2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

I'd love to see Clarkson come back, but I highly doubt it. McCall has said he might still need to cut the budget next season and we already have Higdon, Murphy, Daley, Ojamaa and McHugh signed for next season who can play upfront. The only way I can see Clarky returning is if Murphy departs. I do think he is a stick on for Bristol Rovers though.

I'm not familiar with in-jokes and such on here, but I really, really hope this is one of these jokes.

Why would signing up Tim Clancy for a further term be a joke?

He has had a good season with us.

I'm not familiar with in-jokes and such on here, but I really, really hope this is one of these jokes.

How is this a Joke ????

Clancy has had a good season with us and lets face it without him we "might" not have finished where we did.

I think he deserves a new contract.

I heard that big Crags is hanging up the boots at the end of the season. Seems like the kinda guy that would play as long as he can but maybe his recent injury is more of a problem than was first thought.

It was someone 'in the game' that I heard it from but that isn't necessarily a guarantee of accuracy...

i'm a bit worried about hammell.

reading between the lines of his interview the other day he isn't happy about being offered reduced terms. considering his contribution you can't blame him and i think the club have a few problems on the horizon if they expect the guys that are out of contract this year to take a wage reduction while the guys that have a year to run - randolph, law, higdon, hateley - remain on the current wage structure.

Hammell deserves to be treated well. A real stalward and consistent performer his whole Motherwell career and in many peoples eyes, including mine, a legend. It would be a crying shame if he were to leave when it's pretty clear he would be happy to spend the rest if his career here.

What's the excuse for the reduced terms after a good spell on and off the park?

i think it's just to do with costs going up and income staying steady. ticket prices are static while everything else is getting more expensive. derek weir has said that we would have had had to cut costs 12 months ago if wasn't for the cup final.

the thought of hammell or lasley joining another spl club because we won't pay them the wage they are due while omar picks up a wage here next season makes me think bad thoughts.

I don't know what Hammell earns or what level Motherwell want to re-negotiate at but I think it would be a great shame if we lost a player like that over a few hundred quid a week.

Having said that I'm fully aware that its only getting tougher to run a club like Motherwell on the limited income that we have and probably having a further reduced budget over the period of a future contract.

However I think we have to be very careful about negotiating new contracts. We need a good core to the team if we are going to be success in league and cup competitions. If we miss out on Europe or higher league placings and later stages of the domestic cups, we are losing out on substantial sums of money. If we are playing and performing well we will also attract good press and get scouts coming along to watch the team increasing the chance of transfer income.

It's a difficult balancing act but perhaps it would be wise to cap wages at current levels but not cut the wages of our more important players.

If it came down to it i'd rather have a good core of players earning more and younger players making up the rest of the squad than paying out for more experienced journeyman squad players.

i'm a bit worried about hammell.

reading between the lines of his interview the other day he isn't happy about being offered reduced terms. considering his contribution you can't blame him and i think the club have a few problems on the horizon if they expect the guys that are out of contract this year to take a wage reduction while the guys that have a year to run - randolph, law, higdon, hateley - remain on the current wage structure.

Our budget will dictate what players are offered, as it should. Other clubs, with the sole exception of Celtic, are cutting back too. You can't cut the salary of players midway through their contracts - thats not an option. In the main players will achieve their highest salary when aged 28 - 30. Don't forget Stevie will be 32 in 2 years time or 33 in 3 years time - in all likelihood past his peak.

The club will know what we can afford and I'm happy to go by what our Directors say. I for one would not be prepared to put our club's entire future in jeopardy in order to keep individual salaries at the same level or indeed to increase them. Many workers outside of football have had to accept wage cuts or freezes - its a sign of the times.

• Like 2

Other clubs, with the exception of Celtic haven't had as successful a season as us so should we really be using them as a yardstick? Qualifying for the Champions League surely means that we should be ahead of the rest?

. Many workers outside of football have had to accept wage cuts or freezes - its a sign of the times.

they don't have to accept it if they are offered more elsewhere.

signing hammell should be our priority. we need to figure out some way of getting rid of omar and giving his dough to stevie.

Noticed that McCall has been playing down the income generated from Europe.

Let's not forget that while our last accounts showed us in a wee profit, we were warned at the time by the directors that we would have a loss at the next accounts

I love Hammell, he's been an excellent servant to Motherwell over the years and a consistent performer. However with no disrespect to him I wouldn't break the bank to keep him. Now this isn't just about Hammy, I wouldn't want Motherwell to do so for any player but especially one in his 30's with no possible sell on value. I'm sure Motherwell will offer him the best contract possible(and a testimonial, an extra cash incentive). If he thinks he can get more money elsewhere then best of luck to him, no ill feelings from me. However at his age, as a man with a young settled family, in today's financial climate a long term contract and security is always going to be an appealing option.

Like I say I hope he stays but if he goes he goes. Gone are the days I worry about us losing players, they will come and go but we always seem to survive. I'm sure others will be outraged at my attitude to our squad's future etc. but it's just my approach to these things. At the start of McGhee's second season I was sure we'd be fighting for third/fourth again and we were bottom by Christmas, and ended up failing to make the top six. The season Gannon took over with the amount of players we lost and the state we were in I was sure we'd be in for a relegation dogfight. In the end we ended up fifth and qualifying for Europe. You never know what's going to happen next season, no real point fretting.

The future will take care of itself, right now we're Motherwell, Champions League. And I sincerely hope guys like Hammell, Craigan & Lasley are around to enjoy it. If anyone deserves it it's them.

Noticed that McCall has been playing down the income generated from Europe.

Last game v St Johnstone we had around 4,200 home fans at the game, Nuff said. A team like this deserves a lot more coming through the gate, sadly that's not happening and I'd say that's worrying for the future.

• Like 1

Guys like Hammell, Lasley and Craigan are worth their weight in gold to Motherwell. They know exactly what it means to play for us and should be treated accordingly. I heard that they were instrumental in keeping everyones heads up after Broon shafted us last year. Would be a travesty if they were allowed to leave over something like this. I don't imagine they are being unreasonable.

• Like 1