Straight Question(S) To The Board Of Mfc Re. Sfl Proposal

Steve Diggle

we are facing a long term threat to the club at the moment. i've been told there will be a cash shortfall and that the begging bowl will be coming out to hit the support up for more money.

if we run out of money what is sporting integrity going to do for us?

I'm sure if Motherwell show integrity and do the right thing then they will have a queue of people lining up to help our club in it's hour of need.

Support this proposal and there will be a queue of people lining up for refunds on season tickets and Well Society memberships. That is something you continuously overlook. I can't understand anyone supporting a proposal that means we are admitting to a club that whatever they do in football they will not be held fully responsible for their actions.

But if you're happy for our club to sell our soul for 30 pieces of silver then batter in.

It's not threats its a choice each person makes. Maybe Flow should have chosen his words a little bit more wisely especially as he is the official spokesman for the club. He could have said people have 'chosen' not to renew rather than a provocative word like threats. No doubt he will be kicking himself a wee bit when he realises the context it could be taken especially at such a sensitive time with the club's director's position of being SPL panel members and 'the' document. (and its not a bloody criticism before the happy clappers go nuts on this site its an observation)

For me he has had plenty time to pick his words. I have been on this forum for a long time though not an avid poster however i feel mega spin here. I dont wish to upset his friends on this forum and i am truly grateful this forum is here to add an adjective point of view .

However i remember the time he asked searching questions himself, ratherthan being (i wont go any further to slate the guy) the mouthpiece that MFC want him to be.

Its his job what do i expect NOT A FANS VIEW

With us I'd say an extra 2 days :lol:. They'll keep counting in disbelief that it isn't the result that they had hoped for. whistling.gif

I wouldn't be surprised. :lol:

Seriously though, counting 700 ballots would take about half an hour. They could have counted the vast majority yesterday, added any that came in before the office shut last night, and went home yesterday evening knowing the exact result.

There is no reason not to announce the results today. And if it's in the form of a statement, there's no reason not to address the latest developments.

Well, on second thoughts, there would be a reason not to address the latest developments...

why would they give refunds?

They wouldn't I would think but it wouldn't stop people asking. It's good of you to dodge the other points though and latch on to this.

Although a few of the season tickets and well society memberships will be paid in installments and will be duly cancelled.

Firstly, this is 'Flow posting from the Official Club account on here as I don't have a personal one.

The real sad thing is opinions have now become some polarised, people post anything without fear of failure and the snowball effect beings.

I am going to try and answer a few points without wanting to go into a large debate. I know what I post here will be ripped and pulled a part, but it's the truth. If people want to believe it, great... If you don't want to believe it and think I am a part of a stitch up job involving the board and others running the club, then that's also fine. I would hope most that know me and know how I feel about the club and the fans, of which I am one, will know which one to be true.

1. First of all - to the point by 'Gilmour' I think it was, taking exception to a quote that was attributed to me. You will notice that it said some fans have threatened not to renew based on the outcome of the Rangers situation. Not all fans, some fans. That is true - if you search this thread, twitter, Facebook, Google+, email and other communications outlets, we have been subject to that threat constantly. That's absolutely people's right to do so - I've got no beef with that. I never said all fans or you personally. I did say to the reporter about the recession and people's diminishing ability to afford in tough financial times but that didn't make the cut.... There's not much I can do about that.

2. No statement has been released on the 'vote' because it has still to be independently verified which will happen on Monday. Turnout was very, very high and the club collated the last of the votes this morning after people hand delivered last night. The result is fairly clear but until we have it verified, it's only right and proper that we don't announce anything officially. To suggest that nothing has been announced because in some ways the club are scared of what the vote will say is pretty farfetched to say the least. Had the club been scared of the outcome, I doubt the board would have put it to the vote as it doesn't take a genius to work out what way it was likely to go.

3. I have also read suggestions that because Derek Weir is on the board of the SPL, he would have played some part in the document that was published by STV a few days ago. Well, to copy and paste a reply I added to FirParkCorner earlier:

I think it's worthwhile starting by saying that neither I or the club can comment or put out a statement for every media story or bit of speculation that may turn out in a newspaper or website - certainly not with deadlines that's for sure.

We would be here all day and it would take us away from the job of trying to improve the club in every area which is our main focus.

I can confirm no one from Motherwell Football Club had any input into the production of the document you linked and in fact had not seen it prior it to it being distributed. Furthermore, no one from the club has taken part in any discussion with anyone from the Scottish Football League.

Any discussions between the Scottish FA (SFA), Scottish Premier League (SPL) or Scottish Football League (SFL) would take place between the executives of each organisation. We, as a club, will not be a party to threatening any other club. Regardless of what league they may play in, each club is free to make their own decisions on any issue as they see fit.

4. Not addressing any particular point, but what I would say is this. Motherwell Football Club have tried to be as open, honest and as transparent as possible during this whole process. It's not easy - indeed, the consequences for our football club are pretty dire to be quite honest and I don't think the gravity of the situation has quite filtered its way down perhaps the way it should (and I speak generally on this whole subject). I take a great sense of pride as a supporter at the progress the club has made in the last four years both on and off the pitch. The ultimate sadness in all this mess for me is that a massive amount of that work is very likely to be threatened through no fault of our own. If/when Rangers FC are not permitted back into the SPL, then the very future (and that's not scaremongering, threatening or anything else - it's the truth) of the club in the short-term will be fully dependant on every single fan who holds Motherwell dear to their heart to really muck in. Dark and difficult times - but with the hope and positivity that at the other end, we can immerge stronger and fitter as a result.

Steelmen Forever

'Flow

• Like 8

I can confirm no one from Motherwell Football Club had any input into the production of the document you linked and in fact had not seen it prior it to it being distributed. Furthermore, no one from the club has taken part in any discussion with anyone from the Scottish Football League.

Any discussions between the Scottish FA (SFA), Scottish Premier League (SPL) or Scottish Football League (SFL) would take place between the executives of each organisation. We, as a club, will not be a party to threatening any other club. Regardless of what league they may play in, each club is free to make their own decisions on any issue as they see fit.

4. Not addressing any particular point, but what I would say is this. Motherwell Football Club have tried to be as open, honest and as transparent as possible during this whole process. It's not easy - indeed, the consequences for our football club are pretty dire to be quite honest and I don't think the gravity of the situation has quite filtered its way down perhaps the way it should (and I speak generally on this whole subject). I take a great sense of pride as a supporter at the progress the club has made in the last four years both on and off the pitch. The ultimate sadness in all this mess for me is that a massive amount of that work is very likely to be threatened through no fault of our own. If/when Rangers FC are not permitted back into the SPL, then the very future (and that's not scaremongering, threatening or anything else - it's the truth) of the club in the short-term will be fully dependant on every single fan who holds Motherwell dear to their heart to really muck in. Dark and difficult times - but with the hope and positivity that at the other end, we can immerge stronger and fitter as a result.

Steelmen Forever

'Flow

First of all I would like to commend you for taking the time to respond.

I am really concerned with your first sentence because Motherwell Football Club should be absolutely livid that a document such as this be distributed without their knowledge when it has a profound effect on our future. I find it deeply depressing that the SPL would put out such a damaging document without consulting their members. I believe Motherwell should be quick to distance themselves from it. I think that the Chief Executive of the SPL should now resign for participating in such a shady manner without consulting and seeking the approval of the member clubs. I can't believe that Motherwell didn't feel the need to comment on this.

I also disagree with the second part I have highlighted. In fact there is a thread on this very website where people realise they will have to pull together and are already thinking of ideas to help the club. I have no doubt that as a support we will rally round and help keep the club going.

thanks for the response 'Flow

its great that you saw fit to respond I really think some of it should be official as hell of a low of people are taking decisons which will have an affect on MFCs future

Firstly, this is 'Flow posting from the Official Club account on here as I don't have a personal one.

2. No statement has been released on the 'vote' because it has still to be independently verified which will happen on Monday. Turnout was very, very high and the club collated the last of the votes this morning after people hand delivered last night. The result is fairly clear but until we have it verified, it's only right and proper that we don't announce anything officially. To suggest that nothing has been announced because in some ways the club are scared of what the vote will say is pretty farfetched to say the least. Had the club been scared of the outcome, I doubt the board would have put it to the vote as it doesn't take a genius to work out what way it was likely to go.

very valid and well put, let the 'well society members know by posting update on the official site

3. I have also read suggestions that because Derek Weir is on the board of the SPL, he would have played some part in the document that was published by STV a few days ago. Well, to copy and paste a reply I added to FirParkCorner earlier:

I think it's worthwhile starting by saying that neither I or the club can comment or put out a statement for every media story or bit of speculation that may turn out in a newspaper or website - certainly not with deadlines that's for sure.

We would be here all day and it would take us away from the job of trying to improve the club in every area which is our main focus.

so many questions still remain on this, talk of a document but what about the proposals in it? does it mean that Doncaster and co are working even without the SPL's board let alone all the clubs? surely that makes their positions untenable?

its time for the SPL clubs to call him out and control their own destiny instead of letting him destroy what's left of their credibility

If/when Rangers FC are not permitted back into the SPL, then the very future...... of the club in the short-term will be fully dependant on every single fan who holds Motherwell dear to their heart to really muck in. Dark and difficult times - but with the hope and positivity that at the other end, we can immerge stronger and fitter as a result.

Steelmen Forever

'Flow

Keep the honest information coming and I'm sure many will step up

I also disagree with the second part I have highlighted. In fact there is a thread on this very website where people realise they will have to pull together and are already thinking of ideas to help the club. I have no doubt that as a support we will rally round and help keep the club going.

Not that I am speaking for Flow or the club but I think what he was getting at is the fans perhaps don't realise exactly how much extra money we are going to need and whilst the ideas mooted in the thread you mention are all good and helpful it will not, in itself, be enough to even coming close to plugging the hole. Just my interpretation.

Not that I am speaking for Flow or the club but I think what he was getting at is the fans perhaps don't realise exactly how much extra money we are going to need and whilst the ideas mooted in the thread you mention are all good and helpful it will not, in itself, be enough to even coming close to plugging the hole. Just my interpretation.

I take he point on board and I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is enough. I was looking to up my society to the £1000 quid level and I'm sure others were too. I'm quite happy to pay an extra few bob on my season ticket. I'm quite happy to pay in to games and leave my book at home. I will attend fundraisers etc. I'm sure others will too and it will all add up at the end of the day. The next 2 years is going to be tough a tough journey and I am not deluded to thinking it won't be. I feel the club will be best placed to fight this by doing the right thing and with the integrity of scottish football intact. That way the fans and the club will be united going forward rather than disillusioned fans walking away for ever. How will that help?

As above, really.

I personally can't commit to a solid payment scheme for a society membership, but would be perfectly fine with paying extra for season ticket, fundraiser attending, and even paying into some games here and there along the way. Hell, even some wee things that the club do for us could be taken away, to bring in more money, if the fans know it's for the right reason. Things like the first cup game being free.

I will be more than happy to start a monthly standing order to the club on top of any other ideas folk may have. If SKY turn into gets over a new contract then I will quite happily cancel my subscription and up my standing order. Maybe we will get our game back one day. If fund raising ideas have been mentioned elsewhere could somebody give me a heads up so I can see some of them.

I commend Flow on his response and I am pleased to see that this was as big a surprise to the motherwell board as it was to fans. That's the main point for me.

I think it's a fair point that the board do not need to respond to each and every thing that blows up in this fiasco.

The time has come for complete mutual trust between the fans and the board of MFC. The whole saga has been a breeding ground for paranoia and we now need to rise above that and have faith that the board of Motherwell FC will do right by the fans and similarly the board need to trust the fans to support the club troughout these challenging times.

'Mon the WELL!!!!!

Thanks for the statement Flow.

I'm happy to admit that I've changed my view a few times recently as different developments have occurred and more information has become available. Its clear to me now that Rangers should start life afresh in the 3rd division, not in the 1st. To date I've been more than happy with the way in which our own club has conducted itself. I'm not at all happy with the way certain parties within the SFA and SPL have behaved.

IF Rangers are "accepted" in the 3rd division then I'll pull out all the stops to help MFC. IF that scenario occurs then its time for we fans to put our money where our mouth is. With power comes responsibility.

Thanks for taking the time out to post Flow.

Your post is very much welcomed - however, I can't help but be concerned that Derek Weir had no input or knowledge about these proposals.

Obviously my first reaction is one of relief, assuming that's actually true. However, that then begs the question of who exactly is responsible for the SPL and these proposals if even the board members are being kept in the dark? And surely now the SPL clubs, and the SPL board, should be hunting this/these individual(s) from our national game as soon as possible!?

Thanks for taking the time out to post Flow.

Your post is very much welcomed - however, I can't help but be concerned that Derek Weir had no input or knowledge about these proposals.

Obviously my first reaction is one of relief, assuming that's actually true. However, that then begs the question of who exactly is responsible for the SPL and these proposals if even the board members are being kept in the dark? And surely now the SPL clubs, and the SPL board, should be hunting this/these individual(s) from our national game as soon as possible!?

SPL Structure from SPL link here

Here is a brief guide to how the SPL operates:

Company

The SPL Company has 12 shareholders who are made up of representatives from member clubs. The company meets every quarter to vote on various issues affecting the SPL. The Company ultimately determines the policy direction of the SPL.

Important issues such as, commercial contracts and broadcasting deals have to be approved by the company as do any major changes to the league format and approving or amending the rules and articles of the league.

SPL Board

Board members are elected annually by representatives of the 12 SPL clubs and meet monthly to discuss strategic issues. The Board's main responsibility is for corporate governance, strategic development, the delivery of the SPL objectives and the application of the SPL Rules.

The current SPL Board is made up of Ralph Topping (SPL Chairman), Neil Doncaster (SPL Chief Executive), Eric Riley (Celtic FC), Stephen Thompson (Dundee United FC), Derek Weir (Motherwell FC) and Steven Brown (St Johnstone FC).

Committees and Working Groups

Various Committees and Working Groups have been set up to look in detail at specific issues and report back to the Board with their recommendations. The Committees and Working Groups are made up by club representatives who provide guidance and support within their specific area of expertise. Specific working groups have been set up to cover areas such as fixturing, youth development and marketing.

Executive

The SPL's small team is based at Hampden Park and their role is to organise the league competition in the best interests of the member clubs. They work across a variety of disciplines to ensure that strategies passed down from the board are implemented throughout the league.

I'm staggered that the 'document' has not even been run past the SPL board in full, for a piece of strategic restructuring not to have been reviewed when it is so damaging to club relations not only with their fans but with their associate clubs, surely needs further investigation and Derek Weir himself should be publicly declaring he was never involved and calling for a public enquiry to expose the people that are destroying public relations in Scottish football

I have one or two things about Flow post, the first is the bit about the club not responding to every story...sorry but when the integrity of the club and those who run it are being questioned then they bloody well should be slapping down those suggestions asap. I think that comment is quite condescending but that's my own personal opinion.

Just to say thanks for posting, however again I feel that if the SPL have as you post, went ahead and issued this document without the rest of the SPL permission or knowledge then it is the club's DUTY to distance itself from the widespread condemnation of the document as most people know we have Motherwell Directors on the SPL board. We need to retain integrity and honesty.

As we know shite sticks so we need those running the club to make forthright statements regarding these documents and 'bits of speculation' that are not just posted by rags or rumour but are covered in mainstream tabloids and National TV programs and debated throughout the country. This is not rumour and bits of speculation this is the future of our game and this document showed none of that. With no one from the SPL/SFL or SFA commenting on the document and its contents and how it affects our club then we have to turn to the people who run our club. we need leadership and continual dialogue from our directors not silence.

Happy to hear we had nothing to do with that document and we can all breathe more easily. I am, as is my right, am holding off with any cash until this whole fiasco plays out. Not a threat but protecting my rights to watch my team play in a league where they have a chance of winning something because all the rules are being obeyed by all clubs. If there is a stitch up then I can walk away and invest my hard earned elsewhere.

• Like 1