Derek Weir

underboyleheating

Official site

The club has been advised by Derek Weir that he will be stepping down from the role of Vice Chairman.

Over the past two years Derek has dedicated a significant amount of his personal time to working on club issues and representing the club on the SPL board.

As a result of the number of extremely difficult and complex issues currently facing the game, Derek feels he is no longer able to make the time commitment required to properly fulfill the role at the club and that he needs to refocus on his other business and family matters.

He has also advised the Executive of the SPL that he will not be seeking re-election to the Board at the AGM on July 16th.

Derek has agreed to remain a Director of Motherwell FC and will continue to assist the Chief Executive and other Board members in what is an extremely difficult period for the club.

We would like to thank Derek for the significant contribution he has made to the club in his role as Vice Chairman during the past two years.

And he decides to do that the day before voting on arguably the single biggest issue voted on in Scottish footballs modern history? Doubt it.

Agreed it's obviously something to do with the current situation but I think jumping to conclusions or fearing the worst isn't really needed at the moment.

Whether we're going to drop into oblivion in three years time or we're going to break into a great new dawn in three years time - everyone knows that the next couple of seasons are going to be a lot of hard work and effort regardless. If Derek Weir doesn't feel he has the time to dedicate to that then that's perfectly fair enough without any need to assume it's anything more.

• Like 1

Sounds like he fears we're seriously fucked

Or he is pissed off that the SPL made their 'offer' to the SFL without the board being involved.

Or, he really doesn't have time to commit to the fallout after the No vote is confirmed.

etc. etc.

• Like 1

And he decides to do that the day before voting on arguably the single biggest issue voted on in Scottish footballs modern history? Doubt it.

The truth will come out eventually. I'm not panicking....yet.

I guess it's easy to make assumptions to what's happening. I know alarm bells were ringing for me when we didn't initially distance ourselves from that document. But, as you say Frazzle, the truth will come out.

Slightly worrying developments but lets wait for further information.

Maybe for your team but I don't foresee any immediate concerns for Motherwell given he has only resigned his position and is still on the board.

Come on, if you're going to make snide, uncalled for remarks then at least attempt to make them a bit original.

Amazing how some folk just can't resist turning the thread round to their insecurities about Rangers - God rest their soul -, even when the thread is discussing what is quite a big issue for our own club.

I find it slightly worrying that our vice chairman has stepped down, at this time, and especially just after the board has threatned that we could be forced into administration in the near future as a result of the loss of Rangers to the SPL and I'm sure I'm not the only one either. Now who knows, maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but until I know that this is nothing then I'm going to have a bit of concern about this.

Sounds like he's mibbe at odds with his personal position in all this and his vice chair and SPL board stance / preference could be at odds with the society vote. Feels the decent thing to do is step back.

Who knows?

Edit to add - definitely leaves more questions than answers tho.

Sounds like he's mibbe at odds with his personal position in all this and his vice chair and SPL board stance / preference could be at odds with the society vote. Feels the decent thing to do is step back.

Who knows?

Edit to add - definitely leaves more questions than answers tho.

Only if you don't believe the club statement.

Personally I think it is a non-story. If he was pissed off or scared of been found out of telling porkies he would have completely walked, if he was pissed off about the statement he would probably have said to turn the story off him therefore I believe the statement 100%. And it is not unusual for SPL board members to not seek re-election it happens every year. Could also be Dempster has someone else she wants in post and she has twisted the arm (not that I think that for a second just saying).

Personally I think it is a non-story. If he was pissed off or scared of been found out of telling porkies he would have completely walked, if he was pissed off about the statement he would probably have said to turn the story off him therefore I believe the statement 100%. And it is not unusual for SPL board members to not seek re-election it happens every year.

Spot on.

Oh, no, I mean fuck, we're doomed.