Well Society To Vote On Newco Rangers

OfficialMFC

£970k total patg income.

31% from rangers. 29% from celtic. 31% from the other 9 clubs. therefore 9% from motherwell fans which is £87,500.

the other 9 away attendances at fir park were pathetic last season. hibs in the reduced ticket game and hearts in august were probably the only ones who broke 600.

I've just seen this. The letter only applies to SPL games. 125,000 people came to Fir Park last season for SPL, League Cup and Scottish Cup games. They paid an average of £15 each making £1,875,000. Rangers absence in the SPL would have reduced the total coming to Fir Park last season to 115,000. That might have cut gate income by say £200,000 or 8.5% or so. On 6 June we were told that season ticket sales were up by over 26%. According to the way you do your figures less than 300 Motherwell fans on average pay at the gate. Apparently we can look forward to much bigger home crowds without Rangers.

By the way, you're wrong about Hearts and Hibs. There were 7,456 fans at the last day of the season match agains Dundee United. I can't remember how many Arabs were there but it was at least a couple of thousand. In a more competitive SPL, without Rangers and with Celtic having to live without their greedy lion's share of resources, I believe attendances can only go up.

Serious times ahead for a few clubs in the SPL if TV money / Sponsorship is withdrawn. Glad that the club have quickly involved Society members in a very serious vote for the club. Having looked over the advice, the club are in a hard place as a yes vote would alienate many home and opposition supporters, and a no vote is financially crippling to the club. My view is that when the no vote is approved (with or without MFC input) we will require to dig deep again to keep the Club moving forward.

Although I can understand folk view that the board has weighed the document heavily in favour of a yes vote but I think that they have put forward the worse case senario so the if thing go bad they cannot be accused of mis-informing anyone - I've no doubt that if thing go tit's up then some folk who vote will still look to blame someone else.

We have less that 800 members of the society who will make this choice but I hope that whatever the outcome, we will have thousands of 'well fans willing to stand fully behind their choice and support the club financially because both a yes or no vote will have a negative financial effect on our club.

• Like 1

By the way, you're wrong about Hearts and Hibs. There were 7,456 fans at the last day of the season match agains Dundee United. I can't remember how many Arabs were there but it was at least a couple of thousand. In a more competitive SPL, without Rangers and with Celtic having to live without their greedy lion's share of resources, I believe attendances can only go up.

:blink:

there was a lot more than 5500 well fans at that game. it was reduced entry and the east was packed with the other two stands busier than usual.

united's support was about the same as st johnstone brought through in the previous home game.

One slightly misleading thing in the letter is the SPL income for last season. As we finished third this was a few hundred grand more than we would normally get. I'm sure we don't budget for finishing third so any reduction wouldn't be quite as much as the letter insinuates.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who felt that the "Impartial" Guidance document failed to live up to its name, Financial pain either way but heavily weighted in favour of a Yeas vote as the lesser of 2 evils

Can't agree with that, I thought it was as impartial as they could possibly make it. The only difference is that they can say with more certainty what the results will be of a 'yes' vote but I think any claims of weighting the documentation in that direction are very unfair.

• Like 1

:blink:

there was a lot more than 5500 well fans at that game. it was reduced entry and the east was packed with the other two stands busier than usual.

united's support was about the same as st johnstone brought through in the previous home game.

I wish I could test you on that but I have no access to away fans' figures on that day. But if you are saying that the average pay at the gate numbers of 'Well fans went up by 2,000 or more, I'd have to be sceptical.

My subsidiary point was to refute the assertion that there were more than 600 away fans on only two occasions last season.

Can there be any doubt that more Motherwell fans will attend Fir Park when the SPL is not a two-horse race, when the bulk of non-gate income is not awarded to the Ugly Sisters, and when we have a more realistic chance to qualify for European competition, and when bigotry, from either side ceases to be the dominant factor in Scottish football?

I wish I could test you on that but I have no access to away fans' figures on that day. But if you are saying that the average pay at the gate numbers of 'Well fans went up by 2,000 or more, I'd have to be sceptical.

My subsidiary point was to refute the assertion that there were more

than 600 away fans on only two occasions last season.

it was reduced entry and the final day of the season. i'd say our support was about the same as at the reduced entry hibs games.

Can there be any doubt that more Motherwell fans will attend Fir Park when the SPL is not a two-horse race, when the bulk of non-gate income is not awarded to the Ugly Sisters, and when we have a more realistic chance to qualify for European competition, and when bigotry, from either side ceases to be the dominant factor in Scottish football?

why will a one horse race be any more appealing than a two horse race?

there's not going to be a greater chance of european football as we are about to slide down to 4 places rather than 5.

bigotry is not the dominant factor in scottish football.

:laugh:

what's funny about that? there were five places but it looks like we'll be down to four for a good few years.

just read tam cowan's column about the well society and the fans backing the club. great stuff but i don't see thomas cowan anywhere on the members list?

It doesn't matter the number of places...the fact is we have more chance of finishing in a European position if newco aren't in the league. That was the point, it wasn't about chances of next season compared to last season.

Maybe I'm missing something

we won't have any more or less chance than we do at the moment. that's not going to encourage any extra bodies to come to fir park.

we only need to look to the attendance at the st johnstone game to see lure of european qualification.

it was reduced entry and the final day of the season. i'd say our support was about the same as at the reduced entry hibs games.

why will a one horse race be any more appealing than a two horse race?

there's not going to be a greater chance of european football as we are about to slide down to 4 places rather than 5.

bigotry is not the dominant factor in scottish football.

You do not concede that there were more than 600 Arabs at the last mach of the season. OK, but you must be blind.

We'll have a better chance of finishing second or better and the Celtic will have their cosy dominance with their "oldest" (nothing of the sort) rivals cut to shreds with the 11-1 rule abolished.

Bigotry? It's your McEnroe moment - "You cannot be serious."

Can't agree with that, I thought it was as impartial as they could possibly make it. The only difference is that they can say with more certainty what the results will be of a 'yes' vote but I think any claims of weighting the documentation in that direction are very unfair.

It was impartial, but confusing in that everything is compared to last year, instead of to a realistic budget and failed to include longer term outlooks extending beyond one season........

and with the point being a simple yes no vote on newco being allowed,

they were not obliged to include the point that its looking entirely possible that even with a yes vote all the potential losses may still happen when Rangers are dealt with by the SFA, so the preparation had better be done either way, Guess that might have levelled folks decison who only think a no vote will bring the cuts when in actual fact a yes vote , along with Rangers punishment is a much worse scenario as potential losses from both scenarios hit home

I thought the loss of the extra c/l place just meant we would get an extra Europa place - for the time being anyway- although Im probably wrong.

when the points from 2007/08 - manchester, celtic making the last 16 of the CL and aberdeen getting through the group in the uefa cup - drop off next season our league ranking is going to drop to the mid 20s.

we will have a champs league spot and 3 europa places.

You do not concede that there were more than 600 Arabs at the last mach of the season. OK, but you must be blind.

i remember being at the game thinking that united's support was terrible for it being a reduced entry game. i also remember the east being so busy people were standing up the back and near enough every seat in the section i was in being used.

edit - 900 according to their website. so the financial equiavlent of a 250 travelling support.

when the points from 2007/08 - manchester, celtic making the last 16 of the CL and aberdeen getting through the group in the uefa cup - drop off next season our league ranking is going to drop to the mid 20s.

we will have a champs league spot and 3 europa places.

No it doesn't. It will be 18th. We will have 1 CL and 3 Europa places though - and will never drop below this amount.