Motherwell Vs Panathinaikos

Al B

Apart from the score it was a great night last night, the team played well and the atmosphere was electric at times.

Looking forward what are your thought regarding how we should play next week?

we have a couple of options, sit in and hope to get a couple of breaks, go all out and see what happens or use the game as preperation for the Europa league away game.

Thoughts please.

Go for it and use as preperation for EL. Tie is finished. No question. This is easier to take when we know that we will still be ccompeting in Europe beyond this fixture. Sure we could score but I think there is no chance of us shutting them out at their own ground. I just hope the away tie doesn't end up being 3 or 4 nil.

Play the first team until they score. After that bring on three youngsters, at different times, in order to give them more experience.

It was deja vu last night all the way down to the first goal. Closer game and a much better performance by us but just so like the Nancy home game, cracking atmosphere, place is buzzing then we are undone by a first goal that goes straight in from a free kick. Or did Fortune tap it in at the back post, trying to remember. Very similar anyway.

i think he has been signed to play cb.

he's no better than saunders, page or cummins, we should have used the money on a midfielder. obviously no ex-bradford holding midfielders available this summer....

He's no better based on what? Ramsden has played more games at centre for Motherwell than Saunders has! There are, in my opinion, still big question marks over Johnny Page and he's not always convinced when given the opportunity. Cummins is a kid with 1 appearance. Seriously what exactly are you basing your opinion on?

None of the guys above have played in a Champions League match, Ramsden has, so there is no basis of comparison. Ramsden did OK, considering he was playing at a high level with a defensive partner he'd never played along side before.

Ramsden, may or may not be a good or bad signing but to write the guy off after one competitive match at the highest level this club has ever played at, in a game we were unlucky to lose, well that's just stupid.

• Like 2

Based on that performance last night I am really looking forward to the season ahead. Ramsden and Hutch will get better and I felt Ramsden use of the ball was not bad. Hutchison made a few mistakes but overall was very impressive considering he had hardly played. Would not be surprised to see a big club come in for him soon. Has all the attributes to play at the highest level.

Law and Lasley in the middle is a revelation. Both were brilliant last night and already I am thinking this could end up working out better than the Lasley Jennings partnership as its a more dangerous combination.

Humphrey was his frustrating self last night and needed more composure on the ball, but he will roast a good few full backs this season.

Murphy I thought was excellent last night and his on the ball running was first class. Again would not be surprised if he goes either this month or in January.

Ojamma was hounded out the game, but his pass to cut open the defence shows he has that killer touch that could get us goals. Just needs to look up more.

Higdon was useful up front and some better knock downs and we could have been in a few times.

Hammell and Hately were as usual brilliant - so important for the team.

What impressed me the most was our passing and our determination to win the ball back. Play like that against Ross County and we should get the three points.

Long hard season ahead with such a small squad, but last night the potential was shown that we could once again achieve a Champions League place.

Bring it on!

He's no better based on what? Ramsden has played more games at centre for Motherwell than Saunders has! There are, in my opinion, still big question marks over Johnny Page and he's not always convinced when given the opportunity. Cummins is a kid with 1 appearance. Seriously what exactly are you basing your opinion on?

saunders has played at centrehalf for us quite about 14 or 15 times, inlcuding a couple of great performances against the old firm. the one time him and hutchy played together they were excellent.

ramsden hasn't show anything to suggest he is better than any of the three of saunders, cummins and page. we got good results in the past throwing in hutchy, saunders and reynolds, we should have trusted in the young players and tried to get a replacement in for jenno.

• Like 1

saunders has played at centrehalf for us quite about 14 or 15 times, inlcuding a couple of great performances against the old firm. the one time him and hutchy played together they were excellent.

ramsden hasn't show anything to suggest he is better than any of the three of saunders, cummins and page. we got good results in the past throwing in hutchy, saunders and reynolds, we should have trusted in the young players and tried to get a replacement in for jenno.

As a centre half, playing his first competitive game for us, against far better players than he will face over the season, what would you have liked him to have done?

Hat-trick? 5 clearances off the line? Overhead kick goal?

we have a couple of options, sit in and hope to get a couple of breaks, go all out and see what happens or use the game as preperation for the Europa league away game.

We play a balanced game similar to last night.We look to keep it tight at the back but try and attack quickly and in numbers. My line-up would be the same as last night.

I understand the chances of us overturning a 2-0 deficit with the 2nd leg away from home are incredibly slim, but I'd be furious paying money to get to Athens to see us use it as preparation for the Europa League match.

Nick an early goal and anything can happen.

• Like 1

Based on that performance last night I am really looking forward to the season ahead. Ramsden and Hutch will get better and I felt Ramsden use of the ball was not bad. Hutchison made a few mistakes but overall was very impressive considering he had hardly played. Would not be surprised to see a big club come in for him soon. Has all the attributes to play at the highest level.

Law and Lasley in the middle is a revelation. Both were brilliant last night and already I am thinking this could end up working out better than the Lasley Jennings partnership as its a more dangerous combination.

Humphrey was his frustrating self last night and needed more composure on the ball, but he will roast a good few full backs this season.

Murphy I thought was excellent last night and his on the ball running was first class. Again would not be surprised if he goes either this month or in January.

Ojamma was hounded out the game, but his pass to cut open the defence shows he has that killer touch that could get us goals. Just needs to look up more.

Higdon was useful up front and some better knock downs and we could have been in a few times.

Hammell and Hately were as usual brilliant - so important for the team.

What impressed me the most was our passing and our determination to win the ball back. Play like that against Ross County and we should get the three points.

Long hard season ahead with such a small squad, but last night the potential was shown that we could once again achieve a Champions League place.

Bring it on!

Was gonna write a wee summary of my thoughts on the game but they'd just look like the above, totally agree with all of that.

Play like we did last night against Ross County and it'll be a fuckin cricket score!

Don't suppose anyone has a link to any highlights of the game?

Thought that we played extremely well last night and at least deserved a goal for our efforts, however a bit like the Odense home leg 2 years ago it just wasn't to be our night. The atmosphere was cracking throughout the game and if we can get the first goal next week you never know what can happen. The 2nd goal almost certainly has killed the tie off unfortunately.

Was really disappointed with their first goal, silly foul to concede by Hutchy and Randolph shouldn't be getting beat from that type of free kick.

Was really disappointed with their first goal, silly foul to concede by Hutchy and Randolph shouldn't be getting beat from that type of free kick.

It was a tricky one though. Randolph had to be ready for Boumsong getting a touch, which he was. Unfortunately by him missing it, he just couldn't get back across to stop it. Could someone on the post have got there? Maybe, but who knows?

What about Hutchison giving away a pointless free kick in a stupid area? Or do you like him so you fail to mention that?

hutchy was a bit naive with some of his challenges in the first half but being over eager isn't anywhere near as bad as not bothering to track your man.

Just such a shame no-one "took one for the team" in the build up to the 2nd goal, can't help think if we had maybe hauled the guy down at the halfway line at worst a booking but maybe kept the score at 1-0 and gave us a better chance next week.

Guess we have to do it the hard waywallbash.gif