Pitch Invasion

gunn

Just watched the highlights of the Football League show an it seems every club there allows this to happen? Some great scenes of fans and players all having a good time. And on my way to work I was listening to the podcast of the BBC Scotland football show and Leeann Dempster was talking about how she encourages a better atmosphere at games. So would this not make it for a better party?? And why are we not allowed it?

The short answer as I understand it, is that it costs the club money.

If fans invade the pitch they get fined. If it happens again, they increase the severity, if you do it again, the fine gets larger still and so on....

Just watched the highlights of the Football League show an it seems every club there allows this to happen? Some great scenes of fans and players all having a good time. And on my way to work I was listening to the podcast of the BBC Scotland football show and Leeann Dempster was talking about how she encourages a better atmosphere at games. So would this not make it for a better party?? And why are we not allowed it?

Because, historically, a significant section of Scottish fans (and we all know who they are) are incapable of behaving.

Unfortunately, that has had a knock-on effect from drinking inside grounds to partying on the pitch a the end of season.

Did some idiot not punch an opposition player a few years ago during a last game pitch invasion. I seem to remember this and I've got a feeling it was against Celtic.

Anyone else remember anything or am I making it up?

Did some idiot not punch an opposition player a few years ago during a last game pitch invasion. I seem to remember this and I've got a feeling it was against Celtic.

Anyone else remember anything or am I making it up?

Yes it was aganst Celtic can't remember who the player was though

How about if the club asks permission and its done in a controlled manner after the players and officials are 'safe' ?

I know this kinda takes away the spontaneity, but would great to be out on the pitch saluting the players in the POD for a job Well done.

....any chance Flow?

I think the Celtic player was Liam Miller.

I think we may be missing a vital point here - would the players actually want it? They're, on the whole, a bunch of young guys who I imagine may be a tad uncomfortable standing in the middle of a football pitch with 1000 folk charging at them from all sides. They probably just want to do a wee lap of honour and go celebrate amongst themselves.

• Like 1

The short answer as I understand it, is that it costs the club money.

If fans invade the pitch they get fined. If it happens again, they increase the severity, if you do it again, the fine gets larger still and so on....

Disnae really answer the question though, why is it deemed so wrong? The Celtic incident was never proven, was that wee arse that's down at Burnely or Preston, Ross Wallace, greeting that somebody kicked him on the way off. I disbelieve that completely cos during the game if anyone went near him he would do a swallow dive wi' a half pike and scream for a penalty.

Anyroads a good natured pitch invasion is not dangerous but the PC brigade deem it to be a risk. Been involved in plenty of them as a youngster, and some later years as well :evilgrin: but hardly ever does it turn ugly. The fans are going on to celebrate in time honoured fashion, fuck all wrong with that.

Said before though, best thing was I used it as a short cut to the Cooper Stand after the game meant I got to the pub quicker. :thumbup:

Aye it was Ross Wallace, I can remember being on the pitch, right up next to the tunnel and an infuriated Neil Lennon was being told to calm down and go to tee dressing room. Wondered why at the time, but it became clear upon returning to the car when I heard Wallace had been kicked.

Folks,

The reasons why we don't have invasions, as people have mentioned, is because the authorities frown on it - quite heavily as it happens.

We've not had one at Fir Park for six seasons now and that, combined with other factors, means our relationship with the relevant authorities both locally and nationally is much, much better (which is why we've had majority Police-free games this season and, as such, a much more relaxed stance on standing, drums, flags and what have you).

So no, please stay in the stands as per usual and the players will, without doubt, acknowledge the quite brilliant support we've had this year!

That puts the club in an even stronger position when it comes to demonstrating our capability to 'safely' steward a match at the ground and will allow us to continue to make progress on the matchday experience, free from the occasional over-exuberance of the authorities in most matches.

Cheers,

I seem to mind loads of Well fans heading over to the South stand to noise up the travelling Rangers support a fair while back and that leading to a clamp down on pitch invasions.

It's all very well when it's just us celebrating but when you add a couple of thousand disappointed/bitter fans into the mix you have the potential for trouble.

The pitch "invasion" was a ritual on the last home game of the season and meant as a celebration and thank you to the players and staff of MFC.

It's a pity that it can't be seen that way nowadays :popcorn:

No one else remember Jim Leighton getting jawed?

I remember after the game in car awaiting the media outcry but the match report on Clyde was cut short so that some media fucknugget could have an interview with Jo Venglos. :blink:

i remember in 2005 there was a lot of warnings not to invade the park if celtic clinched the league at fir park on the final day. it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if skippy hadn't sent all the tims home before the final whistle.