Straight Question To The Board Of Mfc Re. Rangers Newco

Steve Diggle

147 members have voted

1. 1. Should The NEWCO Be Allowed Back Into The SPL?

Something that has become crystal clear via this statement is that the well society has solely been formed to provide the club with an interest free overdraft.

I don't believe the scaremongering as there is surely a contingency plan for relegation but I'd rather die with our heads held high. Vote yes and it's suicide.

The statement from the Club did not make pleasant reading, and certainly wasn't what many on here wanted to hear, but it certainly highlighted the predicament the club , and others, are in.

While I personally want to see Rangers punished fully for their cheating over the years, I don't want to see my own club go down the drain because of the decision taken. We don't have a sugar daddy to tide us over for a few years until things flatten out so ditching Rangers will mean an immediate cut in budget for Motherwell which will obviously result in a savage cutting of the playing staff.

The club statement said that we depend on SPL monies for about 36% of our income - that's not spin - you can check past annual reports. However, no matter what we trim we can't cut on the club's overheads ( rent, electricity etc) so the major cutting would need to be done to the playing staff- perhaps a 50% reduction.

So to all those who are demanding a staight "No" I ask - "Who would you get rid of"?

Take what you would consider as your choice 18 line up for a Saturday and then pick the 9 you will put out the door.

Then tell me you will be back at Fir Park every second week to watch what's left.

• Like 1

So you mean we will go back to 2002, but unlike last time we will have 10 other teams on the same position. Suits me fine.

36% of income comes from SPL. With ESPN no longer having a flag ship, and Sky not even intermating what they would cut (my guess last seasons figure would be new deal).

We have enough players at the club that we can possibly get money for at this stage.

Randolph, Hutchison, Murphy and Law for starters.

Would imagine any combination of Randolph and a.n. other would be enough to cover what we would lose out on. With their wages free, enough to bring in replacements, not necessarily of the same quality granted but every club will be in the same position.

The good thing is we don't have to sell them until after the qualifying ties in Europe.

Then if we were to scrape our way into even the Europa League, who knows maybe for this season we wouldn't have to sell.

I can always dream.

However a No vote has to be done, they wouldn't give two hoots if it was us in the situation.

Then tell me you will be back at Fir Park every second week to watch what's left.

If the club vote no I will take the consequences and I will be back no matter who is playing for us and in what league we are in.

If the club vote yes I won't be back to watch who is there at the moment. I don't go to Fir Park because Darren Randolph and Nicky Law play for us, I go just the same as I did when Stevie Woods and Derek Townsley were in the team.

I will not be part of a league that parachutes a new team in to the top league for financial gain.

Bills we can't pay? Fuck it, form a NewCo.

laugh1.gif Funny as that is Haggis, there is a serious side to that comment and one, that if memory serves me correctly, was raised on one of the 2 debates on Thursday night - that there are at least 2 other clubs monitoring the 'Newco' situation very closely with a view to going down the same road should the penalties be anything less than severe for Rangers.

Never mentioned names, but it just shows what a farce this has become. I maintain my stance that I will not harm my club by walking away - I don't do walking away - but the lack of direction and the lack of clarity in this whole sorry mess, makes it increasingly difficult for clubs to encourage others to do the same.

Me, never had any other feeling than 'No - to Newco'

we try to sell players in every transfer window and aren't very good at it. even if we have a bidder it isn't always possible to get a player to leave.

we can't just wave a magic wand and take randolph and law off the wage bill. the club owes them a lot of money for season 2012-13.

We're not going to fucking die! FFS! Hell if Rangers can die in the SPL when they're taking a large share of the monies from the SPL - then we'd just be as likely to die in the SPL with Rangers in it. Anyone who says we are, without showing the proof of the matter is a fucking liar.

Talks now around the web that Sky will be passing on reducing the budget for the 2012/13 season while negoatiations will be for the 2013/14 season. If our board cannot plan for a year in advance (on a budget that will probably be knocked back to 2011/12 size (regarding) TV then they're in the wrong fucking job!

I think what a march would do, would be to grab some immediate attention in the main stream media

Fan forums and a well fan meeting are great, but I would say some more direct action has to be taken on this hugely important issue

A march involving fans of Scottish Clubs (except one) would be great......I think (if properly organized) the turnout could be huge

There are 30 Senior Sides with no Rangers or TV money - some are even full time and have had no access for years, some decade or more.

There are 50 other SFA affiliates without Rangers or TV money

There is also another few hundred with no Rangers or TV money (many spending more than a fairfew Senior and SFA affiliates).

The statement from the Club did not make pleasant reading, and certainly wasn't what many on here wanted to hear, but it certainly highlighted the predicament the club , and others, are in.

While I personally want to see Rangers punished fully for their cheating over the years, I don't want to see my own club go down the drain because of the decision taken. We don't have a sugar daddy to tide us over for a few years until things flatten out so ditching Rangers will mean an immediate cut in budget for Motherwell which will obviously result in a savage cutting of the playing staff.

The club statement said that we depend on SPL monies for about 36% of our income - that's not spin - you can check past annual reports. However, no matter what we trim we can't cut on the club's overheads ( rent, electricity etc) so the major cutting would need to be done to the playing staff- perhaps a 50% reduction.

So to all those who are demanding a staight "No" I ask - "Who would you get rid of"?

Take what you would consider as your choice 18 line up for a Saturday and then pick the 9 you will put out the door.

Complete and utter bullshit scaremongering fuckin jog on with this

50% cut in playing staff, no credibility , nothing but an apologist for a yes vote , I'll tell u what cuts do need to be made

But a yes vote will mean cuts as well

The club even said that but you choose to miss it

It's a shit situation caused by others, but a league where two clubs are literally treated like they can do no wrong will die

I have been a Motherwell supporter all my life. I have followed them when relegated and when being successful. Who they played didn't matter, I supported my team and I will until I'm no longer here. To me, I'm the kind of person the club should be listening to especially now when the club want me to be part of the Society that will have some say in the running of the club. So if my club need my help to vote correctly and put Rangers? at the bottom of the pile, where they belong, so be it. All this scaremongering about loss of revenue is just that, until someone can put figures to it that show the losses. The point being they can't do it because no one has challenged Sky regards the TV deal, no one knows the positive effect that having 11 teams chasing a European spot in the league will have to attendances and no one knows the negative effect that keeping Rangers? in the league might have on away support and non returning home support. So I still say NO to Newco

I'd focus as much money on the playing staff and youth development as possible. Stadium repair comes second. Everything else is irrelevent to me.

I think a NO vote would see an inmprovement in our attendances and I don't imagine that SKY will butcher the deal too heavily, so really not buying this 36% - think that is absolute worse case scenario of no TV deal, which won't happen. Maybe more like 15-20%, maybe less with improvement gates and better financial distrubutuion. Sell on a player or two and get to the Europa League group stages and it could be an 36% more money!

So aye, I'd cut the freebies, media budget, non-essentials, etc as much as possible before cutting the "football" side of the club.

I read the depressing Motherwell statement in the Metro today. What baffles me is that these clubs don't seem to fully understand what a 'yes' vote will mean.

Personally I can't see our game recover - there will be boycotts across the league and a huge percentage of people will never ever come back.

Celtic fans will boycott the games of people who said yes and Rangers fans will boycotts the clubs that said no. Then you have all of us fans who will just never go back.

So why is that even a difficult decision? Yes I understand there could be financial pain, but I would rather see us lose our first team than see Scottish football die on its arse.

This decision goes way beyond money.

• Like 2

There are 30 Senior Sides with no Rangers or TV money - some are even full time and have had no access for years, some decade or more.

There are 50 other SFA affiliates without Rangers or TV money

There is also another few hundred with no Rangers or TV money (many spending more than a fairfew Senior and SFA affiliates).

and how many of them owe out as much money as we do in the next 12 months?

Has anyone got a copy of the Andrew Lapping letter to the Herald?

Edit. I think I’ve found it...

"The SPL should seize the opportunity to change its voting structure such that decisions are made by the majority not the minority. On football grounds alone, Rangers need to be punished for their arrogance, tax evasion and downright bullying – the punishment will only be temporary but the real opportunity is for a change in voting rights to facilitate wholesale reform for the good of the game. This may be tough on both Celtic and newco Rangers, but most supporters will welcome a more level playing field.”

"Competition will raise standards, increase interest from passive supporters and ultimately see a redistribution of income across a wider number of clubs. The catalyst is an immediate change in the voting system, to be followed by a root and branch review in the knowledge that the conclusions can be implemented."