2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

True on all counts. He is willing to take a huge pay cut to play for us and, unless a much better offer comes in very quickly, it looks highly likely that he will sign for six months. He is very family orientated and, with his wife and kids having settled up here since last year, he has considerations other than just money that affect his decisions.

Although I would hate to see it, I have to accept that combination of more money and proximity might see him go in January to the only big club left in Glasgow, or even to a club in the north of England, once he has proved his fitness and form with us. However, my claret-and-amber specs make me dream that he will love being back with us so much that he won't be able to tear himself away.

Then again, anything can happen in football, so unless an offer comes out of the blue very soon, I'm just going to make the most of every time I see him back in a Motherwell top. :yahoo:

huh.gif

If he's half decent (and cheap) it doesn't matter who he plays / played for.

McCall used to manage Bradford so why not go back down and pick up some bargains if he can

because 2 out of the 3 signings he has made from his old club have been duds and he doesn't seem to have any sort of objectivity when it comes to his old boys.

we've got 5 centre halfs at the club already and i'd be quite happy to go with them next season.

because 2 out of the 3 signings he has made from his old club have been duds and he doesn't seem to have any sort of objectivity when it comes to his old boys.

we've got 5 centre halfs at the club already and i'd be quite happy to go with them next season.

Law and Daley - who is the 3rd? Probably someone from previous season I have forgotten about.

Law has for the most part been a very good signing. Daley looked as if he would do OK, but in all honesty he has not delivered. Lazy bugger imho.

Not even the best Manager in the world gets 100% signings spot on. Give him a break and remember what budget or lack of budget he is working with!

If the defender from Bradford turns out to be like the injury prone Chris Porter I would be more than happy.

• Like 1

Law and Daley - who is the 3rd? Probably someone from previous season I have forgotten about.

Jones.

Our priorities, putting aside money considerations, should be an experienced centre half and a midfielder.

Looks like if Ramsden did sign he would be used at centre half, the article alludes to that and I can't see Hateley being shifted from his right back position.

steve jones.

law has been a great signing but mccall hasn't handled him too well. he spent a large part of the season trying to change a dangerous winger into a centre mid playmaker and it didn't work. it's pretty obvious law is his favourite and he even gets a hard time from the other player's on twitter for being the gaffer's pet.

omar is a bad joke but mccall still chose to give him a two year contract despite the fact that there wasn't one other team in for him and he is a very inconsistent player. that deal was clearly based more on sentimentality than reason and we can't afford that with our budget.

this guy is 31 in december, has never played above league two and has only managed 20 games out of 104 for his club over the past two seasons. not the sort of player we should be looking at.

steve jones.

law has been a great signing but mccall hasn't handled him too well. he spent a large part of the season trying to change a dangerous winger into a centre mid playmaker and it didn't work. it's pretty obvious law is his favourite and he even gets a hard time from the other player's on twitter for being the gaffer's pet.

omar is a bad joke but mccall still chose to give him a two year contract despite the fact that there wasn't one other team in for him and he is a very inconsistent player. that deal was clearly based more on sentimentality than reason and we can't afford that with our budget.

this guy is 31 in december, has never played above league two and has only managed 20 games out of 104 for his club over the past two seasons. not the sort of player we should be looking at.

Pretty much agree with paragraph 2 + 3. I suspect McCall would like fresh faces in for the Portugal training trip. So the defender from Bradford would need to show he is fully fit, before he commits to a deal. McCall knows more than we do he literally cannot afford to get it wrong. Still I would be worried with his injury record as stated above...

Until we know where Rangers will be playing next season, I'll be amazed if we sign anyone and expect us to just shuffle things around to replace those that have left. Although we'd maybe be willing to make an exception for a short-term deal for McFadden if it suited both parties!

Spoke to my mate who has seen RAmsden play nearly 100 times for Rochdale. "Not the tallest and not the quickest but you could do a whole lot worse" was the assessment. Sounds a bit like Tim Clancy to me. A guy that can play full back and centre back, McCall knows what he's capable of and won't cost the earth in wages. Doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world to me.

And to those slating Daley. I know fr mlong periods of last season his form wasn'r great. But he was instrumental in away wins at Pittodrie and McDiarmid park. Hardly as if he contributed nothing. And once again he won't he won't be on a king's ransom wages wise. He's a good option to have on the bench if only for nhis pace late in games...

clancy did alright for us but we'd have been better off giving page the opportunity imo. he did well in his starts at the end of the season and looks like he can contribute.

hutchy and saunders should be the first choice pairing with page as back up. we also have cummins who did well on his debut and euan murray who has been in the scotland age group teams. bringing in a guy who at best will be a par player when we could be developing better players is a waste of time and money imo.

also i don't understand why mccall is so keen to bring in so many players that got him the bullet at valley parade. very strange.

when he first came into the team he was immense at centreback.

we had clean sheets against rangers, celtic, dundee united, aberdeen and hearts with saunders at centre half.

since gannon left he has only played there a few times by my reckoning. the 3-3 game at ibrox, the 1-0 win at killie on a sunday and the win over hearts on a sunday last august.

Training starts tomorrow. If he's no there we can assume he's off.

Not necesarily for that reason. Did Boab Malcolm not arrive late one preseason?

In saying that I think he is off. Best of luck to him but it is time for us to be looking at a replacement.

id be happy enough going with the defenders that we have and playing saunders and hutchy together but if we could get a experienced defender in then id be all for it.if jenno does leave then signing a midfielder has to be the priority rather than shuffling the team about to move hateley into midfield

Phil O'Donnell returned to us with a horrendous injury record which he'd overcame.

Although I'm not comparing him to anyone else we look at, I'm only pointing out that as we know, players can go through periods of continual injury and then return to a good level of fitness and be relatively injury free.

edit: just seen a similar discussion on Faddy thread.

when are we going to hear something regarding Jennings?

Training starts tomorrow. If he's no there we can assume he's off.

I know is just in spite, but he should get told to bolt, if he's not back within a few days, his physical fitness for the first 5-6 weeks of the last few seasons has been a disgrace after an lazy summer, where he's returned later than the others.

if he wants Champions league football with Motherwell tell him to toe the line, if not give someone with the desire and professionalism the chance.

Golden boy or not!

Steve Jennings has told Motherwell boss Stuart McCall he won’t be signing a new contract with the club.

The Englishman has proved a popular figure at Fir Park since joining from Tranmere Rovers in 2009.

Jennings, 27, had been offered a two-year contract to extend his stay in Lanarkshire but he has chosen to decline despite the lure of playing in the Champions League qualifying stages.

Meanwhile McCall has admitted he won’t be able to offer James McFadden a deal to return to the club.

Can't say I'm surprised after all this time but I'm still gutted.