Athens

Burn_Broomfield

After going to cup final last year I'm not getting to this one, home or away, but it's great reading all these posts sounds like everyone is going to have a BLAST and looks like we wil have a decent amount of fans in Greece.

Never have seen motherwell play in europe since i moved here in 1989. Closest i can relate to it is having been at white heart lane for the 3 - 2 texaco cup game..... 1970 i think. Scary how long ago that is!!!!!

EDIT: Looking forward to hearing all the stories once everyone.........or at least most of you ......gets back.

139 on the charter. Woman in office said they might have to charter two planes.

Not according to the update on the "effical site"........

"WE ARE NOW FULLY BOOKED FOR THIS FLIGHT AND ARE NO-LONGER TAKING EMAILS OF INTEREST"

The "email link" has now been taken off...........I'm stll waiting on a reply to my email :whistling:

Gaag

I'm also staying at Crowne Plaza and I think I might be on same flights as you. Leaving Edin around 6pm on the Sunday and arriving Athens 2 ish on the Monday morning. BA flights. Flying back Thursday early afternoon. Up for a taxi share?

Sounds about right mate, up for that. Will drop you a line tomorrow!

A wee note for anyone that missed it earlier - I've put a wee guide up in Compost Corner on how to get a better, simpler choice of streams for any potential away games and, indeed, most televised footy over the course of the season.

A wee bit of work to set it up but worth it when it's done. Makes finding a working link a lot easier.

Two of us going out Tuesday morning on the 0630 from Edinburgh - Heathrow, then on the 1150 to Athens.

Hope to see a few of you in the bar at Heathrow for 'breakfast'.

Staying at the Airotel Alexandros.

Anyone know what the club are doing about tickets and if we are all guaranteed one?

they have an average attendance of about 15k so we will be fine! do they not have to offer us something like 3500 seats anyway by the rules?

also after looking at the stadium it is one of those miles away from the park with a running track efforts. wish they still played in the wee green stadium, it looked crackin when full

it's a 75,000 seater stadium.

i think we should be ok.

Lol! Okay.

I knew they used the Olympic Stadium for big European games, just wasnt sure that they used it on a full time basis or whether they would have taken us to their own stadium, however, I see from Wikipedia that it is no longer suitable for UEFA games and is due for demolition.

Shame, would have been a better atmosphere there. Mind you, that might not have been in our favour!

A wee note for anyone that missed it earlier - I've put a wee guide up in Compost Corner on how to get a better, simpler choice of streams for any potential away games and, indeed, most televised footy over the course of the season.

A wee bit of work to set it up but worth it when it's done. Makes finding a working link a lot easier.

can't find it, can you post link?

cheers

Sounds like it will be like Hampden when we play Queens Park.

A pana fan on fpc said theyre expecting a 35-40k attendance.

a mixture of these quotes - its a huge stadium, but unless its full it will have an atmosphere like hampden - very poor!!!!!!!

as someone else mentioned, would much rather have went to their "own" stadium

i've been to the Olympic stadium and i wasnt overly impressed (from a footballing point of view) - we will be miles away from the park.

will them having to "offer" us 3750 tickets, then there will be plenty of space for standing / sitting debate!!!!!!!!!!

a mixture of these quotes - its a huge stadium, but unless its full it will have an atmosphere like hampden - very poor!!!!!!!

as someone else mentioned, would much rather have went to their "own" stadium

i've been to the Olympic stadium and i wasnt overly impressed (from a footballing point of view) - we will be miles away from the park.

will them having to "offer" us 3750 tickets, then there will be plenty of space for standing / sitting debate!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure we can get a good deal on the flares and smoke bombs in Athens to create a bit of an atmosphere...we should have a collection :whistling:

Here is a copy of the post from the pana fan on FPC

"Holla from Athens and a Panathinaikos fan. The return leg will be played at OAKA (not the natural home of Panathinaikos, which can be easilly assesed by train or regular buses). Temperatures will be fiercing high (36 Celcius and more), Athens will be rather empty because most of the people are taking their leaves in August and we are expectin somethnig of 35-40.000 attendance. You will not face any kind of problem with our fans(unless you provoke, something that i am certain you will not tend to do). As for you Athens stay, do not visit the historical centre late at night and you will be fine.

Our team is in a transition phase, we do have a bunch of Greek and foreign internationals, an extremely experient Portuguese manager and as you will perceive, a bunch of very loyal fans.

Have a good trip and feel free to ask anything

(here is a small taste of OAKA

) "