Motherwell Vs Panathinaikos

Al B

Did anyone think they were so great we coulnt have them away?

They weren't that great but unfortunately they were too strong for us so the tie is over

We just don't have the firepower to go over there and score at least two without reply to take it to extra time and we certainly aren't capable of getting a clean sheet over there.

We tried, huffed and puffed, few shots on goal but had a feeling they could have upped a few gears if they needed it. Not disgraced but an early exit and hope we get a kind draw in the Europa. Dream on for those who think we even have a slight chance over there. Not in a month of sundays and thats realistic not pipe dreams.

Overall a good performance and we didn't deserve to lose but the game hinged on two near identical situations.

Ojamaa caught Panathinaikos on the break drew the defenders towards them and then had the choice to slip in Murphy who was through and clear. He choose to hold on to the ball and try to score himself wasting a glorious opportunity.

Then Sissoko caught us on the break drew the defenders towards him and then had the choice to play in Mavrias who was through and clear. He choose to play the ball to Mavrias who scored.

And that's the difference between losing and drawing, maybe even going on to win the tie.

There were some excellent performances - Hutchinson, Murphy, Hateley but Lasley was absolutely immense. On tonights performance we would beat most of the teams in the SPL you suspect so it was encouraging in one way but it was also very disappointing to play like that and not get a positive result.

Now the bad bit. The atmosphere was superb tonight but there was no need to throw paper balls at opposition players - most likely we will get a warning and fine from UEFA since they gave German fans one for exactly the same thing. And unfortunately there was one individual who still lives in the 1970's who was shouting racist abuse at Sissoko.

Surely we won't get fined for a couple of crumpled up pieces of paper getting thrown at players? Considering the bigotry, racism and violence that goes on elsewhere I'd hope UEFA would have bigger fish to fry.

PAO were good but I thought they would have been better. That first goal is the third one since 2008. Nancy home, Odense away, now PAO at home.

Some of our players looked out of their depth but some held their own. I'd need to agree with Crags, I thought Law was our best player.

Tie is over. No question at all. Even talk of using some youngsters in the game next week. I'm not sure about that as I'd start with my strongest team and start using subs the minute they score. Next week is a chance for the players to get another 90 mins under their belts and experience for EL, nothing more.

Higdon had a great game IMO. We were just short of luck today but I believe we can give it another good go in Athens

I thought he had a decent game but he needs someone to play off and unfortunately I thought Ojamaa was quite poor tonight and never got into the game.

Same old European tale, even in the manner we lost the first goal. We had them rattled in the 2nd half but it was always likely we would lose one of the break.

Players done us proud but we were just a couple short of what was required, as you would expect going into a CL tie.

Lasley was awesome, Fir Park was rocking at times.

Hopefully we can give them a wee fright in Athens and have ourselves well prepared for the Europa.

Overall a good performance and we didn't deserve to lose but the game hinged on two near identical situations.

Ojamaa caught Panathinaikos on the break drew the defenders towards them and then had the choice to slip in Murphy who was through and clear. He choose to hold on to the ball and try to score himself wasting a glorious opportunity.

Then Sissoko caught us on the break drew the defenders towards him and then had the choice to play in Mavrias who was through and clear. He choose to play the ball to Mavrias who scored.

And that's the difference between losing and drawing, maybe even going on to win the tie.

Spot on. Ojamaa brings a lot of good things to our team. However, when clear-cut opportunities were at a minimum, his lack of awareness (or more likely sheer greed) was very costly tonight.

We certainly weren't disgraced tonight. However, it's not luck that meant we didn't get a result tonight. They were clinical; we weren't.

PAO were good but I thought they would have been better. That first goal is the third one since 2008. Nancy home, Odense away, now PAO at home.

Some of our players looked out of their depth but some held their own. I'd need to agree with Crags, I thought Law was our best player.

Tie is over. No question at all. Even talk of using some youngsters in the game next week. I'm not sure about that as I'd start with my strongest team and start using subs the minute they score. Next week is a chance for the players to get another 90 mins under their belts and experience for EL, nothing more.

Agree with nearly all of that Finlay, but a bit harsh to say some were out their depth. Definitely all over bar the shouting, but they're will be plenty of that in Athens!

Keith Lasley is a fucking hero, played out his skin. Apart from that I agree with most other posts. We just lacked the killer touch to take our chances

I'm having to convince myself a miracle could happen in Athens seeing as I've just shelled a few hundred to go..

Agree with nearly all of that Finlay, but a bit harsh to say some were out their depth. Definitely all over bar the shouting, but they're will be plenty of that in Athens!

Harsh? I don't think so at all. That's why they beat us. Some of their players were a good bit better than some of ours. Some of ours matched theirs. Very similar when we come up against Celtic and when we used to come up against Rangers.

there was a few good displays, good team effort, some mistakes and one very decisive counter attack

tom hately did very well for large parts and won us the ball which started most of our attacks

don't think it was all that similar to against celtic, i think we had a far better chance here, besides the full back and attack mid player(i think) who scored they we're very very ordinary and that's why i still have hope

Keith Lasley is a fucking hero, played out his skin. Apart from that I agree with most other posts. We just lacked the killer touch to take our chances

I'm having to convince myself a miracle could happen in Athens seeing as I've just shelled a few hundred to go..

A miracle can happen. Believe!

Keef was unbelievably good tonight. A true captains performance. Always at the ref to hurry up play. My MOTM

Proud to be a Well fan tonight, as always. I enjoyed the game and thought the Players and the crowd gave it their all.

In respect to a possible fine from UEFA for objects being thrown onto the park. IMHO UEFA should have more of an interest in the disgraceful antics of Sissoko and his teams officials, a player i may add was the best player on the park by a country mile. His nasel hair brushed off one of our defenders shoulders and he went down as if he had been pole axed. To see him more or less fighting with medical staff as he entered the tunnel to get of the stretcher absolutely beggard belief. He then returned to the field of play and covered every blade of grass just as he had done the whole game, this for me wastes the game more than a couple of bits of paper being thrown onto the park.

• Like 3

I thought we were very very good tonight. Composed, patient, technically excellent going forward and strong at the back (if a little all over the place at times). What separates teams on our level from teams at a higher level however, is that even in games where we're playing fantastically well there will be 4/5/6 occasions where we completely switch off. At a higher level they are generally on it for 90 mins. That's what done us tonight....2 ridiculous lapses and wrong choices let to 2 goals. At 1-0 I think we could have done something over there, games still tight and we know they aren't miles above us. 2-0 is just too much to ask I think.

If we can perform like that domestically then there's no-one could touch us (which obviously we won't, factoring in inconsistencies, injuries etc).

Oh, and watching Ojamma is like watching a shite Teen Wolf.

A lot of what I was going to post has been covered in a few posts already so I won't go overboard on the detail.

Feel a mixture of pride and disappointment at the moment. Wonderful to be involved in such an occasion and we certainly didn't disgrace ourselves.

Unfortunately we had a latecomer or someone returning from the pisser so didn't see their first goal. It was disappointing, not unexpected perhaps but disappointing but it was really encouraging the way they took McCall's pre-match words on board to keep at it and we went on to turn in a really good display.

There was a wee minute in the second where we had them hemmed in, were really pressing for an equaliser and the whole ground was roaring the team on and believing it was about to happen. It was wonderful.....then bang suddenly we were two down.

In all honesty I think the tie has gone at 2-0. An early goal for us - it can happen - or a really sloppy and complacent outlook from them and the dynamics change a bit. But as it stands a respectable result and another strong performance will hopefully be worth its weight in gold in experience and confidence for future European tests.

Sad to have lost but still a great night - and great time to be a 'Well fan!

• Like 1

Lasley had one of his best games ever!

PAO were not really any better than us, they got a lucky goal and then cut us open with a classic counter attack.

Had we carried a bit of luck, we wouldnt have conceeded the 1st and higgys header would have went in, laws might have snuck round the keepwr.

For me, 1st half shot aside, humphrey wasnt at the races. Not sure it was all his fault though, everyone knows to get the best from hump you play the ball infront of him, not to his feet. He was innefective all night, should have been punted at the hour mark.

Fans were awesome, except for launching the paper at the players. Saying that, those PAO players have a cheek moaning about it, c***s in their stadium launch fireworks!

I fear its all over, but fuck it, come next weeks kickoff no doubt i'll believe again.

• Like 2

I tell you their wee clover badge certainly gave them luck! Thoroughly unlucky not to score tonight but hey ho thats how football goes sometimes. I hope we go out and have a go because tbh that mob are there for the taking , in my opinion we were the better team tonight and were only undone by a lucky goal and a goal that was scored because we were throwing the kitchen sink at them.

Also some 'fans' are utter plebs who have obviously never played football in their lives , giving dogs abuse to higdon for not scoring with headers from 15 yards out etc.

got to look at the positives we were up against a side of fair european pedigree and tbh we more than held our own in fact we were probably the better side on the night

We just carried no luck with that damn free kick going straight in :wallbash: and then a counter that should have been prevented, not sure who it was but they shat out a challenge on the build up to the break. Randy didn't have too much to do one notable tip over the bar in the 1st half

we have nothing to fear over in athens stanger things have happened im not righting the tie off just yet although it will be a huge ask

pana's number 3 was the only one that really stood out for them tho what he did at the end with the strecher carry on was pathetic

edit for typo