No To Newco Protests

Rico

Rumour of a number of supporters groups having protests at their clubs' matches this weekend. Simple banners etc to show their opposition of a new Rangers being allowed entry into the SPL. We have a display planned before the match (nothing to do with this) however we will have a banner present to show wour stance towards the situation and would encourage anyone who is against a NewCo in the SPL to make their opposition known to the club. Maybe even make your own banner.

For me we can live without the money Rangers generate themselves. The problem is the TV money.

So why then have I not heard anyone talk about letting the TV companies now how angry they are?

Unless you can pressure the TV companies not to pull out of Scottish football or offer reduced terms if there is no Rangers in the top flight then the protests will be a waste of time.

If every fan out side of Rangers said "If we demote Rangers and you pull out of the TV deal, we will cancel out Sky subscription" then maybe something positive might happen that would allow the club chairmen more room to maneuver. As it stands now, they have no real choice.

Chairmen aren't going to let Rangers back in because they want to do Rangers a favour, it's because they need the TV money. That is the crucial element here.

• Like 1

For me we can live without the money Rangers generate themselves. The problem is the TV money.

So why then have I not heard anyone talk about letting the TV companies now how angry they are?

Unless you can pressure the TV companies not to pull out of Scottish football or offer reduced terms if there is no Rangers in the top flight then the protests will be a waste of time.

If every fan out side of Rangers said "If we demote Rangers and you pull out of the TV deal, we will cancel out Sky subscription" then maybe something positive might happen that would allow the club chairmen more room to maneuver. As it stands now, they have no real choice.

Chairmen aren't going to let Rangers back in because they want to do Rangers a favour, it's because they need the TV money. That is the crucial element here.

Top idea. I would Definately consider canx my Sky Sports and Movies if Sky pulled out. 10000 subscriptions canx across Scotland at £25 quid minimum a month would surely hurt Sky.

I have made this point all along.

I would drop Sky in a heartbeat if they backed out of Scottish Football becuase Rangers were not in the SPL. We should be making louder noises along these lines.

Someone responded to say that a few 000 subcriptions would make little difference. Well I pay £60 a month = £720 a year for Sky Sports and ESPN. Even 10,000 cancellations equates to approx £7m. Each 10,000 a similar figure. It would only take 15,000 cancelled Sky subs to offset the money they pay to the SPL.

I have made this point all along.

I would drop Sky in a heartbeat if they backed out of Scottish Football becuase Rangers were not in the SPL. We should be making louder noises along these lines.

Someone responded to say that a few 000 subcriptions would make little difference. Well I pay £60 a month = £720 a year for Sky Sports and ESPN. Even 10,000 cancellations equates to approx £7m. Each 10,000 a similar figure. It would only take 15,000 cancelled Sky subs to offset the money they pay to the SPL.

It would also effect their advertising rates if x number of people are no longer watching the network, so I think your figures there would actually be on the conservative side.

I only have Sky Sports for te Heineken Cup, but am more than willing to ditch them.

My bargaining tool is the £90 per month that Sky get from me: TV/Phone/Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know how to make this stance more public, set up a petition say and pass it round the rest of the SPL ?

The question is are they? I have not read anything from BSkyB about this whole scenario. Just those who think themselves journalists and eh... Neil "SPL requires to go down to 10 teams, becoming one of if not the smallest top league in Europe to survive" Doncaster....

The question is are they? I have not read anything from BSkyB about this whole scenario. Just those who think themselves journalists and eh... Neil "SPL requires to go down to 10 teams, becoming one of if not the smallest top league in Europe to survive" Doncaster....

A good point, and that maybe makes it even more important to make your voices known if sky are as yet undecided.

Surely the clubs would be in touch with sky though and be told what the potential situation is. If sky has told the clubs they will offer vastly reduced terms, then the clubs should come out and say that so the fans know what to think.

I only have Sky Sports for te Heineken Cup, but am more than willing to ditch them.

My bargaining tool is the £90 per month that Sky get from me: TV/Phone/Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know how to make this stance more public, set up a petition say and pass it round the rest of the SPL ?

As an exile I only have SKY/ESPN for Scottish football and i will ditch them if they ditch Scottish Football!

I'm sure Sky would make an offer, obviously reduced terms. If the clubs could agree to distribute the sky income more fairly in the absence of Rangers, we may not be that much worse off.

When it comes to identifying the culprits for this mess, Sky are far from the top of the list.

I heard the Dundee Utd chairman on the radio this afternoon basically re-iterating exactly what the Kilmarnock chairman said last week so the books closed on the outcome of any SPL vote!!!dry.gif

Incidentally the current SPL Board is made up of Ralph Topping (SPL Chairman), Neil Doncaster (SPL Chief Executive), Eric Riley (Celtic FC), Stephen Thompson (Dundee United FC), Derek Weir (Motherwell FC) and Steven Brown (St Johnstone FC) however Stephen Thomson said that he thought it was unfair that the vote should be taken only by the SPL Board but should be thrown open to all clubs to vote. Why?? So when a difficult decision comes up, those elected to the Board to make decisions on behalf of the rest want to crap out of it so they can everybody's hands in the blood.

Oh and and the grapevine has is that the third club with a squeaky bum on this matter is ours.

If the media keep going on about how worthless we are without Rangers then tv companies will certainly loose interest.

Why the media have been going on how worthless Scotland is without England for decades, and granted some people believe it while others do not. It is what the media do, sadly.

I heard the Dundee Utd chairman on the radio this afternoon basically re-iterating exactly what the Kilmarnock chairman said last week so the books closed on the outcome of any SPL vote!!!dry.gif

Incidentally the current SPL Board is made up of Ralph Topping (SPL Chairman), Neil Doncaster (SPL Chief Executive), Eric Riley (Celtic FC), Stephen Thompson (Dundee United FC), Derek Weir (Motherwell FC) and Steven Brown (St Johnstone FC) however Stephen Thomson said that he thought it was unfair that the vote should be taken only by the SPL Board but should be thrown open to all clubs to vote. Why?? So when a difficult decision comes up, those elected to the Board to make decisions on behalf of the rest want to crap out of it so they can everybody's hands in the blood.

Oh and and the grapevine has is that the third club with a squeaky bum on this matter is ours.

Directors of the SPL Board didn't want their respective clubs to feel the wrath of fan boycotts. The blame can now be shared more evenly.

If every fan out side of Rangers said "If we demote Rangers and you pull out of the TV deal, we will cancel out Sky subscription" then maybe something positive might happen that would allow the club chairmen more room to maneuver.

X 2. I've been saying this for ages. Setting aside the Rangers Newco issue, fans on here have been complaining bitterly for long enough about odd kick off times to suit TV. Maybe time for action - cancel Sky + ESPN. For me the TV companies are at the heart of this debate.

The issue for non OF clubs is not gate money - Rangers might generate an extra £120k per year for us plus sundries like food & drink but minus policing/stewarding costs. Its the TV money thats at the crux of this issue.

Surely the clubs would be in touch with sky though and be told what the potential situation is.

Stephen Thompson said today that Sky weren't telling anyone what they would do should Rangers not be in the SPL, which was just making the decision more difficult for everyone.

Our arse belongs to sky and im not in favour of dancing on administration graves. Wasn't so long ago it was us so let things continue as they are and stop the witch hunt folks . I dont like either of the old firm and i would like to see them both in the English Leagues. :mellow: . We could then re negotiate a deal for the SPL that would suit us all.