Stephen Craigan Announces Retirement

swami

Big thanks to Craggs for 14 years incredible service.

Ultimate professional and a great example to any young player on and off the park.

Motherwell FC's most capped player ever and great ambassador for the club during some pretty tumultuous / successful times.

All the best for the future Craggs. You'll always be welcome at Fir Park.

• Like 2

Stop looking right at me when you're doing your punditry on the telly, it makes me feel rather uncomfortable!!

Aye, think he has been taking lessons from Butch Harmon on that front!!!

Perfect example of a guy who made the most out of his limited ability with sheer hardwork and desire. 100% effort and passion in every match, no matter what the occassion!. Sensible, intelligent guy off the park too, hence the reason he is doing so well in the media now.

Will always be remembered by Motherwell fans for his cup semi-final goals, but outwith MFC, will always be remembered as the guy who kept Rooney/Owen quiet in the Norn's 1-0 win over England and as the guy who retired Raul from international fitba!

Craggs = legend for both Motherwell FC and Northern Ireland.

one of the best moments of Craigan in a well shirt... Taking a (pretend) shotgun to Nacho Novo

That was a brilliant moment. At the time i wished it was a real one :ph34r:

Can only echo everyones comments. Thanks for the memories Craggs and good luck with your radio / TV career

He is just one of those honest, solid professionals that know what he and the club are both about and it suited him.

Fact that he is our most capped player at international level with 50-odd caps and was captain of his country speaks volumes about the guy.

Indeed, the Norn Irish fans hold him just as high regard as we do.

Thanks for the memories and the many great nights.

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Yes thanks for a lot of good memories Craggs. I remember his celebration after scoring and at the end of the St. Johnstone semi at Hampden last year. Good luck with your media career and hope to see him back at the Ark in some coaching capacity. :cheers:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4307404/I-lost-my-drive-when-dad-died-and-knew-I-had-to-call-it-a-day.html

STEPHEN CRAIGAN last night told how he lost his edge following the death of his father.

Emotional Motherwell captain Craigan confessed losing his dad John just four months ago had hit him harder than he thought.

Proud Craigan Snr was always first on the phone to talk tactics and hail his son’s heroics in the heart of the Fir Park defence.

Craigan Jnr has missed those chats terribly.

So, it is with a heavy heart, the 35-year-old admits now’s the right time to call it a day.

Craggs told SunSport: “I’ve always had great motivation and desire. I’ve always had that siege mentality of wanting to prove people wrong.

“But if I am brutally honest, perhaps that has waned in the last few months.

“I couldn’t get myself up for training sometimes and I always said if I got to that stage I would call it a day.

“I wasn’t training and feeling the way I was five or six years ago.

“I lost my dad in January and that has affected me more than I thought it had. My dad was like any other dad. He was football, football, football.

“He always wanted to talk to me about football and how I had played and how we were doing. I’ve missed that and it’s taken the edge off for me.

“The phone calls haven’t came and the chats haven’t been there.

“I always got the best out of myself when I played on the edge and trained on the edge. I didn’t want to let myself down. I have done more than I thought I would ever do and it’s the right time.”

Craigan, in his second spell at Fir Park following a stint at Partick Thistle, is preparing for an emotional farewell on Sunday.

The Ulsterman — who has made 378 appearances for Well and amassed 54 caps for Northern Ireland — will bring the curtain down on a remarkable 18-year career against Dundee United.

He added: “I’ve had some wonderful times at Motherwell and that’s part of the reason I’m calling it quits just now.

“We’ve qualified for the Champions League qualifiers and surpassed our best ever points tally.

“On a personal level it would be hard for me to top that. I wanted to finish on a high. I’m doing that.”

Well boss Stuart McCall had offered the defender a new one-year deal.

But Craigan — set to pursue a career in the media — couldn’t be tempted to sign.

He said: “I must admit, I had a wee wobble when the manager offered me a new contract as I wasn’t expecting it.

“But I’m sure this is the right thing to do. I’ve enjoyed so many happy times here, but the time is right to walk away.”

Craigan admits he’ll struggle to keep his emotions in check when he takes a final bow in front of the Well fans.

He added: “Sunday will be emotional, I know that. My mum is coming over for my last game. My wife and wee one will be there too. If my dad was alive he’d be there too.

“I’m getting emotional just thinking and talking about it, so I know it will be a difficult one for me on Sunday.

“But I want to show the fans how much I’ve appreciated them over the years.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4307404/I-lost-my-drive-when-dad-died-and-knew-I-had-to-call-it-a-day.html#ixzz1ueJvTr9S

McCall said it'd be a full strength side, although a booking for Higgy would rule him out on day one next season.

Not sure if it makes much difference whether he's on or not. Get the feeling the game will just be a side note to the celebrations tomorrow.