Straight Question To The Board Of Mfc Re. Rangers Newco

Steve Diggle

147 members have voted

1. 1. Should The NEWCO Be Allowed Back Into The SPL?

If our club were to vote them back in, I would be absolutely disgusted. The club will lose money either way - Go against your own fans wishes & vote them in then said fans will not turn up/buy merchandise etc. I accept there may be a reduction in revenue without the bigots, but at least you keep the real life blood of the club, the fans, on side. Surely much more important.

That is without even mentioning 'sporting integrity'.

I live in England, most people can't even believe that the league would be entertaining allowing a newco straight back in.

It wouldn't happen in the EPL, & more importantly for me, if it were Motherwell reforming as a newco, there would be absolutely 0 chance of us getting straight back into the SPL.

• Like 4

Vote on what? The question is unlikely to be as straightforward as yes/no. There may well be conditions related to points penalties, voting changes, financial redistribution etc.

All of which would be past as soon as Rangers were kicked out anyway....

If anyone puts on a table to the new club that "if we let you back in then you must vote on this, that and also this" and then believe the representative of that club is a fucking imbecile.

Oh wait... it's the SPL :doh:

Motherwell are actually one of the few teams who could immediately benefit from saying 'no'.

Motherwell are on a healthy financial footing ad have already budgeted, unless i am mistaken - for Rangers being out of existence. In that case, 'no' may be a vote that would help rather than hinder Motherwell in their current capacity.

Teams like Kilmarnock, Dundee United etc with huge bank debts etc do not have such a luxury and therefore may be financially forced to say 'yes'.

Seems like I'm very much in a minority as for me it's a YES.

I accept the comments regarding sporting integrity and us being on a financially sound footing, but for me voting no will put at risk the future of the SPL for quite a long time.

Like it or not we do rely on the money we get from playing Rangers and also from the broadcast deal.There may well still be a broadcast deal but dramatically reduced.

There is also part of me that says saying no will eventually benefit Rangers, they get to reduce wage bills, they get to still potentially win trophies (ok 3rd Div etc) and they build a mentality with fans where everyone is against them. It also means the potential for them to buy the odd player from other SPL teams goes and thus less money circulating. I also believe they shoudl be made to face the punishment in the SPL. Playing each season with a points deduction and having to watch other teams take their place in Europe.

I think we all accept that it isn't a straight yes or no and i'm sure that we trust those in power at FP to share their thoughts and reasons for which way they decide when the time comes.

• Like 2

No

As stated before, it's a choice between right and wrong. It's that simple

This is a huge opportunity for MFC to do the right thing, and it's a once in a lifetime chance to help radically change the face of our National game

We will thrive

Would rather watch a shite honest league game than a "better quality" league game were teams can do what they want

That about sums it up for me.

The argument that the SPL would end up like the Welsh top division is idiotic nonsense and so flawed an argument its hilarious. The argument that the SPL would end up like the League of Ireland isn't far behind in the bullshit stakes.

However, just say for argument sake that a lack of Rangers did result in an SPL the level of the Irish league.

So what?

I'd happily take that over the complete disregard of sporting integrity, fairplay and dignity in favour of welcoming cheating bastards straight back into the league with open arms.

If the SPL announced this week that they were implementing new rules that would see referees purposely giving Rangers two penalties every match (jokes about current referee bias aside!) it would be recognised as blatant cheating and scrapped. If the SPL announced this week that they were introducing new rules that would allow Rangers to field an extra player every match it would be recognised as blatant cheating and scrapped. If the SPL announced this week that they would be providing Rangers with £5m in transfer funds every season it would be recognised as blatant cheating and scrapped.

If the SPL announce that they are going to allow a newco into the top division after everything that has gone on it will, in my opinion, be recognised as blatant cheating and should, therefore, be scrapped.

For years, the Italian leagues have been the shining beacon of corruption in world football. I never, ever thought I'd see the day where the Scottish leagues could potentially rival them for that honour.

• Like 2

For years, the Italian leagues have been the shining beacon of corruption in world football. I never, ever thought I'd see the day where the Scottish leagues could potential rival them for that honour.

I've harboured the thought that Scottish football is corrupt for years Jay, only now I have proof, or I could be about to see tangible proof should I say. I'm not surprised by anything that happens but I do want the SPL scrapped, same as I want the UK out of Europe though, unlikely but I have hope.

No, I don't agree with your analogy with Airdrieonians. They didn't buy Clydebank. They went bust. Finished. Dead. Buried. They couldn't buy a packet of fags.

So, there was this empty football stadium called the Shyberry Excelsior with nobody to play in it. Clydebank, who were then 2nd Division (I think) were looking for somewhere new to play. It made perfect sense for them to play at Airdrie. They then rebranded themselves and played in Diamonds to secure the allegiance of the support of the former club who played in that stadium.

Now, remember Clydebank hadn't done anything wrong and didn't face any sanctions, nor should they have done. They just kept on playing at the level they had been at. But in a new strip. Notice they acquired Airdrieonians' colours and something approximating their name, but they didn't acquire their record of winning trophies or anything like that - (if Airdrieonians ever won a trophy.)

So, if Cowdenbeath, or Ross County or St Mirren decide to play at Ibrox, in blue, and call themselves Rangers, basically they can. And without sanctions. THEY haven't failed to pay their taxes. THEY are just another innocent football club, taking advantage of a commercial opportunity. And they would continue playing at whatever level they had achieved.

On the other hand, if no existing club does a Clydebank, then the new company calling itself Rangers must take their chances with Gala Fairydean, Forres Mechanics and whoever else wants to join the SFL.

Chances are that with a large support and stadium, they would be admitted but at the bottom rung, like any other new entrant. That is only proper and fair. And without any further sanctions. They have just come into existence. How can they be guilty of anything ?

But if they are to be re-admitted straight into the SPL, then my days at any football match are numbered. I hope a vast number of fans agree with me. If Dundee Utd open their league campaign at say Paisley or Motherwell, in front of an empty stadium, then the baw will be seen to be burst. I keep hearing how much the diddy teams need the Old Firm. Well, they need us too. No supporters = no league = no business at Ibrox, Parkhead or anywhere else.

I hope a Campaign for SPL Justice starts and demands that Rangers are treated as they should be. Starting Monday when the fixture list is announced. They do NOT exist and should NOT be listed in the fixtures, nor have an SPL vote. Instead Club 'X' should be listed until such time as it has been decided who should replace the club who used to be called Glasgow Rangers, hopefully Dunfermline or Dundee.

Rangers are DEAD. An ex-football club. Gone with the likes of Airdrieonians and Gretna FC and Third Lanark. That is a bald fact, no matter how their fans and would-be chairman would like to dress it up.

No, I don't agree with your analogy with Airdrieonians. They didn't buy Clydebank. They went bust. Finished. Dead. Buried. They couldn't buy a packet of fags.

So, there was this empty football stadium called the Shyberry Excelsior with nobody to play in it. Clydebank, who were then 2nd Division (I think) were looking for somewhere new to play. It made perfect sense for them to play at Airdrie. They then rebranded themselves and played in Diamonds to secure the allegiance of the support of the former club who played in that stadium.

You're not correct, Jim Ballantyne formed a new club called Airdrie Utd (after failing to purchase the name Airdrieonians from the liquidator).

Airdrie Utd then applied to join the SFL but failed (Gretna getting the space).

Airdrie Utd then purchased Clydebank and then relocated to Airdrie with the name change to Airdrie Utd.

• Like 1

No.

The TV money I think would be less in the pot overall, but there may be the potential for other clubs to have a larger share thereof.

As for the chance of it creating a siege mentality in Rangers in the future - would it necessarily? And, at what level? The Fans? The players? The Board (whoever that may be)?

To my mind there is an opportunity here. Not to destroy Rangers (the damage they've done from within, they can build back from). The real opportunity is to change the current hegemony for the better. Both in terms of what happens in the league on the park and also to actually try and create a fairer, more democratic league.

Miss that opportunity, to hand out some slaps on the wrist and we give up far too much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/18417314#asset What is this arse bumpin his gums at ...check 4:20 into the interview.

so now we have:

reporter SPL status?

Green

'continue have dialog with the SPL'

'if on Thursday the CVA is turned down then we will effectively be out of the SPL we will have to apply for membership of that club effectively' (in respect to SPL)

'however, there has been 3 other applicants, so there is previous cases of clubs newco's being admitted to the SPL, '

'so this wouldn't be the first time'

reporter ? 'who are they'

Green 'I don't know the names but this is something that has happened before'

You're not correct, Jim Ballantyne formed a new club called Airdrie Utd (after failing to purchase the name Airdrieonians from the liquidator).

Airdrie Utd then applied to join the SFL but failed (Gretna getting the space).

Airdrie Utd then purchased Clydebank and then relocated to Airdrie with the name change to Airdrie Utd.

In that case, I stand corrected. That was my (mis)understanding. But my original point about a new Rangers company stands. They start again. In Division 3. And with no trophy record.

In that case, I stand corrected. That was my (mis)understanding. But my original point about a new Rangers company stands. They start again. In Division 3. And with no trophy record.

Unfortunately, there is no SPL precedent for this. That is why we are having the vote debacle.

I'm surprised at the overwhelming "no" here. I agree that rangers deserved to be punnished heavily, but there is so much to take into account.

Losing Rangers will definitely lower the standard of football in the SPL, we will lose money from TV rights and gate reciepts from games against rangers. We already struggle to compete financially with some of the lower leagues in England; if our budget was lowered even further then we would end up competing with the likes of the conference teams or welsh and irish teams. We could also suffer in the future as our youth system would lose some of its funding. It could then contribute to a lower quality of football in Scotland and may lead to the SPL losing european spots later. This will only lower our income even more leading to even further cuts in the future causing a snowball effect leading to a very poor quality league.

I think it may be possible to keep the integrity of the Scottish game AND allow rangers newco to be in the SPL, they just need to get punished in another way that won't screw over Motherwell and the other SPL teams. Heavy points deductions over several years or something like that?

I understand that people want rangers to be punbished like everyone else, but the fact of the matter is that right now, we rely on the money from Rangers and removing them will inevitebly negatively affect Motherwell Footbasll Club, whom I love

I only want the best for us and motherwell