Your Expectations For The Coming Season

David

I'm hoping that yesterdays result won't cause any kneejerk posts in this thread. Basically, what are your expectations going into the new season?

Despite the whole Rangers/doomsday carry-on we've seen over the close season I can honestly say that my expectations are the same as always.

I think we should be looking at cementing a top six place in the league. Anything above that is a bonus.

I also hope to get a decent run in one of the domestic cups. By that I mean maybe a quarter final or something.

As far as Europe goes, I have no real expectations there apart from the players giving 100% and giving us something to cheer about at some point.

• Like 1

Can't really see much else than bottom 6 really due to not replacing players, what happens after a couple of injuries and suspensions, i really think we will have a poor season, the likes of Aberdeen, st Johnstone, Killie and Hibs have added/ improved there squad I just can't see how we can compete. Hope I'm wrong but just saying how I see it. IMO we need a centre half, right back and solid midfielder but don't think we will get any.

Can't really see much else than bottom 6 really due to not replacing players, what happens after a couple of injuries and suspensions, i really think we will have a poor season, the likes of Aberdeen, st Johnstone, Killie and Hibs have added/ improved there squad I just can't see how we can compete. Hope I'm wrong but just saying how I see it. IMO we need a centre half, right back and solid midfielder but don't think we will get any.

I used to get this way too, other teams sign players while Motherwell appear to be sitting on their arse,but at the end of the day no one is signing anything spectacular and we might pick up a loanee or two

I'd disagree that most clubs have strengthened... Maybe St. Johnstone.

That said losing Jenno is a big loss for us and does make me think this will be a much more difficult campaign.

I'm hopefull we can push for Euro spots but don't expect anything more than avioding a relegation dogfight.

Cup run would be nice too.

Hard one to call this year, we don't really know what financial state half the clubs (including ours) will really be in come Christmas, let alone at the end of the season. So although most folk say it most years whilst probably secretly expecting a bit more, I suspect most people really will be happy with "avoid relegation and hope to do well in a cup" this year.

What we manage to achieve off the field in terms of keeping the clubs coffers topped up will probably be more important than what we manage on it.

• Like 1

Such pessimism - top three for sure!

Thought we'd lose way more than we have so far. Murph, law, higgy, humph and oj give us pace, options and firepower galore, think we'll remain the most dangerous team bar celtic if we can keep these players.

Jennings is a loss but something will work out he was a pretty one dimentional midfielder who never scored and took til november to get fit. Clancy not in saunders class.

We are miles from celtic but who else should we fear?

• Like 1

According the the tabloids administration, relegation and liquidation in that order.cray.gif

If we get relegated we know that the SFL must be allowed to vote us into either the Division 1 or 3 though.

There has been a precedent set for that now thumbup.gif

(I know we'd still get the the Third, if we were allowed to get that far through the election process)

I don't think anyone should really be worrying about relegation this season, it should just be a case of aiming as far up the league as possible.

I have been a little disappointed with remarks coming from Celtic about the likes of St Johnstone, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Aberdeen challenging for 2nd and no mention of us.

However having lost Craggs and Jennings and not being able to replace them I can see why we may not be looked on in that ilk.

I think we'll look at selling maybe 2 players during this window. One to help offset the costs of Sevco not being in the SPL and the other to give a bit of leeway to replacing them and bolstering the squad. I do admit though that there might also be a third needed.

As long as we finish the season that's all I care about at this minute. I am not bothered if we do finish 11th or 12th. The higher the better obviously but the survival of the Club comes first.

It's a Brave New World in the SPL, lets pray now all the clubs that are left in it, including Killie, pull through and show how competitive the League can be out with Celtic. It could be that we get a club do a Motherwell from last season and push them for a bit.

All SPL clubs are in the same situation in terms of TV revenue and all that, so I'd say that we don't desperately need new players as financial safety is job one. I can see a couple of teams being on the verge of administration with the number of signings they have made. So that being said, maybe 3rd or 4th is a possibility this season; I'd say thr 4 games in Europe is all we can hope for.

Administration, Liquidation and a quick call to D&P to get them to "do a Rangers" for us and we'll be sorted in the new Scottish/English/European/North Atlantic Super League sponsored by Sky TV Money.

A new name "The Motherwell" and a Billion dollar overdraft.

Anyway that sums up the Sunday papers, In reality a safe bottom 6 finish a decent run in both cups as we can only be draw against Celtic in the 1/4 finals or semi final stage (Assuming of course that Sevco can actually get a team together and fulfill their fixtures.) yes.gif

Like every season I look to not be involved in a relegation dogfight and this season is no different. There are so many variables to consider this season though.

We've lost important players every summer for as long as I can remember, but the loss if Jennings gives me the fear like never before! Our squad has absolutely no depth and the absence of Lasley or Hutchison could be costly.

The importance of a good start cannot be underestimated and on paper we have an opportunity to get that so I may re assess my views after the first 6 or 7 games.

Top six and decent cup run! Think we are def better than the bottom 3-4! Any team this year u can take to players out through injury and they would struggle badly if we lost hutch and lasley we will suffer but were not the only one!

In europe really hope we get a home CL game with a chance for a win so we can get a massive atmosphere! Then same again in Europa!

• Like 1

Before the start of any season, my first hope is that we avoid relegation and I think we can do that, but only after a bit of a battle with the likes of Inverness, Ross County and possibly St.Mirren. I say it every year as some are only too glad to point out but I do expect a struggle in the SPL for us this season as the small squad, combined with financial cut backs will mean that we will be unable to strengthen the squad. As for the Cup competitions, the Champions League will be a great experience for us and I only hope we give a good account of ourselves, while I fully expect us to do nothing in either of the domestic cups with early exits in both.

I predict that we will finish 11th.

Long gone are the days of having any expectations. Following Motherwell for over 40 years has been a rollercoaster ride worthy of a place in any top ranking funpark.

The last decade has been incredible, so many nails bitten and so much hair lost, yet 2 Cup Finals, 7 european ties and a Champions League tie in 2 weeks. The furthest thing from my mind when trailing round the First Div in the early 80's

With Motherwell, expect the unexpected :nod:

Only expectation is that we'll have 4 european games and that the club will exist this time next year, what state we and the rest of the Scottish game will be in is anyones guess.

If Scottish football pulls together there is no reason is shouldn't be in better health than it is now but when we have likes of Regan and Doncaster, panic merchants like St.Mirren and ICT you and no doubt Celtic looking to keep balance of power as much in their favour as they can it hard to really believe it will be the case.

SPL board meeting should be looking at pooling resources and minimising damage of potential commercial/TV revenue shortfall. Scottish football is never going to command EPL/La Liga type audience or TV deal but it would seem short sighted of SKY/ESPN to just bale out when the golden goose that is Rangers will no doubt return. They should be looking long term.