Motherwell Vs Panathinaikos

Al B

i think he has been signed to play cb.

he's no better than saunders, page or cummins, we should have used the money on a midfielder. obviously no ex-bradford holding midfielders available this summer....

We signed him because he was cheap, experienced and can play in a number of positions.

It might have passed you by, but we had no money to spend. I'm sure the club would welcome your input into who we could have brought in as a holding midfielder for the same price.

In saying that I do think McCall sees Saunders as a RB or he wouldn't have signed Ramsden

That's right. In one of his interviews, McCall said he think Saunders should be playing right back 'at this stage of his career'.

So I tend to agree that he's not filling in an emergency. But I'm not that concerned about that. He'll do a job. And he's more experienced than all our centre backs put together.

a solid decade of league two experience.

the guy is an injury prone nobody who has got a deal with us because mccall is deluded enough to think the players who got him sacked at bradford are good lads.

we only can only be grateful he didn't get a two year deal like omar.

We signed him because he was cheap, experienced and can play in a number of positions.

It might have passed you by, but we had no money to spend. I'm sure the club would welcome your input into who we could have brought in as a holding midfielder for the same price.

we signed him because he is one of mcall's ex players. it remains to be seen whether or not he can play in a number of positions. tonight suggested he struggled in one.

i've no idea who we could have signed but surely knowing that is why our management team get a wage?

a solid decade of league two experience.

the guy is an injury prone nobody who has got a deal with us because mccall is deluded enough to think the players who got him sacked at bradford are good lads.

we only can only be grateful he didn't get a two year deal like omar.

A solid decade of league two experience, yes. As opposed to one to two years of experience in the U19s.

Would I rather we had signed a midfielder? Possibly but then McCall would be accused of hampering the development of Hetherington or Carswell rather than Cummins, Murray and Page.

I don't see why you are so set against Ramsden anyway. He didn't have a bad game tonight. And he won't play teams of the same quality of Panathinaikos every week...

• Like 1

we signed him because he is one of mcall's ex players. it remains to be seen whether or not he can play in a number of positions. tonight suggested he struggled in one.

i've no idea who we could have signed but surely knowing that is why our management team get a wage?

McCall's signing policy did us not too shabby last season (seeing as we've just played a Champions League qualifier) so I'm willing to put faith in his signing again this season.

Thought Ramsden has a good game tonight and if he can play like that week in, week out, I have no problem with it being him and Hutchy that start.

I don't see why you are so set against Ramsden anyway. He didn't have a bad game tonight. And he won't play teams of the same quality of Panathinaikos every week...

steelboy needs a few players to hate. He is still upset that Higdon's goal tally helped us reach 3rd place. The fact that he continues to criticize the signings of a manager who has just led us out to a CL match speaks for itself.

If anyone feels the need to question a new player's ability based on one competitive outing (in the CL!), then that also speak for itself. I remember hearing Arsene Wenger saying that when a player switches leagues it takes 6 months for them to adjust and settle in. I expect steelboy would disagree with that too, just for the chance to start another argument.

• Like 2

steelboy needs a few players to hate. He is still upset that Higdon's goal tally helped us reach 3rd place. The fact that he continues to criticize the signings of a manager who has just led us out to a CL match speaks for itself.

mark mcghee led us to the exact same spot. should we not have questioned the signing of bob malcolm?

also i predicted that higdon would score 17 goals. doesn't make him a player, his marking for the first goal tonight - again after the everton game - shows he is a liability. he is no less fat than he was last season.

mark mcghee led us to the exact same spot. should we not have questioned the signing of bob malcolm?

also i predicted that higdon would score 17 goals. doesn't make him a player, his marking for the first goal tonight - again after the everton game - shows he is a liability. he is no less fat than he was last season.

Higdon didn't have the best of games but our first half tactics were pish.What's the point of having Higdon if we're going to try and play through the middle all the time, Euro teams are always dodgy from crosses and the first time somebody put a decent ball in Humphrey almost scored from it.2nd half was a bit better but we never got it wide often enough.

I don't recall Bob Malcolm contributing anything that led us to 3rd place in the league.

Let's face it - you strive to be the dissenting voice. I'll bet you are one of those guys that loves to listen to unknown bands and then ditches them when they become popular.

You complain that Ramsden's experience is worthless because it was League 2. Higdon's experience was not in league two and he did the job he was signed to do - but you complain about him too. No doubt you would have turned down the signing of Ross McCormack and Skippy due to their obvious lack of SPL experience. Likewise for Dougie Arnott with no senior experience in the game.

The days of signing a Porter or a Jutkiewicz are long gone.

You offer no alternatives, just criticisms that are, at times, laughable. When anyone points out the fallacies in your arguments you ignore them rather than defend them.

Once you learn how to read a balance sheet, I'm sure you will start to appreciate the position Motherwell are in when it comes to bringing in new players.

• Like 9

A bit unfair to single out Ramsden in my view. OK he didn't play well but there were a few others in the same category. Lets focus on the ones who did like Higgy, Lasley and Hutchy. The lads who didn't perform to their own standards last night will be the first to know that and have a great opportunity to redeem themselves on Saturday and next week in Athens.

For a player playing in League 2 last year to Champions League on his competitive debut, I was pretty impressed with Ramsden. He will do a job for Motherwell anyway.

Lasley and Law were the outstanding Motherwell performers, Law looked incredibly composed on the ball against a higher quality opposition and Lasley put in some shift. I was worried about a midfield with Murphy, Law, Lasley and Humphrey before the game, in that essentially it'salmost a 4-2-4 and I thought we'd get run over. That just wasn't the case and it's credit to Law and lasley.

However, just wasn't to be last night, no-one seriously expected a win and the manner of defeat was acceptable in that we played a lot of the better football and gave them a right good game. We just lack that creative quality and killer instinct in the final third when teams are going to sit back and soak up the pressure.

Very positive for the SPL games. I know it is unrealistic but it would be great if in this new Rangers-less SPL, the team got that level of support and backing every week.

I was proud of every player in the team last night, we played really well and created lots of chances against a good Panathinikos side, who in truth are a lot better than us. Every player put in a great shift, and with a bit more composure in front of goal we would have scored at least 1 (Ojamma not looking up and playing Murphy in was the best of them).

It was our champions league debut and we made a very good experienced European team look ordinary, its only half time and we are 2 down, so anything is possible.

Panathinikos will consider it as job done, but if we can score 1st in Athens then its game on, we showed last night that we can create oportunities against them, lets live the dream and believe. :nod:

• Like 2

Don't think I've seen anyone mention our two penalty claims in the second half

First was a stonewaller IMHO , pana player on the deck in the box extended his arm to block the ball into the 6yd box

Second claim, the offside flag was up when the pana player handled, couldn't tell from the cooper if it was offside but the linesman defo had flag up before hand

I really enjoyed last nights game, particularly a 15 minute period in the second half when Motherwell really went for it and were roared on by brilliant support. We had a few chances in that period but just couldn't stick them away.

The players were very tired in the last 15 minutes or so, the lack of movement resulted in a lot of long balls to big Higdon. Hopefully that won't be the case for the season ahead.

Lasley was outstanding, Murphy showed promise and although the Greeks tactics froze him out, Humphrey was very poor and barely got a kick.

Roll on the season.

As a guy on the train back to Uddingston said last night, 'that might be the best team we play all season.'

bbc has written us off

greek media has reported they have already secured the finances they needed by qualifying for the next round

the guys writing these headlines are going to feel really stupid if motherwell go over there and get a result :popcorn:

same with all the rangers fans who had motherwell trending on twitter last night laughing at us losing to them.. :laugh:

First was a stonewaller IMHO , pana player on the deck in the box extended his arm to block the ball into the 6yd box

I originally thought the same about the first one, but considering it in hindsight, the boy was flying in, sliding and could do very little about it as the ball ricocheted off his arm. Definitely seen them given but tough one to call.

same with all the rangers fans who had motherwell trending on twitter last night laughing at us losing to them.. :laugh:

Ah, yes. Because the team who struggled to overcome Brechin at the weekend would have fared so much better rolleyes.gif

Disagree with Steelboy about Ramsden i thought he did well and will be an asset for us in the SPL. As for last night we were great and only Humprey didn't turn up. Everyone else including Higdon{never thought i'd say that} :rolleyes: did really well against a team who is way above anything we'll meet in the SPL. The fans were superb too. They always are mind you. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Apart from the score it was a great night last night, the team played well and the atmosphere was electric at times.

Looking forward what are your thought regarding how we should play next week?

we have a couple of options, sit in and hope to get a couple of breaks, go all out and see what happens or use the game as preperation for the Europa league away game.

Thoughts please.