2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Alan Temple ‏@alanftemple

Not worth an article in own right, but; RE: McFadden to Hibs rumour. He's still training with Motherwell, not at East Mains. Nothing doing

Followed by

Transfer window rumours, eh? Interweb is a funny 'ol thing.

Amazing how easy it is for a random to start a rumour like this and for it to grow arms and legs. Nothing in it.

I think a lot is going to depend on whether Hutchy requires a long lay off & / or surgery. If he does then I can see Steven Saunders & Jon Page being our central defensive partnership for some weeks/months to come. There would also be lack of cover if Adam Cummins has not fully recovered either. Tom Hately would then resume duties at RB without question.

All this assumes that we don't sign anyone of course...which is unlikely.

We keep hearing about Devlin "emerging" but how close is he actually to the first team? Can anyone who watches the youth teams regularly provide an opinion on the player from that squad that might be looking to make the step up this season?

The lad Devlin missed a good part of last season through injury, but came back well in the spring. He did well at Stennie as other posters mentioned.

Of the others in the squad who are likely to progress; Cummins, Erwin, Hetherington and Murray should be looking to step up this year.

The lad Devlin missed a good part of last season through injury, but came back well in the spring. He did well at Stennie as other posters mentioned.

Of the others in the squad who are likely to progress; Cummins, Erwin, Hetherington and Murray should be looking to step up this year.

Is the left back from Spurs not at a similar level? Looking forward to these lads getting the opportunity to break through this season.

Is the left back from Spurs not at a similar level? Looking forward to these lads getting the opportunity to break through this season.

Francis -Angol is IMHO not quite there yet. He is a terrific player going forward but I feel gets caught out defensively at times.

He has pace and is strong, and if he can improve his defensive capabilities he won't be far away.

Think we knew Jenno wouldn't be back, this seems to back that up....

Jennings impressing Thorn

By Covsupport News Service/RD

Updated Friday, 13th July 2012

Midfielder getting fitter

Stephen Jennings, who is on trial with Coventry City after being released by Scottish side Motherwell, has been impressing the City manager Andy Thorn with his efforts in training.

The 27 year old midfielder is available on a free transfer, but arrived at Coventry not as fit as Thorn would have liked, but he is catching up with the rest of the squad and will play in the first pre-season friendly of the season at Hinckley United on Saturday.

Thorn told the CT, “He’s done well. He was a little behind on fitness but he’s working hard and playing catch-up. We like what we’ve seen so far and we’re looking forward to seeing him in a game.

“He’ll play at Hinckley tomorrow. I’m taking two teams and I’ll mix them up, so it won’t be a first team and a reserve team. It will be a mixture of senior players and the development squad boys.

Jennings will be joined by other players on trial with the Sky Blues, including two unnamed European players.

Thorn continued, “The new signings will play as well as a few trialists.”

Thorn had his players play in an eleven a side training game at Ryton on Tuesday to check their fitness levels leaving Thorn pleased with the outcome.He said, “They played 40 minutes each way and the tempo was really high, so I’m really pleased with how their fitness is coming on and the really pleasing thing is that the following day everyone came in and there were no reports of strains or pulls.

“It has been a really tough two weeks for the lads and we’ll complete the fortnight with a good workout at Hinckley and once that’s over we’ll be concentrating on more ball work.

“We obviously travel up to Scotland on Monday when we’ll have the three games up there to get plenty of pitch time into the players.”

Got to wonder why one of the best SPL midfielders over the last 2.5 years has to go on trial at a League 1 club. Has he no interest in staying in Scotland as the likes of Hibs/Aberdeen would definitely be interested? Did we offer him a pittance or indeed withdraw the contract offer?

Not like him to come back from the summer break out of shape...

Got to wonder why one of the best SPL midfielders over the last 2.5 years has to go on trial at a League 1 club. Has he no interest in staying in Scotland as the likes of Hibs/Aberdeen would definitely be interested? Did we offer him a pittance or indeed withdraw the contract offer?

Not like him to come back from the summer break out of shape...

Jenno must be desperate if he is going on trial. Surprised he has agreed to a trial at a League One club.

Its simple really, Coventry will be looking at players they know will cut it at that level on a limited budget, Trials are the only way ahead for them,

Jennoe was a good player at Motherwell, and on average prob one of the most consistant performers in the SPL last season, but that said League One, is a much better level of football on average than the SPL. The wage structure will prob confirm that.

I amagine that Jennoe would be looking for at least 2/3 k per week at Coventry, which is good money, so for Jennoe it is well worth a Trial dont you think!

Jennoe was a good player at Motherwell, and on average prob one of the most consistant performers in the SPL last season, but that said League One, is a much better level of football on average than the SPL. The wage structure will prob confirm that.

Nonsense. More money in English football period. I take in the odd Carlisle game and there is no way that they are at a "much better level".......and they just missed out on the play offs last season.

I really really hate it when people talk about League 1 being a 'better standard of football' because it's just not true. Some teams with bigger crowds and more money doesn't automatically mean better players and a better standard of football. Some of the teams kicking about the Championship are torture never mind League 1! The difference though, is that the media talk up the football down there and people just seem to believe it, where as up here the media / players / managers take every opportunity to tell us how bad Scottish football is!

• Like 1

Nothing I know of mate. The only reason I can come up with why Dazzer has been consistently down on one of the best Motherwell players in the last few years. I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll be corrected.

For the record, I like Jennoe, he is a good player, and im not slating him, im just highlighting that League One, is not as bad as we make it out to be!

Celtic and Rangers would prob challenge in that league, and some others would do ok. But no team in the SPL would find that level easy.

For the record, I like Jennoe, he is a good player, and im not slating him, im just highlighting that League One, is not as bad as we make it out to be!

Celtic and Rangers would prob challenge in that league, and some others would do ok. But no team in the SPL would find that level easy.

Celtic would have that league won by October.

• Like 1

:facepalm: Hisnae a clue.

He's been the Chris Humphrey Appreciation Society for the last year, would like to see our top goalscorer from last year dropped, and thinks Celtic "would probably challenge" in League One.

"Hisnae a clue" is a fair conclusion.

• Like 1

He's been the Chris Humphrey Appreciation Society for the last year, would like to see our top goalscorer from last year dropped, and thinks Celtic "would probably challenge" in League One.

"Hisnae a clue" is a fair conclusion.

To be honest... your right I would see Higdon on the bench,but like you and me both, we have different opinions, so accept that as long as I post on this forum ill share my opinion especially with you.

Perhaps a trip to the lower leagues in England, and you might realise the standard is better than you think.

SPL less Celtic, and most teams would be of League two standard, maybe lower League one.

I love scottish football, and enjoy watching it as much as i can, but really Scottish football needs to improve.

FIFA world rankings will confirm that.

Rank 49 in the World.

Wales and the Republic of Ireland 26 and 38 respectively.