Hamilton Accies - Saturday

Steve Diggle

We were rank rotten in the first half and Hamilton were unlucky to go in a goal down at half-time. I think the main reason for our poor first half was the formation. MM went 4-4-2 playing Smith wide right and O'Brien wide left (out of position having had about 6 great games on the right). With Klimpl playing in front of our back four this left only Hughes in the midfield and he was simply our numbered.

Billy Reid had also done his homework and Hammell who is normally our main attacking threat on the left was never really a forward threat in the first half as he was man marked by Mensing.

MM changed the tactics second half and asked the players to get the ball forward much quicker by missing out midfield and play on the second phase ball and this certainly worked very well and gave us more attacking threat. It allowed Hughes to push much further up the park to support Sheridan and Clarkson who ran the Hamitlon defence ragged. As a result I thought we dominated for much of the second half and were unlucky on a few occasions not to get a second goal including what seemed a legitimate penalty.

Hamilton played a lot of good football but really lack goal scoring threat. They remind me very much of ICT when they came into the SPL in the way that they have four really big bruising defenders. McCarthy and McArthur are both very good players but once they lose them I think they will be a very ordinary side.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are now seven unbeaten in the league, 4 wins and three draws. We haven't shown that kind of form since, I make it, 2003-04 when we went seven league games unbeaten after that dreadful cup tie at Forfar.

Smith

Quinn --- Reynolds --- Craigan --- Hammell

D Smith --- Hughes --- Klimpl --- O'Brien

Clarkson --- Sheridan

We were much better against St Mirren when Daz and Cillian were on the park, why not give Daz a start and see if he can kick on like O'Brien did when McGhee showed a little faith in him.

I also like the idea of O'Brien on the left as he has the ability to cut inside and beat his man.

I thought this was the right team and I was proved right.

Thought Daz put in a good shift and O'Brien on the left worked well. Got to be the same team against St Mirren.

We went 8 league games unbeaten after the 5-6 Aberdeen game at Fir Park, though we've some way to go to beat the best in recent memory. 15 unbeaten at the beginning of season 1994-95, GingerEck's first in charge. That run came to an end amidst a very, very soggy December day against Aberdeen at Fir Park.

Utter pish in the first half, Accies must've been sickened to be a goal down at half-time, we were never in it. An improvement in the second half though and we could have had at least another goal.

Absolutely delighted to beat them. I haven't celebrated a goal like I did today for a wee while now, partly because it was so against the run of play and partly because it was against Accies.

The ref had an absolute howler and I wish a plague of pox on that c**t McClenahan.

Today was the first I've seen Sheridan in a 'Well jersey (I fucked up my work rotas so I missed the St Midden cup game) and I wasn't impressed by him. Seemed to me that when he didn't get/win the ball he just gave up and continued wandering aimlessly.

The celebrations of Jim O'Brien and in particular Paul Quinn at the final whistle showed how much the win meant, they felt it the same way we did. 'Mon the 'Well.

Nae team on earth could play football on our pitch, so to grind out a 1-0 win over a side that's won six on the trot has to be a very good result.

No one overly impressed but sometimes you need to just battle away and get the points.

In other news, we quite obviously played one up front against St Mirren last week and no amount of greeting or deflecting from McGhee in the programme is going to change that.

It wasn't the tactics apparently, it was the pitch. Haha, lies. :lol:

booking Quinn after the incident with McCarthy (?), who showed today to be vastly over-hyped.

Quinn was booked for not shutting the fuck up. McDonald had spoken to both of them, waved him away and Quinn couldnt stop nipping at the ref, culminating in him actually putting his elbow up on the refs shoulder. He was booked for being a wanker and not letting the matter go after he got his telling off!

Saying that, it was good to see his celebration after the final whistle.

Finally, I thought McCarthy was really good. I would have him in our team in a heart beat.

Delighted with the win and with the great run we're on. We're now only goal difference from the top six and five behind Aberdeen in fifth. Not only that but we've opened up a three point gap between ourselves and Accies, and even more on those below.

Okay it wasn't the prettiest game of fitba you'll see, but we dug in and defended superbly. The attitude was spot on throughout, even when Accies were slightly on top, and in the end we deserved it.

I think everyone is in agreement. Pretty poor and very fortunate to be 1 up at half-time, but did a lot better in the 2nd half and I'm absolutely delighted with the 3 points.

As much as we're on a great run aswell, it was a huge ask to beat a team that had just won 6 on the bounce and although we rode our luck at times, we shouldv'e pumped Falkirk and Hibs and couldn't get the goal our play merited, so yesterday evened that up for me.

Get it up them!

I agree with a lot thats been said. We stole the 3 points against a better team on the day. Accies dominated for long spells but lacked a cutting edge up front. We failed to match them physically and they looked far more fired up than were. That said the ref was awful from start to finish and was rightly booed off at full time. Where did the extra 4 minutes come from incidentally?

Once again we didn't quite get the formation right. The midfield was distinctly lightweight against Accies' Panzer division. While Dazza put in a good shift on the right, it was at the expense of an out of sorts Jim O'Brien who was forced to play out of position on the left. If someone else starts wide right then Marc Fitzpatrick would have been a better, although not perfect, starting option.

Do I feel sorry for Accies? In a word no. We've played well and lost before. They're a big, fit and very physical team. Just too physical - two of their players were very, very fortunate to escape red cards for off the ball elbowing incidents. Billy Reid really needs to stop feeding them raw meat before games and cut out their strongarm stuff. Really felt sorry for Coach being yellow carded after being blatantly elbowed off the ball. That added insult to injury & would have tested the patience of saint.

Our best players? Probably Sheridan, who looked sharp, Davie Clarkson for his overall effort and goal, Maros Klimpl for his all action performance and Coach for his unstoppable charges up the wing & exhibition stuff in the first half (fit to grace any World Cup). Dazza too put in a good shift.

Kmcalpin.....agree with your post 100% (Well 98%) summed up my feelings & friends exactly,except....

"Really felt sorry for Coach being yellow carded after being blatantly elbowed off the ball."

Quinn got himself booked for not shutting up............Fined a weeks wages if I was in charge......... :D

Nae team on earth could play football on our pitch, so to grind out a 1-0 win over a side that's won six on the trot has to be a very good result.

No one overly impressed but sometimes you need to just battle away and get the points.

In other news, we quite obviously played one up front against St Mirren last week and no amount of greeting or deflecting from McGhee in the programme is going to change that.

It wasn't the tactics apparently, it was the pitch. Haha, lies. :D

It was 4-3-3 against ST Mirren!!!! :D:D:D

Kmcalpin.....agree with your post 100% (Well 98%) summed up my feelings & friends exactly,except....

"Really felt sorry for Coach being yellow carded after being blatantly elbowed off the ball."

Quinn got himself booked for not shutting up............Fined a weeks wages if I was in charge......... :D

I know where you're coming from. Dissent is a very silly offence for which to pick up a yellow card. However, in the heat of the moment its maybe understandable....someone assaults you after the ball is played, maybe you react - no real action is taken, you mouth off and the ref cards you. I suppose its down to frustration - the officials witness what went on yet bottle it.

I know where you're coming from. Dissent is a very silly offence for which to pick up a yellow card. However, in the heat of the moment its maybe understandable....someone assaults you after the ball is played, maybe you react - no real action is taken, you mouth off and the ref cards you. I suppose its down to frustration - the officials witness what went on yet bottle it.

According to his interview in the Record today that booking has earned him a 3 match suspension.

we sit in the east stand & i wonder if anyone else saw dr. deucher shake hands with the kid who was hit with the ball after he saw he/she was ok. nice touch i thought, still glad we beat them tho,

Aye saw that, nice to see a player doing that. No doubt his 'duty of care' mode kicked in. :P

According to his (Paul Quinn's) interview in the Record today that booking has earned him a 3 match suspension.

Aye, he'll miss ICT and Jambos away, and United at home.