Motherwell Vs Levante Discussion Thread

David

All I can say is thank fuck we're out of Europe as we just don't have what it takes to play sides like these. Tonight was painful to watch as it was a mere training exercise for Levante.

And for all those having a go at the linesman for the first goal I suggest look a bit closer to home. You play til the whistle and we failed to do that so no one to blame but ourselves...again.

Are you fucking kidding? I thought at the time it was a ridiculous decision by the linesman and having just seen it on the replay I'm even more convinced. You can't blame blatant incompetence on the part of the officials, on our defence.

We didn't play to our potential tonight and that's frustrating. But considering we were playing against a team who finished sixth in La Liga, then we definitely didn't disgrace ourselves. Bit of perspective required from some of the morons on here and in the stands tonight.

higy a good player? He is shocking. He cant turn he cant use his left foot. He cant jump. He cant head a ball, i have had enough of this high ball to higdon crap. A striker needs balls played into space for them to run at, but there again higdon cant run !!!

That's got about 186 contradictions within just 2 lines. Well done...that's quite a feat!

• Like 2

higy a good player? He is shocking. He cant turn he cant use his left foot. He cant jump. He cant head a ball, i have had enough of this high ball to higdon crap. A striker needs balls played into space for them to run at, but there again higdon cant run !!!

Well that is pish. I agree the big hoof to higgy is pointless when we have no-one near him, but Higgy is a good player for us.

Jamie Murphy Is not a left winger, he is bollocks out there, except the first 10 mins were he went past the right back twice he was anonymous.

Humph is so so frustrating, if he could control the ball and play a simple pass at times his pace would mean he would be devastating for us, but the fact is he is with us for a reason.

Nicky Law is bollocks in centre midfield.

massive anti climax and we never really had a go (apart from 10 mins after half time) we were so uneffectve up front that even the crowd went flat in the 1st half

not been that dissappointed during a game for a long time never mind after it. A lot of our players just didn't look comfortable on the ball just never did ourself's any justice at all

Stevie Hammell was slow as shite for the second goal, why do we not play zaine over him? Much better player with pace and can run with the ball, something hammell can't do.

aye good yin, drap the left back for the last 4 years for a fast guy,

remember yassin moutoutoutoutoutoutatatakil?

Are you fucking kidding? I thought at the time it was a ridiculous decision by the linesman and having just seen it on the replay I'm even more convinced. You can't blame blatant incompetence on the part of the officials, on our defence.

We didn't play to our potential tonight and that's frustrating. But considering we were playing against a team who finished sixth in La Liga, then we definitely didn't disgrace ourselves. Bit of perspective required from some of the morons on here and in the stands tonight.

I agree with MJC for once. We cant legislate for the linesmans decisions, what we can do is play to the whistle rather than stand waving at a linesman while the Levante player runs towards goal. The decision may have been wrong, ive not seen a replay yet, but our players are responsible or at least complicit, for not playing to the whistle.

• Like 1

Stevie Hammell was slow as shite for the second goal, why do we not play zaine over him? Much better player with pace and can run with the ball, something hammell can't do.

I agree that Zaine is a good player, but there is no way in hell you can tell hes better after only one start, thats just silly talk. On the other hand I would stick him on as an out and out left winger, in fact thats exactly what I would have done at half time tonight, taken Humph off, switched Murphy to the right and put ZFA on the left.

Beaten by a better side (get your cliche bingo cards out) who are technically miles ahead of us!!!

Yeah, they weren't very good on the night but they had taken their chances whereas we would require 4 or 5 chances for a goal. Very much like the PANO matches tbh.

Still doesn't make it any easier though.

Don't understand why folk have such a hard-on for Hutch though. I'm a big fan but he really seems to have went off the boil so far this season. Granted his red card was for a tackle he had to make but 3 European games and 2 goals sold and a red card. Wasn't at the St Johnstone match but I heard he had a stinker too.

Thing was they had 3 in midfield that allowed them to have a man over on Murphy and Humphrey. Murphy done ok in the first half but Humph had one of those nights.

I think we're missing Jennings, big time.

• Like 2

The only consolation is that by not reaching the Group Stages we do not have to play another 5 or 6 ties on a Thursday night with a squad that may struggle to compete in the upper half of the SPL, let alone play Europe/SPL for the best part of 2 months.

Yes we may have made a million +, but I think it would have f#cked our SPL campaign before it started. That + it would have meant another 5 or 6 Sunday fixtures.

Enjoyed the trip to Athens and the game we gave Pana at home, but I am afraid tonight was as enjoyable as a kick in the haw maws.

Hopefully we can perform better on Sunday and get the 3 points v St Mirren.

Haha so what point are you trying to make? Over the course of one season, they were extremely lucky? We're they lucky to draw with Athletico Madrid at the weekend as well?

Very..... Levante will be battling relegation this season.

As for the game, fucking dire! I love how we try and play posession football, but you need to in the end find a defence splitting ball. Moving it back and forward just to play it out wide for Murphy or Humphrey to try and get the ball in is not good football.

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised to see we were actually playing differently in the first half

It seemed to be all about, not losing that killer away goal in a two legged tie

Defence were holding a line, not being dragged forward to make silly challenges that have cost us

Midfield were holding a line when defending

seemed to me, whilst with hindsight it perhaps was too respectful, that if Hately and co hadnt made a massive mistake letting us go in a 0-0 at H/T, a quarter of the way through the two legged tie would have been seen as reasonably successful

as it stands I still view the first half with the exception of the one huge mistake. as reasonable, not enjoyable to watch, but as part of a two leg competition, I can accept that it was worth trying

now I think that the second half things should have changed and to be honest there was a spell when it looked like it was going to work, although we were screaming out for a midfielder not only to aide the attack but stop every failed attack turning into a run in on Randolph

very surprised Murphy never got switched to the right when Hump went off, even more surprised when Law went off when I thought we needed mobility and that extra midfielder and would have sacrificed Higdon

having now seen Valencia the only telling difference they have is composure in front of goal, it would still be an achievment to match them or beat them I just hope McCall sets us up to be mobile fast and has a real go at them in Valencia

Both Hearts and Dundee United would have rattled Levante tonight. Absolutely cunted them. Gary Mackay-Steven would have had to come home and clean his own jizz off his boots he'd have loved it so much.

Hearts and Utd have more attacking players that are physically superior and hell of a lot more mobile than we have , I agree they would have went for the jugular right away and succeeded , thats how they play especially Utd as its their real strength and thats also how they can be unlocked

Took 60 fucking minutes to realise that playing the ball into Higdon's feet, rather than up to his coupon, was far more productive. Law and Lasley had howlers in centre mid, when that happens you are always going to struggle, no matter who you are, and their performances set the tone.

Cummins had a good game, and I thought Hutch was decent up until the sending off. Murphy is far too timid out left, to feart to take guys on at times. Jonny Russell or Mackay-Steven would have rrun at that right back all night.

• Like 2