Well Society To Vote On Newco Rangers

OfficialMFC

The following statement from the Board has been posted on the Official website:

The board of Motherwell FC met yesterday to discuss the vote by SPL member clubs on the question of the admission of a successor club or ‘Newco’ Rangers FC into the SPL.

The current board of Motherwell FC are not the owners of the club but are the trustees of the majority shareholding as we transition towards a fan-ownership model through the successfully launched ‘Well Society.

We are very conscious of our duties as directors to protect the financial interests of our club. The decision making on ‘Newco’ is rendered extremely difficult by the complexity of the potential scenarios and the uncertainty around the likely financial implications of all of them.

We are increasingly of the view that the uncertainties around the financial implications are substantial and negative under all likely scenarios. This is a matter of extreme regret for our club given all the work being undertaken on a strategy to help us grow sustainably as a community and family based club owned and run by our fans.

At a time we should be enjoying the club’s success on the park and development off it, we face a grave threat to the viability of our sport and our club through no fault of our own.

It is our view that in the face of this we will be best placed if we live by the spirit of the model we are seeking to achieve. We believe it is mission critical that we both listen, and are seen to have listened, to the views of our members and shareholders on whom our club relies now and for the future. Under all scenarios we need to come together as a club to see this situation through.

We will therefore hold a ballot of adult ‘Well Society Members and the small number of existing minority shareholders who have yet to join the society, on a ‘one member/shareholder-one vote’ basis. The results of the ballot will be independently audited and will be used to determine which way the club votes on 4th July.

Ownership in any business has to mean making decisions and then dealing with the outcome. The timing for administering a ballot is not ideal, given the constraints we face but we believe it can be achieved and underpins the way we want our club to be run. Given that Society members have already parted with their cash with the purpose of having a say in the future running of the club, we believe using this group is the most practical and sustainable way for us to proceed. The final date for votes cast will be Friday 29th June 2012. All existing members can vote. Anyone joining between now and the date of the ballot will be required to pay in full to secure a vote.

An impartial guidance document on the likely risks to club finances of each outcome will be supplied as part of the information Society members will receive in order to vote. This will be our assessment based on the information available to us at this time. In reality this analysis will never be perfect as it relies on estimates which change daily.

We look to all our members, shareholders and supporters to stand behind the club at such a pressured time for all. Motherwell fans have never been found wanting and we have to ask for their loyalty and support once again.

Anyone with any questions on the ballot should email wellsociety@motherwellfc.co.uk.

• Like 16

Time to dig those season ticket renewal forms out and get them filled in I reckon...

Agreed. I'll be looking mine out shortly.

My attendance at away games in the new campaign will still be up for debate depending on how the SPL as a whole votes (just the actual games mind, I'll still be in about the away days!) - but this move from the club has secured my season ticket money and my continuation as a member of the Well Society.

Even if by some sort of miracle the Society votes 'yes', the club itself has got a lot of respect back from me through this move.

• Like 3

A BIG well done to the Board and Trustees for reaching this decision.

I am delighted they have done so, even although MFC will lose out commercially.

I don't doubt that such a decision almost guarantees a no vote to allow Newco Rangers back to the SPL.

In short they have put their or rather our money where their mouth is.

Gives me great faith in going forwards even if it means some short term pain....

It's a very positive move by the board

as long as the 'impartial guidance document' is just that, with the exception of one unbalanced press release, they have excelled yet again on this matter and as such I'll be putting more cash into the club as best I can.

be good if they could save club cash on providing this guidance by allowing those ready to vote the opportunity to do so,

Great stuff by the club and a real statement of intent for the way things will be done in future. Whichever way our the vote goes, the club have done all they can and should be applauded for sticking by their model for the Well Society.

This is fan power at its best. Well done to the Motherwell board for handing an extremely important decision to those people who have put their own cash into the club.

To all those people who are Well society members take a cold hard look at the figures and don't let your heart rules your heads. I strongly feel Rangers should be punished and a NO vote for me is the way forward but make your OWN decision. As we no doubt will pay for this decision by more cold hard cash being pumped into the club again shortly.

This is a rallying call to every Motherwell fan. Get involved in the Well society and get your season tickets purchased asap. We must show the same faith in the club as they are showing to the fans and society members. Show the club we CAN make the hard decisions but can do so with the future of the club at the forefront of our decisions and dig deep the club need our money more than ever.

• Like 1