Commercial Partners Threat To Scottish Football

Brazilian

Good thread started over on P&B about maybe getting BT interested in a TV deal of sorts.

Suppose if we're thinking of boycotting Sky should they pull out then we could use our potential business to BT (or Virgin for that matter) to make them think about plugging the gap.

Imagine if a couple of hundred thousand football fans who were Sky customers said they would all switch to BT or Virgin

Would Sky feel threatened enough to negotiate a fair deal and would BT/Virgin see enough earning potential to consider making a bid

Fan power and all that and someone to start a facebook page perhaps ??

I can see how my conversation with Sky will go.

Me: I wish to cancel my subscription with you.

Sky : Why is that Mr Rooney?

Me: Well the company that you work for are endangering the life of the club I love by pulling out of a previously agreed deal because Sporting Integrity prevailed over finance. Many other fans of other clubs will follow suit because they feel the same.

Sky: Well Mr Rooney considering you only joined Sky in February and you signed a contract for 12 months then I'd say you're in breach of contract.

Me : (holding back my giggles) Aye well SKY promised me.................in fact do you get the irony in what you just said there? My direct debit will be cancelled immediately after this call and your equipment will be outside the front door.....

• Like 1

Cos Sky don't still get loads of money from Virgin?

never thought of that, I was just thinking of virgin without Sky Sports. Well freeview then.

Is there not other ways of getting sky programming free so that Kirky's Mrs can get all that reality stuff for free and right on to her laptop/computer ? ph34r.gif

Have sky made a statement?

I will be cancelling as soon as they pull out/renegotiate terms.

This......

I wont cancel yet as SKY will likely pull out if that is what is happening.

But the NANOsecond I hear they are re-negotiating or pulling out. Goodbye Sky and will increase Well Society membership partly subsidised by my annual SKY subscription....

The way I read it was that this seasons coverage is not the issue, it's next season when sky may pull out. Hence the 'rainjurs in div 1' scenario, they'd be promoted in time to save the tv deal - our heroes!

The way I read it was that this seasons coverage is not the issue, it's next season when sky may pull out. Hence the 'rainjurs in div 1' scenario, they'd be promoted in time to save the tv deal - our heroes!

there were some minutes or notes from the sfl meeting posted online that said if rangers were in div 1 the contracts would stay the same but if they went to div 3 it would be a 75% reduction for next year.

there were some minutes or notes from the sfl meeting posted online that said if rangers were in div 1 the contracts would stay the same but if they went to div 3 it would be a 75% reduction for next year.

That being the case I am sure they will be happy to reduce our annual subs by 75%......

Come on BT - you know it makes sense. That said BT cannot do anything until Sky make their move....

I may be wrong. Is this years deal not safe? Is it not unsigned future tv deal which would get reduced. If that is the case the spl should just put next years rights out to tender.

There 4 OF games clause allows Sky to renegotiate the 2012/13 deal. Strong suggestion that the offer on the table is £3mil.

So, just so's I'm clear, are we all cancelling SKY or are we just cancelling SKY SPORTS...?!

'Cause my misses will go nuts if I tell her she disnae get to see her Kardashians and the rest of that reality TV shite!!!

:ph34r:

Bearing in mind I've been a full package customer for 20yrs, (and SKY home phone/wi-fi for a yr), I phoned up to cancel SKY Sports. When I was asked why I told them that it was due to speculation that they were to reduce their contribution to SPL, and that if at future date that comes to fruition I would be cancelling my whole package .............. over £80 a month currently.

I was told that nothing had been confirmed yet, (but they had received many similar calls), and that due to my loyalty they would give me SKY Sports free for 3 months, in the hope that I wished to reconsider.

I reiterated my intention to 'bin' them if they 'bin' us, and asked them to note it on my account and pass this info up the line.

I'm with Virgin but 100% will canx my sky sports and sky movies in the event of them pulling the plug or reducing terms. Maybe a touch futile but as mentioned those savings will go direct to MFC in one form or another.

I would like to see an estimate loss in figures for sky if this is the case. If for example 10000 homes canx at an average of £50 per home a month, £500k a month, £6m a year loss for sky. But as Pie said earlier he and many others pay so much more. This would surely be a big enough hit to their profits that it makes some semblance of a stance.

• Like 1

I may be wrong. Is this years deal not safe? Is it not unsigned future tv deal which would get reduced. If that is the case the spl should just put next years rights out to tender.

There have been so many lies and spin it's difficult to tell.

I thought they had a year (or two) left on their deal. They renegotiated to extend the deal and as such, increased the amount by about £3 million per year. Now that new deal is in doubt. So does the 'orignal' one remain?

One fact is Doncaster and the rest have, for the past few weeks, told everyone that Newco are vital and without them Scottish footbal is cack.

What he should have been saying is 'Rangers (I know) are in the 3rd, it'll never happen again what an great opportunity for something unique, what with this new league structure and play offs, everyones talking about Scottish football. Come on and buy us up"

And for that alone he should be punted.

And don't even mention

(1) "we need a 10 team SPL or we'll lose millions."

(2) "come on, vote them in, we'll give you 16 team league; don't and we'll lose millions"

GITS.

STV and BBC combined could pay more than £3m if thats what they were negotiating for

A proper highlights programme on BBC on a Saturday night would be great. None of this blink and you miss it nonsense that they give us just now. Maybe a live game on a Sunday.