Motherwell Vs Panathinaikos

Al B

Just such a shame no-one "took one for the team" in the build up to the 2nd goal, can't help think if we had maybe hauled the guy down at the halfway line at worst a booking but maybe kept the score at 1-0 and gave us a better chance next week.

Guess we have to do it the hard waywallbash.gif

Made this same point last night.

A few of us have been saying this for a few seasons now, we are definitely not 'street-wise' enough when it comes to situations like this.

same old story as far as we are concerned. when it matters most our defence switches off. Sure they had quality, which has to be expected given their resources, but there was little between the teams other than two soft goals. We need to be sharper in front of goal.

We also badly need to practice crossing a ball, get our forward players closer to Higdon, and most of all provide help to players with the ball. It seems its far to easy to off load the ball to a player, and then stand back and watch them try to beat several players on their own.

Made this same point last night.

A few of us have been saying this for a few seasons now, we are definitely not 'street-wise' enough when it comes to situations like this.

Pretty sure Page took one for the team at Easter Road last season but willingbto be corrected on that.

We play a balanced game similar to last night.We look to keep it tight at the back but try and attack quickly and in numbers. My line-up would be the same as last night.

I understand the chances of us overturning a 2-0 deficit with the 2nd leg away from home are incredibly slim, but I'd be furious paying money to get to Athens to see us use it as preparation for the Europa League match.

Nick an early goal and anything can happen.

Agree with every last bit of that. Anyone heading to athens spending the best part of £600 on the trip and not at least hoping to have a go is either plain daft or filthy rich. Or both. Aye the odds are against us getting a result and it seems the Greeks are CERTAINTIES to be in the next round but I'm pretty sure it SEEMED as though Celtic were CERTAINTIES to win the league at Fir Park in 2005...

Not long back ...... quite a journey.

They were technically better than us, however the playacting and diving really gets on my tits. The number 3 ran the show but his antics were deplorable :angry: Time UEFA got tougher with cheats like this.

Don't think we deserved to lose 2-0, but thems the breaks. Sadly I fear we may shift 4+ next week.

Not long back ...... quite a journey.

They were technically better than us, however the playacting and diving really gets on my tits. The number 3 ran the show but his antics were deplorable :angry: Time UEFA got tougher with cheats like this.

Don't think we deserved to lose 2-0, but thems the breaks. Sadly I fear we may shift 4+ next week.

Totally agree. Sissoko was showing class up until then and should be ashamed of himself for those tactics. A player of his quality is only demeaning himself by diving, going for an Oscar in the pain department, getting stretchered off and then popping up to come back on a matter of seconds later. Should be a straight yellow card at least.

Edited by wee_monsieur

to the guy i was arguing within the east stand i apologise although i was right.

there's no need to argue amongst our own fans, so i'm apologising because your going to athens and so i'm i and your bigger than me so goodluck :cheers:

what were ye arguing about?

Liverpool, Newcastle, Inter, Lazio, Stuttgart, Bordeaux, Cska Moscow, PSV or Marseille. Apparently.

With the exception of Moscow, they are all pretty accessible.

Is that maybe just a hand picked selection of teams we could get? I thought there were loads more than that?

According to Wikipedia, confirmed seeds are...

Sporting Lisbon

Cska Moscow

PSV Eindhoven

Bordeaux

Stuttgart

Metalist Kharkiv

Az alkmaar

Happoel tel aviv

Lazio

Then winners of previous rounds, losers from champions league, plus teams whose seeding is TBC when all entrants are known.

Including:

Newcastle utd

Levante

Trabsonzspor

Dnipro

Inter

PAOK

Fc twente

Inter Milan

Bilbao

Rosenborg

Steau Bucharest

Bursaspor

Marseille

Poznan

Feyenoord

Brugges

The list of potential opponents can change right up until the last few hours before the draw.

Those already qualified, plus winners from this round, plus losers from Champions League all go in and get split in to groups of ten or twelve dependent on seeding - 5/6 seeds, 5/6 non-seeds. Also no 2 clubs from the same country can be in the same draw group hence the reason there may have to be several changed to groups before the draw.

If I remember rightly, when we drew Nancy, we were originally in the draw group with AC Milan but had to get shifted due to two teams from the Czech Republic in another group. It had also totally changed due to an injury time goal somewhere (can't remember) that meant an unseeded team went through in the Champions League and a seeded team dropped down.

edit - found the spreadsheet that I used at the time

We were in a group with Milan, Besiktas, Spartak Moscow, Hertha Berlin and Partizan Belgrade and that changed to Valencia, Brugges, Sparta Prague, Man City and Nancy