Motherwell Vs Panathinaikos

Al B

We were discussing this very point in our office today Andy. The feeling was that BBC/STV would be lukewarm at best but that Greek TV monies will make us a very happy club indeed. How accurate is that? I don't know but no doubt someone on these boards will have good knowledge of Greek TV.

It is from the record but they say the club are looking at about 200k

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/07/21/motherwell-eye-500k-tv-windfall-from-champions-league-clash-with-greek-outfit-panathinaikos-86908-23910819/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

How many fans will they bring to FP ?

I would imagine they might have a sizeable UK fan base (London etc)

In terms of a full-house, If Pana do bring a few, then that might to eat into the capacity further again - when I say that I'm presuming the wings of the Main Stand are going to be unavailable.

Mind when Aalesunds brought a few in the Europa League, they had to section off the seats below them because there was apparently some UEFA regulation that you can't have one set of fans above or below another.

Im sure the Greeks can be acoomodated in the top tear of the South Stand. This is a marvellous draw for us by the way a big team with a big support and hopefully a decent payout for us. As for getting through the tie...Not a snowball in hell's chance. :cheers:

even with a "defensive crisis" injuries to page, Saunders and hutch maybe not fit enough by then we have more than a snowballs chance, player for player they're not as good as Celtic, they are fairly slow and a few of them probably playing in there last seasons, they have an average squad Everton had some far better players on display today against us. We have a pretty fast and young team but with some experienced heads too and if the right attitude is instilled in them, we get the right bounce of the ball and anything is possible. Think of the many times we have drawn or beaten Celtic home and away over the years, we could drawn 0-0 at fir park or even snatch a goal or two who knows, then it's all to play for over there and even a score draw would see us through! have some belief and ambition! the players will be going out to win, this is a huge game for them and the club and could have a massive impact on the next few years and the future of the club!

Exciting times, anything can and will happen :popcorn:

btw I think we'll be pumped in midweek by Hamilton! (but don't worry it's all part of McCalls plan :nod:)

• Like 1

Im sure the Greeks can be acoomodated in the top tear of the South Stand. This is a marvellous draw for us by the way a big team with a big support and hopefully a decent payout for us. As for getting through the tie...Not a snowball in hell's chance. :cheers:

So based on that sumary of our chances you wont be bothering to go to the game as we have no chance..?:doh: Of the 4 teams we could have got, Panathinikos are probably rated 3rd in terms of ability etc so it was a good draw for us.

We played well yesterday against a strong EPL team who i consider to be better than the Greeks so we have a chance, especially with the home leg 1st, keep a clean sheet and we have a great chance to get through. Winning this tie probably earns the club over a million pounds by guarenteeing another 8 games, so we need to believe it can be done.

So based on that sumary of our chances you wont be bothering to go to the game as we have no chance..?:doh: Of the 4 teams we could have got, Panathinikos are probably rated 3rd in terms of ability etc so it was a good draw for us.

We played well yesterday against a strong EPL team who i consider to be better than the Greeks so we have a chance, especially with the home leg 1st, keep a clean sheet and we have a great chance to get through. Winning this tie probably earns the club over a million pounds by guarenteeing another 8 games, so we need to believe it can be done.

competing in this tie makes us £70k + tv money + home gate. Probably in the region of £500k - £600k total, WINNING IT makes us 2.1m eur for getting to the champ lge knockout, 600k eur for then dropping to the europa lge group plus all add ons. Winning this tie will guarantee the club MINIMUM £3m

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1842759.html

Panathinaikos FC have announced the signing of 24-year-old forward Bruno Fornaroli from UC Sampdoria.

Fornaroli, from Uruguay, has signed a three-year contract with Panathinaikos, who begin their UEFA Champions League campaign against Motherwell FC in the third qualifying round. He started his career in his homeland before joining Sampdoria in 2008, but leaves the club having made just 17 Serie A appearances having spent time on loan with the likes of CA San Lorenzo de Almagro and RC Recreativo de Huelva.

Fornaroli is the sixth new arrival at Panathinaikos this summer. Central defenders José Manuel Velasquez and André Pinto, defensive midfielder Pape Habib Sow, winger Ibrahim Sissoko and forward Kostas Barbaroussis have also joined the Athens club.

Got my home ticket yesterday! Needless to say I'm really excited. I believe the club is confident of over 10000 so maybe were offering 3/4000 away tickets?? Would be nice to see an away crowd fill that south stand (won't happen though)

I reckon we'll have around 8000 in the home end so hopefully they make up the numbers.

With the club hoping to make a 500K profit from this game, even mor come the return leg. Tink our finances should be in order soon whistling.gif

competing in this tie makes us £70k + tv money + home gate. Probably in the region of £500k - £600k total

Leeann Dempster seemed to think it would be nearer £200k when she was asked about it on MFC TV a while back, although I don't know what might have changed since we found out who we were playing. Can't imagine it would triple the income, though.

btw anyone know do we get any prize money for playing in the CLQ?

like for a draw/win or even a loss? just for turning up and taking part kind of thing :ph34r:

edit nvm i found it ! nothing for this round but... if something amazing happens....

• Playoffs: €2,100,000
  • Group stage: €3,900,000
  • For each match in group stage: €550,000
  • Group match victory: €800,000
  • Group match draw: €400,000
  • Round of 16: €3,000,000
  • Quarter-finals: €3,300,000
  • Semi-finals: €4,200,000
  • Losing finalist: €5,600,000
  • Winning the Final: €9,000,000

I think the club rightly played down the benefits of this game although in fairness they didn't know who we were playing at that time. How many fans would FC Kobenhavn or Dinamo Kiev bring? Don't forget though that if we sell 10,000 tickets HMRC will take their whack in VAT (max £60,000) and a fair chunk of the tickets will be concessions.

btw anyone know do we get any prize money for playing in the CLQ?

like for a draw/win or even a loss? just for turning up and taking part kind of thing :ph34r:

edit nvm i found it ! nothing for this round but... if something amazing happens....

Don't know if it has increased but UEFA Champions League 2009/2010 all qualifying rounds were 130.000 €