Entertainment - The Saviour Of Scottish Football

joewarkfanclub

Taking the whole Rangers argument out of the equation, I think the most disappointing aspect of the season has been the poor attendaces at Fir Park given our lofty league position and Champions League qualification.

There are obviously many reasons for this, the recession, unemployment, gate prices, live tv and fixture scheduling all play a part.

However, I think our style of play has contributed greatly to this as on the whole we havent been great to watch.

Today, however, we proved that we can play attractive passing football AND most importantly be effective and get results.

Now I realise over the course of a season a manager has to be able to change personel and tacts for different opponents, but given our 'alleged poverty' I cant help thinking how many more bums on seats we would have had if we had played more passing football and less route 1.

Obviously cant guarantee that we would have got the same results, but if Stuart McCall wants to have more money to keep/freshen up the squad, surely this should be a consideration.

Thoughts?

I genuinely don't think that the standard of football plays a particularly huge bearing in people's decision on whether to go to a game or not.

I think people will go primarily because they support the team obviously but factors such as the importance of the fixture, the attractiveness of the ticket price and the scheduling of the game are all considerations I think folk outwith the core support would make before deciding to go on the basis of the style of football being played.

I actually said today at the game that it is great that we don't play route one football. We do try to play from the back and don't hoof it up the park and hope for the best.

As an aside, we were given entertainment today on and off the pitch. My son and I had a great day.

We generally don't play route one football.

We started the season trying to play football but as the season has gone on we have had an over reliance on the long ball to Higdon to get us up the park. On the whole it has been effective but not pretty.

Anyway, the point was, do people think the manager should put more of an emphasis on entertainment to get punters paying at the gate to in turn help him improve the squad?

Our attendances this season have been extremely disappointing and is a continual bug bear of mine.

We have only spent 10 days of the entire season outside the top 3 and yet attendances have been poor at all times. I know that money and inconvenient kick off times play a factor but we had 16,000 at the final in May! About 30% of that I reckon were maws, sisters, aunties and general well wishers etc that you wouldn't expect to journey down to Fir Park every second week and about 40% would've been die hard regular attenders/season ticket holders but that still leaves a helluva lot of "lapsed" fans; Guys that would fall out with you if you dared suggest they were "part timers" but probably haven't been to a Motherwell game since Hampden that day! These people are a disgrace, and I can personally think of about a dozen folk I know who fall into this category, and you can bet your arse they'll all be at Fir Park if we get PSV etc in Europe!

If this season doesn't want to get the casual or lapsed fan back to Fir Park then nothing will.

Our attendances this season have been extremely disappointing and is a continual bug bear of mine.

We have only spent 10 days of the entire season outside the top 3 and yet attendances have been poor at all times. I know that money and inconvenient kick off times play a factor but we had 16,000 at the final in May! About 30% of that I reckon were maws, sisters, aunties and general well wishers etc that you wouldn't expect to journey down to Fir Park every second week and about 40% would've been die hard regular attenders/season ticket holders but that still leaves a helluva lot of "lapsed" fans; Guys that would fall out with you if you dared suggest they were "part timers" but probably haven't been to a Motherwell game since Hampden that day! These people are a disgrace, and I can personally think of about a dozen folk I know who fall into this category, and you can bet your arse they'll all be at Fir Park if we get PSV etc in Europe!

If this season doesn't want to get the casual or lapsed fan back to Fir Park then nothing will.

Do you think the style of play has had any impact on that though?

How many times did we have larger than normal attendances, only to play pish fitba or fall flat on our arses?

If we had played well/been more entertaining would any of those extra supporters have been encouraged to come back?

Dont forget that a lot of the 16,000 at the Final last May were exiles like myself , my dad and my brother who maybe only get up for 2 or 3 games a season but will pull out all the stops to attend a Final and most definately a Champions League Qualifier. We would love to have the time and finances to come up for every home game but unfortunately we dont.

We're hoping to go to the away leg as well if it's not in the 'back of beyond'! :thumbup:

We don't have a poor support, we have a numerically small support that's stayed pretty constant for a long time regardless of whether we're 2nd, 3rd, or bottom. Some times it's higher, sometimes it's lower, but in general our core support doesn't and won't waver very much.

Take it as a percentage of population though, and we have the largest support in the league. (Yes we have out-of-town fans like myself, but every club does so that cancels itself out). The ratio of people who attend Fir Park to population of the town, is higher than any other town or city in Scotland.

And people who just come to big games aren't "glory hunters" or whatever else you want to call them, they are people who are just enjoying a big day out, the same as they would make an effort to go to any big day out that was in any way relevant to them. It's not a crime to not be interested in week-in-week-out football attendance, you can be a fan of a team and yet have better things to do with your money. It's a special occasion and people are going to make an effort to take part, who wouldn't normally.

that still leaves a helluva lot of "lapsed" fans; Guys that would fall out with you if you dared suggest they were "part timers" but probably haven't been to a Motherwell game since Hampden that day! These people are a disgrace, and I can personally think of about a dozen folk I know who fall into this category, and you can bet your arse they'll all be at Fir Park if we get PSV etc in Europe!

There's something really seriously unhinged about people who hold that viewpoint. What's wrong with not being interested in attending regular football matches? Does that mean you can't be a fan? Can being a football fan not be a separate thing from being a football attendee? Probably 80% of people on this forum (not to mention in Scotland), would consider them to be a fan of and English or foreign club....and would probably make the effort to go if there happened to be a big occasion that they were able to attend. Are they a disgrace because they don't go and see them every week? Can they not just be a fan of a club who'd make an effort over and above what they would normally do, because it's a special occasion?

Am I allowed to go and see a band in concert if I don't have all their albums? Is that okay with you?

Football snobbery does my fucking tits in.

• Like 3

The simple reason attendances are low is down to cost. Nothing else. Drop the ticket prices and watch the stadiums fill up.

It's nothing to do with the quality of the football.

That's partially true, but I bet if you let everyone into Fir Park every week for free, we still wouldn't have to ever put up a "Ground Full" sign.

There's something really seriously unhinged about people who hold that viewpoint. What's wrong with not being interested in attending regular football matches? Does that mean you can't be a fan? Can being a football fan not be a separate thing from being a football attendee? Probably 80% of people on this forum (not to mention in Scotland), would consider them to be a fan of and English or foreign club....and would probably make the effort to go if there happened to be a big occasion that they were able to attend. Are they a disgrace because they don't go and see them every week? Can they not just be a fan of a club who'd make an effort over and above what they would normally do, because it's a special occasion?

Am I allowed to go and see a band in concert if I don't have all their albums? Is that okay with you?

Football snobbery does my fucking tits in.

Nail. Head.

I find it amazing that folk get upset about fans not making every game, or turning out at cup finals/semis whatever. Honestly couldn't care less, its a day oot for everyone.

milo, we've known each other almost all our lives. And I know you've no doubt over my credentials as a 'Well fan. However, priorities change.

Any spare cash I have is spent on my kids, giving them every opportunity in life (as we had), be it swimming lessons, BBs and GBs, dancing, football coaching, school trips, holidays, days out, etc, etc, etc - the list is endless. This leaves very little, if anything, for me.

I simply cannot afford a regular day out to a game of football, especially now I'd be bringing my boy along, when I can get so much more value for money elsewhere, treating both the kids.

For the record, I have only been to one game since Hampden, I will be attending Fir Park (with my son) for the Champions League and Europa League games - no matter the opponents - and will be making every attempt, within my means, to make it to the away legs. The cost of this will probably prohibit me from attending most other games next season.

I am in no way offended by being called a part-timer as that is exactly what I am. I will be back, though, no matter what the entertainment factor, and no matter where we are in the league. In fact, no matter what league we are in. When it becomes affordable. And I can assure you, my son will be with me.

• Like 7

I heard someone on your call today talking about how bad our attendance at the St. J game was considering our position. He suggested that we were averaging double that recently.

Maybe 20 years ago...

Ok so a few folk disagree!! laugh.gif

Looking back, "disgrace" is too strong a word. Perhaps I should've said "I don't understand folk that only go along to the big games", but then a counter argument for mitigating circumstances was provided for that so fair enough.

I stand by my last sentence though.

You have my permission to go gigs Al.wink.gif

I heard someone on your call today talking about how bad our attendance at the St. J game was considering our position. He suggested that we were averaging double that recently.

Maybe 20 years ago...

Correct, I think our average SPL attendance at FP this season is just over 5600.

The simple reason attendances are low is down to cost. Nothing else. Drop the ticket prices and watch the stadiums fill up.

Spot on! Combine significantly lower pricing with consistent and acceptable kick off times and crowds will rise yes.gif

Spot on! Combine significantly lower pricing with consistent and acceptable kick off times and crowds will rise yes.gif

How about lower pricing, acceptable k/o times AND attractive passing football?

(we will take a suitably punished Newco and fairer voting rights etc as a given! lol!)

Yip. Consistently lower prices is the only way to get fans back regularly.

I imagine most people are like me, going to games is a habit. Get to a few games back to back and I'm gutted if I miss the next one. Miss a few for whatever reason and I'm not as bothered about going. That's why one off price drops don't do much for a long term increase in attendances. We need consistently low prices if we want people to get into that habit of going to games, and being bothered if they miss one.

How about lower pricing, acceptable k/o times AND attractive passing football?

(we will take a suitably punished Newco and fairer voting rights etc as a given! lol!)

yer just being greedy now!! I wonder though how many people rate it as something that gets them down to a game though as I bet its a low one on everyones top 5!

yer just being greedy now!! I wonder though how many people rate it as something that gets them down to a game though as I bet its a low one on everyones top 5!

Well if you are going to buy a cake, you might as well eat it!

I actually think its a mixture of all the things mentioned and I dont think you could put them in order of importance.

Clearly people want prices to be lower and to watch their football at regular times but most would trade away one or t'other for a winning team and/or one thats good to watch.

My circumstances are slightly different cause I stay in Ayrshire so I tend to prioritise the games I attend. Obviously if the team is playing well you are more likely to make the effort.