Entertainment - The Saviour Of Scottish Football

joewarkfanclub

Two points.

1) I think Motherwell have the highest average attendance of any provincial club in the SPL so at least relatively we are doing OK attendance wise.

2) When I first started going to Motherwell matches back in the 1980's there were roughly the same number of people going to matches as there is now - round a bout the 4,000 mark.

Attendances increased during the boom years of the mid to late 90's but those figures were something of an anomaly. At the peak we had average crowds of just under 7,000 but it was a peak, not something that we sustained over a decade. Most of the time we have had far fewer coming along, in fact roughly the same as our average figure now of about 5,500.

Scooje you are a part timer but for the right reasons and i wish you well but this is a FANS FORUM and you're not really a fan are you. Is about 2 hours on a saturday afternoon too much to ask to watch your team? I can understand it would be very pricey to bring the kids along but if you are a Well fan should you not still go and then spend the other 46 hours at the weekend with them. If more people in the Lanarkshire area got off their arses we could have a decent wee support never mind the mould firm. Our support every week is less than Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd and that is because of the PART TIMERS!!! <_>

Two points.

1) I think Motherwell have the highest average attendance of any provincial club in the SPL so at least relatively we are doing OK attendance wise.

2) When I first started going to Motherwell matches back in the 1980's there were roughly the same number of people going to matches as there is now - round a bout the 4,000 mark.

Attendances increased during the boom years of the mid to late 90's but those figures were something of an anomaly. At the peak we had average crowds of just under 7,000 but it was a peak, not something that we sustained over a decade. Most of the time we have had far fewer coming along, in fact roughly the same as our average figure now of about 5,500.

Little to do with our support and everything to do with larger travelling supports. Watched Motherwell for over 40 years and with the exception of the odd 'special' games, our support has rarely nudged over the 4,000 mark.

We won the 1st Division in the 80's against Clydebank in front of just over 2,000 fans. This isn't just about Motherwell though, every other team in the country has suffered. Football was/is habit forming, get out of it and its hard to get back - 3.00pm kick-offs (Wednesday's for midweek games), ooh and while we're at it the re-introduction of the 'Macaroon Bar and Spearmint Chewing Gum' vendors.

The crowd at the StJ game was pretty poor but from whereI was sitting the biggest disappointment was the lack of StJ fans in the away stand - I'm sure they announced around 480 - and for a club chasing europe that was really poor. Yes we could have added an extra few fans but I was expecting 1000+ StJ fans.

Two points.

This is just not true. According to the official site we have pulled in 126,472 in 21 home games this season averaging 6,022 per match. In SPL games we had 105,498 in 17 matches. That means an average crowd at SPL games of 6,205. PLEASE STOP TALKING US DOWN!