Your Expectations For The Coming Season

David

Before the start of any season, my first hope is that we avoid relegation and I think we can do that, but only after a bit of a battle with the likes of Inverness, Ross County and possibly St.Mirren. I say it every year as some are only too glad to point out but I do expect a struggle in the SPL for us this season as the small squad, combined with financial cut backs will mean that we will be unable to strengthen the squad. As for the Cup competitions, the Champions League will be a great experience for us and I only hope we give a good account of ourselves, while I fully expect us to do nothing in either of the domestic cups with early exits in both.

I predict that we will finish 11th.

Looks like we'll do well then. evilgrin.gif

Minimum of..

1st or 2nd in SPL

Group stages of CL or Knock-out stages of EL

Win a cup

nah but it's fairly scary to think with a wee bit luck(okay alot) those goals are not impossible :laugh:

but I'd be happy with top six a nice cup run anything else is a plus! can't wait for the European ties though and hopefully there are a few of them! :popcorn:

Before the start of any season, my first hope is that we avoid relegation and I think we can do that, but only after a bit of a battle with the likes of Inverness, Ross County and possibly St.Mirren. I say it every year as some are only too glad to point out but I do expect a struggle in the SPL for us this season as the small squad, combined with financial cut backs will mean that we will be unable to strengthen the squad. As for the Cup competitions, the Champions League will be a great experience for us and I only hope we give a good account of ourselves, while I fully expect us to do nothing in either of the domestic cups with early exits in both.

I predict that we will finish 11th.

Try taking into account that all of the SPL clubs will face financial cutbacks, that we are in European competitions, that all will have smaller squads and that we are the best run club in the SPL. Still think 11th? C'mon the 'Well :woop:

I always find it hard to make predictions like these. Difficult to know where you stand in relation to other sides until you've played a few games.

Current perceptions are that we've slipped back a little with the departures we've seen, but we're hardly alone in that. There are one or two who seem to have made some progress - although you could argue Hibs couldn't really go any further backwards and Aberdeen to a lesser extent.

It's a tight enough league as it is but I sense an even greater bunching up of teams in the middle than normal. That being the case I just hope we can replicate our ability to eek out results against non-Old Firm sides which was the basis on which last season was built.

Whether its Dunfermline or Dundee I can only see them struggling so I don't so foresee a relegation battle. But outwith that? Could be anything from 2nd to about 7th or 8th.

As ever on top of that good runs in the Cup would be most welcome.

Champions League/Europa League? The cherry on the icing on the cake.

This is going to be a really tough season for us. Losing Jennings will impact and i fully expect to lose at least 2 more as finances dictate making it a necessity. So i expect a bottom half finish and 2 games in Champs League and maybe quarters in both cups. An improvement on our dismal opening friendly would be nice but i suspect more humpings will be coming our way this season. Fasten your seatbelts folks. <_>

this season following the 'well - like most others - I expect at times to be

delighted :thumbup:

frustrated :wallbash:

partying :party:

annoyed :angry:

happy :D

pissed off :doh:

kicking something about the house - not the wife and kids ;)

drunk some sats.:drinks:

but above all - over the fucking moon that I'm a Motherwell fan! :yahoo:

Roll on the new season :sungum:

• Like 2

Comparing our current squad with last season's is irrelevant. The issue is how our current squad compares to the other teams in the SPL.

Certainly few teams appear to have strengthened over the summer. Aberdeen have signed players like Hayes but have lost a few talented youngsters. Hearts have lost some bigger names. ICT are definitely weaker. The list goes on.

Pretty much all clubs, apart from Celtic obviously, have very thin squads now. Injuries to three or four key players could see any team, including us, face a relegation battle.

Assuming every player at every club stays fit, I'd see us being mid-table - below teams like Dundee United but above teams like ICT. Of course, injuries will happen, so I'll just sit back and expect the unexpected.

It's hard to tell at this stage.

The squad is very small and we have lost some quality players. I suspect others will go before or just after the start of the season, specifically Randolph and/or Murphy.

I think how we will do will come down to the young players. It's inevitable guys like McHugh, Page and Carswell are going to have to step up to the plate this season instead of being bit part players and we will probably need a couple of others to come in from the U19's and show they are good enough to play at the top level.

If either of these groups aren't up to the task then I seriously doubt we will be Top 6 challengers and it could even be a bit of a struggle.

Right now I don't know what the answer to those questions will be.

I'll take survival now - I don't mean based on performance as i think we'll be clear of the relegation place(s) but just survival as a club would do.

A lot will be needed from young guys and possibly not just the ones we have seen already maybe even the ones coming up from the 19's.

I think we 'need' movement out before the end of August but not sure who will go... Randolph, Murphy & Humphrey seem the most valued but usuall clubs move keepers early on so that they can settle with a new defense so not sure Randy will go. Possibly Murphy & Humphrey to move but who knows might also see Law, Ojamma & Hutch move?

Real test for McCall as manager and will be real test for youngsters, but if we do survive and the youngsters do well we could see real benefit in 2/3 seasons time.

Anything above 11th and i'll be happy.

this season will be the usual rollercoaster ride that we get every season . Some highs , lots of Lows and a champions league qualifier to boot.

As long as the press are wrong and we stay clear of admin then its all good

No danger of a relegation battle. Ross County have Micheal Fraser in goal, Marc Fitzpatrick at left back & Stevie Craig as one of their striking options. Along with proven SPL shite like Ross Tokely, Martin Scott, Marc Corcaran & their top scorer last season was Colin Mcmenamin. And worse still Dundee have Kevin McBride at the heart of their midfield. Along with other shite.

We still have some of the best attacking options in the league and as things stand we still have one of the best starting 11's. We may be weaker but so are most teams, Aberdeen are the only team in my opinion who are stronger than last season. If we stay injury free we will be up in the fight for Europe in my opinion, however a few injuries in key areas(paticularly Hutch if Saturday's anything to go by) then we could struggle for top 6 but will still be clear of the relegation fight. Even if we do get a few injuries at least some of the young lads will get some first team experience which will be vital as they'll be making up most of the first team the following season.

Of course plenty can happen in the coming weeks, but as things stand I think we'll be top six and hopefully a decent run in a cup. Although with the state of Scottish football I'll take some of the youngsters getting blooded, a safe mid table position & the club staying out of trouble.

Can't wait for the Champions League game and the trip up to Dingwall. Glad this farce is almost over and we can get back to the fitba!

The squad was pretty threadbare last season and I think McCall and the team did incredibly well, over-achieving in many aspects.

Removing the bite of Jennings in midfield and the experience of Craigan at the back leaves gaps that cannot be filled with our budget.

That said, Ojamma with a full pre-season behind him and keeping the team injury free, top 6 and a cup run would be incredible.

Personally, I doubt we will enjoy just as good a season as last year but you never know. All teams in the league will be cutting their cloth accordingly and resulting from that I can see Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts having a clearly bigger budget than us- although all three did last year and were nowhere near us.

Outside of Celtic, from what I know of each team's current squad, I reckon only Dundee United could arguably have better attacking options than us. With the talk of all the panic having Higdon, Murphy and Ojamaa (38 goals between them last season) still to choose from is good, as well as having McHugh and Daley (who has shown once or twice he can be a threat if he's arsed) from the sidelines.

Jennings will be a big miss and I don't think any other central midfielder in our current squad can offer us what he did but I think every other club will be losing at least one player of his calibre, Hearts have already lost Black, Skacel and Beattie among others, Hibs have lost O'Connor, Aberdeen have lost Arnason, St. Johnstone have lost Morris and Sandaza, you could go on. I think in light of that Jennings' departure won't be noticed just as much.

It's rare that a team is the "best of the rest" two years running and I doubt we will be that far up the table but I do fully expect us to be challenging for the top six, with the potential to fall a bit short if we are badly hit with injuries (See 2008/09)

Due to their stadium, Ross County's budget was already going to be severely restricted and I doubt Dundee will be able to gather a squad in little over three weeks that would be better than us over the course of a season, so I think talk of relegation is perhaps a bit dramatic.

• Like 1