Greatest Motherwell Eleven

ONeils40yarder

What would be your all-time greatest Motherwell team in a McGhee style 4-3-3 (none of this 4-5-1 pish), players you have seen for Motherwell in the flesh only.

Dykstra

Corrigan

Martin

Krivokapic

Boyd

O'Neil

Lambert

O'Donnell

Cooper

Coyne

McFadden

Subs; Maxwell, McKinnon, McCart, Hughes, Davies, Kirk, Arnott

Only been watching Motherwell since '94/95 so...

Andy Goram

Stevie Hammel (the old version :()

Brian Martin

Van Der Gaag (liked him when i was a kid, did he even play CB?)

Paul Quinn (of last season)

Pearson

Lambert

O'Donnell

God (We know who that is)

Porter

McCormack

Subs: Marshall, Corrigan, The player i thought Bob Malcolm would be, Coyne, McDonald

EDIT:

Someone with the new Football Manager should stick the old Motherwell players in a team with loads of money so they don't move clubs, go on holiday and see where they finish after a year.

McCormack, Mcfadden, Pearson, McDonald & Porter all in the same team.

Makes me feel really old, looking at some of these selections :P

I'll go for:

Rennie

Nijholt

Martin

Krivocapic

Wark

Lambert

O'Neill

Cooper

Pettigrew

Graham

McFadden

Too many subs to list

I'm really surprised at your choice of 'keeper.

I never thought Stuart Rennie was that great and when he took too many steps in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Airdrie and they scored with the resultant free kisck, costing us a place in the final, he went down even further in my estimation. We've had plenty better 'keepers before and since. I really dont understand that selection.

I'm really surprised at your choice of 'keeper.

I never thought Stuart Rennie was that great and when he took too many steps in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Airdrie and they scored with the resultant free kisck, costing us a place in the final, he went down even further in my estimation. We've had plenty better 'keepers before and since. I really dont understand that selection.

The "too many steps' decision was a farce. Keepers did it every week, and were usually only pulled up on it if they were looking to waste time. It's like the newer rule about keepers holding onto the ball for 6 seconds - how often does that get enforced?

I don't think he was our best keeper, though. McRae tops that list.

The "too many steps' decision was a farce. Keepers did it every week, and were usually only pulled up on it if they were looking to waste time. It's like the newer rule about keepers holding onto the ball for 6 seconds - how often does that get enforced?

I don't think he was our best keeper, though. McRae tops that list.

Can't really remember that much about McRae, he was the keeper just as I started on the rollercoaster. I picked Rennie as the best of a bad lot really (in hindsight, maybe Maxwell desrved the place), but was never a big fan of Dykstra who seems to be a popular choice particularly among our younger contributors. Always thought he flattered to deceive, and I know a few guys older than me who thought the same of Keith McRae.

Quite simple and like some the selections show my age :P

McCloy

Nijholt

Martin

Boyd

Wark

Russell

O'Donnell

Marinello

Davidson

Pettigrew

Coyne

Subs

Sproat, Cooper, McLair, Lambert, Deans, McCart, McFadden

All in all a balanced team methinks that could easily win the league in this day and age.

My first game was in the mid 80's any my first real recollections of Motherwell were round about the Cup Win in 1991 but at eight and a half, my memory is a little hazy to be honest. Starting going every week with my dad around 1992/1993 and as such, my team would be:

Sieb Dykstra

Martyn Corrigan

Brian Martin

Chris McCart

Luc Nijholt

Scott Leitch

Phil O'Donnell

Paul Lambert

James McFadden

Tommy Coyne

Dougie Arnott

Subbies: Gordon Marshall, Miodrag Krivokapic, Rob McKinnon, Colin O'Neil, Davie Cooper, Scott McDonald, David Clarkson

My all-time favourite player is, without doubt, The Kasier... Legend!

Sieb Dykstra

Luc Nijholt

Brian Martin

Miodrag Krivokapic

Rab McKinnon

Colin O'Neill

Krisztian Vadocz :P

Paul Lambert

James McFadden

Tommy Coyne

Davie Cooper.

Trickiest one for me was who the ball winner was next to big Krisztian, but no-one can hold a candle to Pyscho in that department, purely for senitimental reasons...

McRae

Whiteford

Wark

Martin

McCallum (Willie)

Russell

O'Donnell

Cooper

Deans

Coyne

Pettigrew

I know this team would probably not gel particularly midfield and front three however just putting down best players in each position I can think of. BTW McRae only gets it cos I thought he was brilliant when I was wee. :notworthy: whether he was or not I can't remember.

Can't really remember that much about McRae, he was the keeper just as I started on the rollercoaster. I picked Rennie as the best of a bad lot really (in hindsight, maybe Maxwell desrved the place), but was never a big fan of Dykstra who seems to be a popular choice particularly among our younger contributors. Always thought he flattered to deceive, and I know a few guys older than me who thought the same of Keith McRae.

I remember MacRae playing for either a Scottish league team or the Under 23's can't remember which, but I'm pretty sure the defenders in front of him were Jardine and McGrain and they were passing it between them when an attacker broke through and MacRae came out and dived at his feet ending up with a broken wrist. He was out for months.

I was speaking to Malcolm Allison about him a year or so ago, and he said he was a terrific 'keeper with great agility but a complete headcase who wanted to play centre forward in training.

I remember MacRae playing for either a Scottish league team or the Under 23's can't remember which, but I'm pretty sure the defenders in front of him were Jardine and McGrain and they were passing it between them when an attacker broke through and MacRae came out and dived at his feet ending up with a broken wrist. He was out for months.

I was speaking to Malcolm Allison about him a year or so ago, and he said he was a terrific 'keeper with great agility but a complete headcase who wanted to play centre forward in training.

Well, he did famously play outfield for us a few times. I remember Ian St John saying in his book that he thought McRae was occasionally spectacular, but not basically sound. Always wondered why his career never really took off when he left us for such a big fee at the time (£100k).

Oh and by the way GIMFC....Gordon Mair??????? aka Night. You havin a laff?