Motherwell Vs Levante Discussion Thread

David

Operation "hoof it to Higgy" was a waste. He won sod all off their CB. That's not a slating of him, as I feel that the big Hig is a good player, at chest, or leg level.

Frankly fucking amateur concession for the first goal. 45 degree defensive line? Hell no. A distance that great between a CB and the RB is utterly embarrassing, and stupid, overall.

We found ourselves overawed this evening against a team which showed fuck all. They were just as scrappy as we were, and in all reality, I would compare them to last season's Hibs side, wherein they were poor, but one or two players may punish you. And we were punished.

The only time we threatened was when we tried to impose OUR game. Not when we tried to combat their threat. This is what angers me.

It's no different to our efforts v the old firm. If we play OUR game, we threaten. If we aim to combat theirs...we fail.

• Like 1

I am gutted that we were so pish tonight. McCalls got his tactics wrong again on the big stage.

So many under par performances in the team also,step forward Lasley and Law in particular. Lasley was a total liability tonight and his 1st touch was awful.

McCall said in the radio after the game that they are better than Pana, no way in hell. They aren't a great side at all and had no stand out players. We were pedestrian and tried to play the long ball against three 6ft4' bears. Fucking pointless.

They where there for the taking and we shat it big style.

I know what you mean, but what does that lead to?

As in, who are we up to the level of?

Are we to the rival of Celtic, or is a floppy defeat v them ok?

Hearts? Hibs? Aberdeen?

I'm not saying that they're near the level of Pana or Levante, clearly, but where is the line of realistic competition drawn?

Hmm...well, that was disappointing. A long time since I've seen us being so passive in a game. Hoofing it to Higdon when there were four men surrounding him who were all taller was bizarre, and although I know McCall said he had trouble seeing Levante in the lead up to the game, it seemed such a basic oversight.

Strangely, I wasn't as impressed with Levante as I was with Panathinaikos, but at least we gave the Greeks a really good game at Fir Park. Too many players, Lasley in particular, just had a really poor night, and I think the conditions only served to highlight the gap between our players and theirs when it came to the technical basics of the game.

But hey, I wasn't expecting us to beat a team that finished 6th in La Liga last season, I just expected it to be a bit more of a fight I suppose.

No c**t in group stage is going to fear that mob.

The 'well fans were positive and done their all to back the team.

The board have been pre-occupied on finances (tv money, other commercials) and offered little help to the squad and encourage the fans. Fair enough, we might still be around in 5 years time, but this moment still sucks. Suppose we will be back to hearing the small spl team who punch above their weight cliches again.

Why when they had a man off and not yet subbed did we just pass the ball about all nicey nicey when we we should have been pushing for a goal.

Fuck being sporting you get fuck all for it s Goal then would have broken their spirit and forced them to chase the game wallbash.gif

We don't have a cutting edge, pre match the gaffer said we would play differently, newsflash we didn't same shit different day, no lessons learned from Pana games

A very poor night, all be it against a team that operate on a different level to us. We need to learn from these defeats, if we don’t there is no point even turning up. The first goal looked offside, but why the fuck do we not play to the whistle. This surely is basic stuff! Over all we got what we deserved, fuck all.

People saying we didn't perform, sadly we performed as well as Levante lets us. They were a clear cut above us, they barely got out of second gear and coasted through. If they wanted to up it they could have in my opnion, sadly they're just a class above us. Our lads gave their all but just weren't good enough, no shame in that.

Now I'm away before the bitching starts.

The annoying thing for me, is that Levante are fucking shit. We were just worse. If we'd played exactly like that in a Motherwell v Dundee United, or Motherwell v Hearts fixture, it would have been about 5-0.

Almost every pass we played was 2 yards too short, or 2 yards off target, and the ones that were accurate were met with a first touch that did nothing but open up a 50-50 ball which we invariably lost or gave away a free kick.

Not a chance Levante are a decent side and I genuinely believe anyone that thinks they were is grossly underestimating how embarrassingly bad we were tonight. It was as if none of them had got any sleep last night.

• Like 2

By far the most frustrating thing is the fact we appear to have learnt he fucking haw from the previous European ties we have played not only this year but in previous seasons.

If you keep doing the same old thing, and worse making the same old mistakes, then you can hardly expect to start wining all of a sudden.

• Like 1

The annoying thing for me, is that Levante are fucking shit. We were just worse. If we'd played exactly like that in a Motherwell v Dundee United, or Motherwell v Hearts fixture, it would have been about 5-0.

Almost every pass we played was 2 yards too short, or 2 yards off target, and the ones that were accurate were met with a first touch that did nothing but open up a 50-50 ball which we invariably lost or gave away a free kick.

Not a chance Levante are a decent side and I genuinely believe anyone that thinks they were is grossly underestimating how embarrassingly bad we were tonight. It was as if none of them had got any sleep last night.

I dont think we were really THAT terrible tonight. Although I do think Levante looked little better than a decent SPL side.

On the night, I agree.

And thank fuck someone said it.

Agree. Levante looked distinctly overrated tonight, particularly in the first half. Couldn't believe the amount of long balls they were playing. We looked to have an utter lack of belief that we could get anything. Performance against Pana was far better.

I dont think we were really THAT terrible tonight. Although I do think Levante looked little better than a decent SPL side.

Both Hearts and Dundee United would have rattled Levante tonight. Absolutely cunted them. Gary Mackay-Steven would have had to come home and clean his own jizz off his boots he'd have loved it so much.

• Like 1

Probably the most Un-Spanish team i've ever seen!! they were there for the taking tonight but a complete off night from our players (and manager) made it impossible....too many bad performances to mention, Randolph did well and maybe one or 2 others but just a stinkin night, thoroughly disappointing!!

No Passion or fight!!

No surprises at the result. Don't believe that Levante are as good as sides we have met in the past but our quality and depth isn't the same either. That's the problem.

Fair play to the guys travelling but the tie is dead, again, and there has been a helluva lot of money spent on two trips that contain next to no hope.

St Mirren for me is the focus now. Certainly our worst Euro campaign since 2008/09. SPL and League Cup is our main focus now. With our injury concerns I'd consider resting players next week and giving the young lads a game.

• Like 2

MOTM for either hutch or cummings tonight for me. Thought Hately done ok as well and kerr and mchugh actually looked like they gave a shit. Rest were pretty poor with Ojaama the most frustrating as he has yet to learn that there are another ten guys out there to help him and he doesnt have to do everything himself.

I would say Levante are a lot like Dundee United or Hearts to us, One week they pump us and the next we pump them. Nothing special about them what so ever.

The ref and east stand linesman were rotten. The dirty diving and play acting of the Spanish was pathetic.

As much as I hate saying it, Lasley had a rotten game. Humphrey was dreadful and should have been taken off at half time, not that the rest of the team were much better. My man of the match will go to Kerr, purely because he didn't give the ball away or put it out for a throw in with his first touch.