Athens

Burn_Broomfield

:doh:

If i look like Tim Clancy, then We Are All Tim Clancy. Poor look-a-like effort. The people who actually thought i was Tim Clancy should be ashamed.

Tho makes a change from being "that guy with his boaby out in the fountain in odensse"

Tremedous few days. Serious thoughts about not going back to Oz if we get a good Europa Cup draw.............

Athens is an absolute shiteheap though.

Absolutely correct, total dive.

How the fuck did you avoid the sunburn?! My back is absolutely red raw.

Tremendous trip though, fine hotel, fine patter, almost fell out a taxi window, fine hotdogs, good day oot.

Just a wee euro tour tip, don't buy you suncream out the pound shop, my back is in some nick!

Great few days, first hotel was a shitehole so moved to the novus- roof top bar thanks very much!

Great banter, great weather and plenty of alpha and myhos!!

Same old bullshit, no issues at all, police overkill at stadium. How much did policing cost for them tonight?

Surrounded by riot police & kept behind when there was no need.

Hope the boy that fell down the stairs is ok, get well soon.

I am ok, thanks, I slipped on one of the stairs and hit the back of my head.

They took me to hospital and I got 5 stitches.

My daughter was well looked after and many thanks to Rosie, Narrine and JP for coming to the hospital with her.

I'll see you 3 on Saturday and pay you back for the taxi's and so sorry you had to miss the second half.

Apart from the accident, my daughter and I had a fantastic trip and the Wee Dram was brilliant.

Thanks again to everyone for their concern. :notworthy:

It was in no way a bad trip, as following the 'Well in Europe is always a pleasure, however didnt enjoy it as much as my previous trips.

Athens itself is a complete shithole. Coming out of the Metro in the city centre, you were subjected to people sitting around injecting themselves. Also spotted needles lying on the pavement. Motherwell and cities in Scotland are not exactly wonderful but never seen sights like that back home.

The stadium was pretty impressive and the atmosphere in the 'Well end throughout the full match was brilliant. We didnt seem to take as many fans as I initially thought but still made loads of noise.

Great experience in the Champions League and a memory that will live with me for life!

SIWY!

I must've been in a different Athens from those who thought it was a shit hole, I thought it was okay around the two main squares (Monastaraki and Syntagma) and in the area around the Acroplis - maybe didn't venture off the beaten track too often!! I also found the people really helpful and approachable. The food and drink was well priced for us allowing the Euros to stretch pretty far.

We had an enjoyable trip on the Metro up to the game with three Pana fans who were keen to know more about Scotland and Motherwell (one even thought we had an excellent stadium!!). They were really friendly and helpful as well, giving advice about the stadium and their team, and taught me the Greek for arsehole, which has been useful as an insult already.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip and would return to Athens again for a longer holiday.

I guess it has "rough" areas as have all the big cities and towns in Britain, you only to wonder what they thought about Motherwell when they came over here given some thought Athens was a shite hole!!!!

I guess it has "rough" areas as have all the big cities and towns in Britain, you only to wonder what they thought about Motherwell when they came over here given some thought Athens was a shite hole!!!!

Normally I would agree with you but reckon this is the only instance where that aint applicable!

Felt very proud to be a Well fan on Wednesday night. The 500 or so Dossers fae the Shire that made the trip were a credit to club and country. The noise generated by such a small group was fantastic and Im sure greatly appreciated by the players. Big shout out to the East Stand boys once again. The time money and energy they invest in supporting the team is incredible and their enthusiasm so infectious. LOVED the "we are all Stuart McCall" song which will surely be a standard as long as he remains in charge, although song of the trip has to go to "Joe Wark knew Mo Farah, Mo Farah knew Joe Wark" at Syntagma Square.

Athens itself was fine but predominantly a working city so not sure I would rush back. Only negatives were the flapping by the local police over flags on trees and our safety neither of which was necessary and the transport fiasco. All minor irritations however because we are now and always will be Motherwell Champions League!

Milan anyone?

Back in about an hour ago after a horrible megabus journey from London last night! We were staying in a hostel two seconds away from the Acropolis museam, cracking tidy wee area! Athens was a nice city but in the early hours of the morning you did see some horrible sights!

Big shout out to Wolfman! Great stray dug!

• Like 1

Lets all just pause and give a moment of thanks that nobody was stabbed , died of starvation or old age while waiting to get through the queues at Heathrow or was vapourised on the spot in the heat of Athens.

No doubt it wont stop the knickers being twisted again in a couple of hours when we rerun the fun though :whistling:

Sissoko may have acted like an arsehole when he scored, but he was the best player on the park by a country mile in both legs!

His abilities as a player are not in question. It just makes his antics in both games all the more gauling as there was no need for him to do either. He also escaped a yellow card for leaving the field of play and making inflammatory guestures to opposition fans. Im not precious about these things as we as football fans dish plenty out, however there is no denying he is a 'bawbag'.

Sissoko may have acted like an arsehole when he scored, but he was the best player on the park by a country mile in both legs!

He may have been, but that's no reason for him to act like a complete prick. Was quality when Hammell took him out a couple of minutes later, even the ref didn't seem to mind!

Great trip, absolutely exhausted today though, glad I've got the day off. The only downside for me (apart from the result) was the organisation and attitude of Panathinaikos and the Greek police. To only inform Motherwell the night before the match that you want all Well fans in the stadium 3 hours before kick off is an absolute farce. It would have been a good move arranging the buses, if they'd bothered their arses to inform anyone at Motherwell beforehand so that the club could have advised all fans to travel that way. A complete lack of information from the Greeks, only added to by the different police forces over there saying different things and that fact that none of them seemed to have any idea that half the people in the square were already going to be getting to the stadium on the charter bus.

Add to that the setup at the stadium, which I thought was absolutely shocking. In a ground where the temperature was mid-thirties, to have one single guy selling water for 700-odd fans is shocking. The whole thing reeked of minimal effort from the Greeks, who were obviously providing the bare minimum they could get away with. Maybe the over the top police presence is standard in Greek football but it did feel like someone forgot to tell them that we'd taken Rangers' place in the tie.

All in all though, a great trip. Some fun travel, a couple of hairy landings, fortunately no sunburn, and a fantastic experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-Mrgzg16M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDUL7gDuWw