? Hearts? Hibs? Aberdeen?

All those clubs can offer is a bit more cash. They offer fuck all on the footballing front except for uncertainty and underachievement.

At the end of the day, if a player is looking for money then he's never going to hang around Fir Park for long. We offer other factors than money to players who are looking at us as a viable employer.

Also the kind of player you describe is hardly going to make the difference between the CL group stages or the EL group stages and us getting eliminated in a QF round.

You don't think a McFadden or Clarkson can offer us something that our current strikers can't? Seriously?

It's also worth taking into account the fact that a relatively recognisable new name signing generates interest at a club. Something like that would help to get people excited again, and would maybe even put more season ticket money in the clubs bank account, not to mention the usual merchandise sales and so forth.

If McFadden signed a short-term deal with us tomorrow you can bet that our club shop will need a decent supply of his lettering and numbering for shirts over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Just like Hammell and Lasley were shodows of the players that left and have destroyed their hero status? Or even Phil O'Donnell? Pretty sure he was a great asset when he came back despite fitness issues.