2012/13 Pre Season Thread

Iain7_mfc

I know its only a pre season game geared towards getting fitness levels up etc. , and team was a mix of experience and youth , but central defence to me at moment is a big concern . Page to me is a few inches too short and struggles aerially , and I'm not convinced Ramsden is any better than the youngsters we have at our disposal already .

Ach, no too worried yet. It was an enjoyable trip to Starks Park, always liked that place. As a few have said, I don't think we can place too much weight on these performances. McCall is trying a few things out just now so I think after the season he's just given us the least we can do is give him the pre-season before we hit the panic button.

They also scored a peach of an equaliser. Peach.

Just back in from the match,

went for a nice fish supper afterwards at a place called valentines

Game was ok

Imho Page was the best on the park and ramsden looked solid if not spectacular and

saunders looked like he was getting more and more match fit

some of the young lads were ok

Raith did deserve to win for sure and were unlucky

but as previous posters have said this aint about winning

its about fitness and seeing if any of the young guns are ready to take the step up etc

and a chance for mccall to mix things up a little and see what sparks

roll on saturday

and hopefully a good result against Arbroath on wednesday

VerV

Edited by verv

That in itself is unbelievably harsh. Our top scorer and two of the most solid players in our defence last season.

Yes and no Findlay. Even last season I felt a lot of the time that Murphy was capable of a lot more that he was producing and the same goes for big Higdon. I like both these players and know they are as good as we are likely to get with our budget etc..

I know that these games are experimental and we had less than half of our probable 1st team out there tonight. But we are only a couple of weeks from our biggest games in recent years. If Hutchy is not back in time I worry that we will be exposed time and again in central defence..

I am pragmatic when it comed to evaluating Motherwell performances and tend to err on the side of optimism. I think we will get a better idea where we are after the Everton game as I hope we will play our 1st choice 11 for the upcoming European games

grrrr just lost my full post :dash2:

Las was poor, no very poor, Hammell had me worried but settled

Saunders left me wondering WTF was he meant to be doing? he was all over the place

Ramsden looked fairly assured and interesting to see McCall move him forward into midfield later in the game

Page after a wee wobble early on looked pretty good, and good to see a player comfortable using both feet

Hetherington impressed out of all the young lads, Watt looked overly keen and wasted some posession going for long range efforts etc but has potential

some of our only spark came from Murphy but he is wasted in the midfield

like the look of big Erwin but he was wasted tonight as he made so much space and had good movement but no one used him, always opting to hit Higdon with the thru' ball

attacking some of the problem was just that they never knew who was doing what from the midfield up and they were getting in each others way running across each other etc

now thats fine and its what preseason is for but champions league game is in 14 days

I think we've left preseason too late this year and will struggle to get a starting eleven playing any more than a game together in the next fortnight

Don't take my comment the wrong way , possibly worded it badly . I like Page and think he can do us a job , just better suited to sweeper type role in my opinion , with someone with a bit of presence in beside him , as I think he's a good reader of the game , but balls in the air are not his main strength . I didnt feel Ramsden offered anything more than the boy Cummins did when he partnered Page at end of last season , and I wouldn't like to see us blow what little money may be available on someone whos no better than what we already have .

I jusr hope we hold on to Hutchy in transfer window and he stays injury free

• Like 1

I think we've left preseason too late this year and will struggle to get a starting eleven playing any more than a game together in the next fortnight

Agreed Iain. Tomorrow night's game against Arbroath will be the same again. However I'm concerned about central defence. I just don't think that we've enough muscle there without Hutch. Tend to agree about Jamie Murphy - he looked to be in the mood tonight but like much of last season didn't seem to know where he was meant to be playing. He was just as likely to pop up at full back as he was to support Michael Higdon. It made life difficult for his colleagues who found it almost impossible to play with him.

a draw was a fair result i reckon. raith,s goal was well worked. one motherwell fan went home very happy as he won the 1/2 time draw, pocketing £156. canny mind his name & the crowd was announced as 898 or thereabouts. nice wee park but i agree with other posters, defence is defo weakest point, imo. fingers x, we can stay injury free

Yes and no Findlay. Even last season I felt a lot of the time that Murphy was capable of a lot more that he was producing and the same goes for big Higdon. I like both these players and know they are as good as we are likely to get with our budget etc..

I know that these games are experimental and we had less than half of our probable 1st team out there tonight. But we are only a couple of weeks from our biggest games in recent years. If Hutchy is not back in time I worry that we will be exposed time and again in central defence..

I am pragmatic when it comed to evaluating Motherwell performances and tend to err on the side of optimism. I think we will get a better idea where we are after the Everton game as I hope we will play our 1st choice 11 for the upcoming European games

No way you can say you expected more from Randolph and Hanmell last season though.

No way you can say you expected more from Randolph and Hanmell last season though.

A forensic analysis of every post would show some shortcomings. In hindsight I should not have included Randolph and Hammell. That said my feelings are much like Brazilians post. I am not sure another 2 weeks will deliver a finely honed and in tune team, based on the evidence so far....that is my principal concern

I thought it was a step up from Saturday still a good way to go. Share the concerns that the Champions League games may come too soon. It surely wouldn't be the case that they are actually being written off completely and viewed as part of the pre-season are they?:huh:

I can understand the thinking of splitting the team between two matches so that almost all of them will get an hour plus. It also presents the teams with an additional challenge - the youngsters testing themselves alongside senior players whilst the senior players may have more of an additional responsibility to help bring on the youngsters, more than they perhaps might alongside recognised first-team colleagues. Certainly Raith gave those that played a good work-out, no doubt about that.

That said there is the question as to what point do we begin focussing on getting a team prepared for those CL games, Presumably after tonight that will ofcourse Everton and Hamilton but we certainly don't appear as readied and fluent as we appeared in the first couple of friendlies at Morton and Dumbarton last season.

Do we have a game a week on Saturday? Would McCall want to risk adding another game in between Accies and the first CL game?

As for the game itself there was a general lack of incisiveness throughout. We varied from spraying the ball about fairly well to some awful distribution and poor decision making.

The draw was about fair although Rovers were unlucky not to nick it at the end.

Was a good wee evening nonetheless. Good to visit somewhere we haven't been for a while.

Can't believe the negativity on here it's a friendly! Look at other results aberdeen losing to Elgin county drawing with Nairn! Glad to see them getting an hour or so and happy to see youngsters coming through! Would be surprised if this is our full squad by the end of the transfer window

Game tonight off apparently - waterlogged pitch Motherwell FC@MotherwellFCTonight's match with Arbroath has been cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.

I know that a Motherwell XI are scheduled to face Wishaw on the 28th but I think we could be doing with the first team getting a run out in another fixture that day. Two more friendlies until the CL game is not enough. I can only imagine the Arbroath game was scheduled as we lost the Bucharest game.

I suppose their might be a closed door game or two but they should try and get a local team (Albion, Clyde etc.) to play us and try and get some dosh out of it.

Game tonight off apparently - waterlogged pitch Motherwell FC@MotherwellFCTonight's match with Arbroath has been cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.

Pissing with rain in the North East Ricky, with a fair wind. Gayfield would have the waves coming over the back wall...

I suppose there's an added difficulty in slotting in another game - the weekend of the 28th sees the Ramsden's Cup begin that weekend.

A fair chunk of potential opponents will be out of the equation as they will be playing in that or won't be interested in a game because they will be have completed preparations for that.

Ofcourse that doesn't prevent us considering a game slightly further afield but it hasn't been ideal.