Motherwell Vs Levante Discussion Thread

David

Booing their huddle right after the presentation wasn't the classiest thing our support have ever done!!

Oh....and what was the partial standing ovation for Hutch after he got his red card all about?

Presumably Hutch got the standing ovation for being the best of a bad bunch, putting in a great shift, not shirking away from tackles and preventing another goal for Levante.

Presumably Hutch got the standing ovation for being the best of a bad bunch, putting in a great shift, not shirking away from tackles and preventing another goal for Levante.

You missed out ruling himself out of the return leg when we already have a centre back struggling !!

I agree he was amongst the best of a bad bunch, but cannot understand this new concept of being treated as a hero after getting sent off. Never happened back in the day, you got sent off you trudged off you got suspended. This applause thing seems to have crept into the game over the past few years. Cant get my head around it...sorry!

Key word.... Last season. They will end around 17th if lucky, although Valladolid look good early on and have a highly rated coach in Dukić so 17th would be a success for Levante.

They've played one game this season, think their final league position from last season is a bit more reliable than your assumption.

Anyway, this debate is going nowhere. Irrespective of where Levante finished last season, or where they will finish this season, they are a stronger side who play in a far stronger league to us. We under performed, no doubt about it but some of the comparisons between Levante and bottom six SPL teams just shows the ignorance of some people.

I don't think anyone on here is claiming that it was a valiant effort from us last night, we didn't play to our potential. Neither is anyone claiming that Levante were unbeatable.

But taking last nights game out of it, they play in one of the best leagues in the world, a standard far higher than the SPL and even if you don't watch La Liga, it would be difficult to argue that they weren't a decent side, since they qualified for Europe.

So to suggest stuff like...that was our worst European performance and that Levante would struggle to finish in the top six of the SPL, is ridiculous at best.

Bit of realism required.

Bit of reading required. Most people aren't saying they would struggle to finish in the top 6 of the SPL. In fact anyone remotely mentioning league position seems to be saying they would. Of course they would. What's being said is that on the basis of last nights game, which is the only time me, you, or anyone else has seen them in the flesh, there are 4 teams in the SPL that could beat them, including us if we weren't slitting our own throats as a team. You need to stop focusing on league position when trying to counter people's points...as that's not the point people are making.

No-one is saying Celtic, Hearts, United and ourselves would all finish an SPL season above them. We are saying that in one match Celtic/Hearts/United/Ourselves all playing at their best, would beat Levante as they played last night.

You're making your point well, it just doesn't have anything to do with the point being made by the people your disputing.

next week i hope to see us line up like this

Murphy McHugh

Hammell Law Lasley Humprey

Angol Cum Kerr Hately

Randolph

Hammell has played there before and done well, and i think him an angol would link up well from what I've seen of him! and they could swap over and let each other attack/defend

try it out at the weekend mr mcall :D And Murphy/McHugh since they only ones who have scored this season and I'm sick of higdon and Ojamaa, think Ojamaa would do better coming of the bench with 20 min to go when they're starting to tire and then all his energy might count for something!

Bit of reading required. Most people aren't saying they would struggle to finish in the top 6 of the SPL. In fact anyone remotely mentioning league position seems to be saying they would. Of course they would. What's being said is that on the basis of last nights game, which is the only time me, you, or anyone else has seen them in the flesh, there are 4 teams in the SPL that could beat them, including us if we weren't slitting our own throats as a team. You need to stop focusing on league position when trying to counter people's points...as that's not the point people are making.

No-one is saying Celtic, Hearts, United and ourselves would all finish an SPL season above them. We are saying that in one match Celtic/Hearts/United/Ourselves all playing at their best, would beat Levante as they played last night.

You're making your point well, it just doesn't have anything to do with the point being made by the people your disputing.

Get what you're saying, that's the first time I've seen Levante live but when people are claiming that last night was our worst ever performance in Europe, then you surely need to take the quality of the opposition into consideration and the league they play in and where they finished in that league, is a pretty reasonable indication of how good they are.

I'm not denying that we (and other SPL clubs) could have got a result against Levante last night and I'm as disapponted as anyone that we didn't play to our potential. But all things considered, I still think the criticism is over the top, with a lot of people failing to appreciate that we lost to a decent side.

And thinking playing two left backs is a good idea :rolleyes:

even in times of dire need through lack of available players, we'd maybe play them to their individual strengths , one gets reviews for being particularly strong going forward and one has made a pretty solid career out of staying back most of the time with it having not really worked out the time he was tried in midfield

Only way I can see the players getting some credibility back is to go over there and play their hearts out. I don't care about this so called gap in funding, training etc its 11 against 11. Guys are doing a job some of us dream of knowing we never had the ability to play professionally for the club we support. So get yer collective fingers out and play for the jersey for 90 minutes.

• Like 1

It's that terrible because you're about the only person that saw Levante as anything other than decidedly average, who doesn't think there at least 4 SPL sides that would scud them.

:help:

there aren't 4 teams in the spl you can count on to beat ross county nevermind scud the team who finished 6th in la liga!

for me they were a better team than pana. not as flashy going forward but a better team and harder to play against. for those saying they were poor they won 2 nil at a canter, should probably have scored more and their keeper didn't make a save. they were a good team playing within themselves.

i don't actually think there was much difference between our performance last night and the one at home against pana. in the champions league game i think we were all just impressed that we could keep the ball pretty well against a big european team whereas last night we had already seen that performance and knew it wouldn't work. we were a bit sloppier than usual in some areas but not hugely.

the only way we are going to get by a team like that is by doing a walter smith style anti football performance. when they scored their second goal we had 5 men up the park, humphrey and murphy were obvioulsy told not to track back which meant we were going to struggle at the back. in january mccall would only play one up against ict in the league but last night we were pretty much 4-2-4 in a big european game. very strange.

cummins was excellent and randolph played well. in the final third higdon was as useless as ever, centrehalfs must love playing against him, and humphrey seems to be compiling a one man football bloopers video this season. i'd say higdon looks even more unfit than last season but your not allowed to point out that he is ripping the piss out of us by taking a wage while out of shape. is there anyone on here who thinks he wouldn't play better if he lost a stone or two??

it's very hard to see us getting anything in spain but at least at two nil you can just about dream of getting a result. regardless of the result it should be a belter of a trip.

Again hardly a shock result. The players couldn't be faulted for trying their best and putting in maximum effort but the simple fact is we were over-matched. All the trying and effort in the world can't help you when the opposition are simply man-for-man better than you. They may not be a top Spanish side but the fact is their players could all do the basics things that footballers should be able to do and did them very well. They also are very well coached and play as a team - something that we are not and very rarely do.

We keep hearing IMO, a lot of absolute sh*te from our club managers after every game a Scottish team loses in Europe - "its been a good learning experience for the players" and "there were a lot of positives to take". Well, its quite obvious that the players are not learning. However I believe that its not just the players who should be learning from these experiences but the managers. They need to get much at game tactics and learning how to get their players playing as a unit as opposed to 11 individuals. There is an expression called "synergy" which means the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This is what our managers need to begin to understand and implement. Some who post on this site will be long enough in the teeth to remember one of the club's finest results against the then mighty Spurs in the old Texaco Cup when we defeated them over two legs. Spurs then had internationalist in every position and man for man they wer far superior to us but our guys then played as a single unit, a team and were able to overcome them as a result.. Scottish teams then could do that but we seem to be unable to do it now. Well I believe its down to the managers now, like McCall, Lomas of St.Johnstone, McGlynn of Hearts and Houston of Dundee Utd to begin to prove and show that they have learned as coaches/managers from these games, put it into practice on a weekly basis and begin to prepare for the next time round in Europe.

• Like 2

Last night was desperately disappointing. We'll probably never really know how good Levante were, but their next set of results of Europe may provide a clue. Anyway, I felt we made serious errors off the pitch and on it. We clearly did not learn from playing Panathanaikos.

Our weaknesses this season are many but I didn't see anything last night that wasn't evident against Ross County or St Johnstone. I'll take 3 quotes from the Ojamaa thread which sums up our key weaknesses perfectly for me.

Step forward Real Dosser - "We are so pedestrian when we get the ball the other team have all the time in the world to get back and then we

play 20 passes across the park or back to the defence before somebody makes an arse of it and gives it away."

Then Wellfan 1984 "Sometimes it seems our team is too scared to go for a killer ball, instead we move side to side with no real plan of what to do next then we just pass it back a across the field."

and finally Well4Europe "I've said it before, I'd get Law out of centre mid and back to a more advanced position. He's the most creative player we have and we're wasting him where he is in my opinion."

• Like 2

Some who post on this site will be long enough in the teeth to remember one of the club's finest results against the then mighty Spurs in the old Texaco Cup when we defeated them over two legs.

I remember those games well, if only our present day players could summon up some of their predecessors passion we might have had a chance against this mob.

for me they were a better team than pana. not as flashy going forward but a better team and harder to play against. for those saying they were poor they won 2 nil at a canter, should probably have scored more and their keeper didn't make a save. they were a good team playing within themselves.

Do you actually mean a better team? Or do you mean harder to beat?

If you mean harder to beat then i'd possibly agree with you, in the sense that Gus McPherson's St Mirren could at times be harder to beat than Dundee United, even though they weren't as good a side.

If you do mean they were a better team, then I just can't agree with you. The Pana side were full of natural footballers, comfortable on the ball, one touch, two touch, instant control, play the ball and move, always someone available to take a pass...that instinct that takes the need for thought out of the basics of the game. There were times in the game last night though where Levante were just rattling the ball up in the air, launching it, hammering clearances off Motherwell players right in front of them. Hard to beat? If you're not on your game then it would seem so. Effective? Obviously! Good side? Nope.

Maybe it's just differing opinions on what constitutes a good side. For me, it's footballing talent and ability...for others something different.

• Like 1