Motherwell Vs Panathinaikos

Al B

Now that Ramsden has signed I am going to have a go at a formation for next Tuesday. I think that McCall will go defensive, even at home and will be thinking in terms of keeping things respectable so i predict he will go with

---------------------- Randolph------------------------

Hateley---Hutchison-------Page-----------Hammell

-----------------------Ramsden---------------------------

Humphrey-----Law-------------Lasley-------- Murphy

-----------------------Higdon-------------------------------

This assumes that the Central defenders are fit.

--------------------------Randolph

Saunders----Hutchinson---Ramsden----Hammell

---------------------------Hateley

Humphrey-----Lasley--------Law----- ---Murphy

--------------------------Higdon

Knowing McCall, this is how I think we'll line up. If at the end of the night the scoreboard reads "Panathinaikos 0" it will be a job well done in the first leg.

Actually think that McCall might go slightly more attacking in the first leg. Having seen us boss the game at Ibrox second last day of the season with two up front, he might think the best way to guarantee 'Panathinaikos 0' is to keep the ball in their half as much as possible.

I'm expecting the same starting eleven as against Everton with Hutchinson in for Cummins if he's fit.

Now that Ramsden has signed I am going to have a go at a formation for next Tuesday. I think that McCall will go defensive, even at home and will be thinking in terms of keeping things respectable so i predict he will go with

---------------------- Randolph------------------------

Hateley---Hutchison-------Page-----------Hammell

-----------------------Ramsden---------------------------

Humphrey-----Law-------------Lasley-------- Murphy

-----------------------Higdon-------------------------------

This assumes that the Central defenders are fit.

nope he will start same team as saturday, with hutch in middle in place of cummins....Have we got kerr on a loan deal yet?

2 up top and a 3-1 win at home for us :yahoo:

• Like 1

Actually think that McCall might go slightly more attacking in the first leg. Having seen us boss the game at Ibrox second last day of the season with two up front, he might think the best way to guarantee 'Panathinaikos 0' is to keep the ball in their half as much as possible.

I'm expecting the same starting eleven as against Everton with Hutchinson in for Cummins if he's fit.

nope he will start same team as saturday, with hutch in middle in place of cummins....Have we got kerr on a loan deal yet?

2 up top and a 3-1 win at home for us :yahoo:

I think people are putting too much emphasis on how well we done against an Everton team who never got out of first gear. Playing what is essentially almost a 4-2-4 with two frontmen and two wingers will leave us far too open in my opinion and the Greeks will pick us off. I wouldn't want us playing that way against some of the better teams in the SPL never mind Panathanaikos. Everton weren't anywhere near 100% on Saturday and on another day could have had 3 or 4. Bare in mind if we lose one away goal that's bad enough, anymore than that and the second leg becomes almost impossible. It will be hard enough to get a result in Greece without them having an away goal or two in the bank.

Of course I'd love us to go to Greece in the lead but not at the expense of losing an away goal, a 0-0 at Fir Park would be not be a bad result and it only takes a Tom Hateley special in Greece to put us in the driving seat.

I think people are putting too much emphasis on how well we done against an Everton team who never got out of first gear. Playing what is essentially almost a 4-2-4 with two frontmen and two wingers will leave us far too open in my opinion and the Greeks will pick us off. I wouldn't want us playing that way against some of the better teams in the SPL never mind Panathanaikos. Everton weren't anywhere near 100% on Saturday and on another day could have had 3 or 4. Bare in mind if we lose one away goal that's bad enough, anymore than that and the second leg becomes almost impossible. It will be hard enough to get a result in Greece without them having an away goal or two in the bank.

Of course I'd love us to go to Greece in the lead but not at the expense of losing an away goal, a 0-0 at Fir Park would be not be a bad result and it only takes a Tom Hateley special in Greece to put us in the driving seat.

not getting carried away mate but I think we have most of our problems at the back...so if we keep them, mostly in their own half, a big ask i know, we will have a better chance of keeping the tie alive imo

and i also think its our best team

not getting carried away mate but I think we have most of our problems at the back...so if we keep them, mostly in their own half, a big ask i know, we will have a better chance of keeping the tie alive imo

and i also think its our best team

I understand what you're saying but we played this formation(the one I suggested) against Odense and to me it was the one of our best performances in Europe, created half a dozen good chances and only conceeded due to sloppy defending at a set piece. On another night if we just took one of those early chances we would have went through. I just feel with three in the middle of the park it offers more protection to the defence and still allows us to impose ourselves on the game in an attacking sense.

---------------------------Higdon

--------------------------Ojamaa

Murphy--------------------------------------------- Hump

-----------------------Law----------- Las

Hammell --------Hutch -------Ramsden ------------Hatley

-----------------------------Hollis

I'd stick hollis in cause he'd play amazing knowing it would possible secure the #1 jersey

Would pick Ramsden over page, Saunders etc just simple down to i think he would complement las and law better

Pace on the wings to peg back there full backs so they can't support the attacks

Ojamaa to link everything up from the middle playing behind higdon and linking up with the midfield and wings

Higdon to bang them in/hold up play and just get stuck right in

What we can do is take heart from Dudelange of Luxembourg who have knocked out RB Salzburg over two legs tonight.

I mean the gulf in class between ourselves and Pana is probably comparable with the gulf between the Dudelange and the Austrians. Perhaps a bit harsh on ourselves, perhaps we are closer in quality to Pana than what Dudelange would have been to Salzburg. But, either way - they have shown us how it can be achieved.

They attained 1-0 victory at home, again showing how vital it is to keep a clean-sheet at home. They managed to secure a goal in the process to give themselves hope for the away leg. And took the lead in Austria giving them a priceless away goal, meaning Salzburg had to open up and score at least three times, meaning the minnows could hit them on the break. As such it finished 4-3 to Salzburg and the minnows going through on away goals.

Just shows that upsets, as we know, can and do happen.

Believe.

---------------------------Higdon

--------------------------Ojamaa

Murphy--------------------------------------------- Hump

-----------------------Law----------- Las

Hammell --------Hutch -------Ramsden ------------Hatley

-----------------------------Hollis

I'd stick hollis in cause he'd play amazing knowing it would possible secure the #1 jersey

Great idea. I'd also drop Stevie Hammell for Zane Francis Angol & Lasley for Hetherington, cos they'd play pure amazing too knowing they could secure first team spots...

• Like 2

I understand what you're saying but we played this formation(the one I suggested) against Odense and to me it was the one of our best performances in Europe, created half a dozen good chances and only conceeded due to sloppy defending at a set piece. On another night if we just took one of those early chances we would have went through. I just feel with three in the middle of the park it offers more protection to the defence and still allows us to impose ourselves on the game in an attacking sense.

sutton, murphy, blackman and humphrey all started at home against odense. we only had two centre mids, las and hateley.

you are right that we made plenty of chances and that's why murphy, henrik, higdon and humphrey should all start with las and law in the middle.

• Like 1

sutton, murphy, blackman and humphrey all started at home against odense. we only had two centre mids, las and hateley.

you are right that we made plenty of chances and that's why murphy, henrik, higdon and humphrey should all start with las and law in the middle.

I forgot Jennings was suspended, kind of makes my point invalid. Still wouldn't start all 4 though.