U20 Fixtures

well_army

1349105638[/url]' post='363320']

Duh really? read my post again...not my problem how to finance that. I just agreed with Finlay about the reserve league coming back and threw in the U20s league.

Well, I've read your post again and in conjunction with that Finlay fella's and they're a crock o' shit.

One of the main reasons our club voted against the reserve league was due to our development kids being utilised to fill both the youth and reserve teams leaving very little emphasis on the development and more on preparation for game time.

Regardless of being able to finance both, I don't see what would have changed unless the intake of kids has doubled?

I might be alone here but I don't really care that much about the U20s results. Shouldn't be about results at that level, more about developing skills and tactical awareness. Obviously if they are developing properly then results should follow, but I wouldn't care if we lost every game at that level if we manage to produce two or three players ready for the first team...

I might be alone here but I don't really care that much about the U20s results. Shouldn't be about results at that level, more about developing skills and tactical awareness. Obviously if they are developing properly then results should follow, but I wouldn't care if we lost every game at that level if we manage to produce two or three players ready for the first team...

Exactly given we only expect a small handful of these guys to make it, it should all be about developing them as players. arguably as they get closer to first team you want to see emphasis placed on the pressure to win games but it should definitely be far from first priority.

Duh really? read my post again...not my problem how to finance that. I just agreed with Finlay about the reserve league coming back and threw in the U20s league.

Don't worry mate I understood your post. In an ideal world and all that where Scottish football was flush with money and talent.

Exactly given we only expect a small handful of these guys to make it, it should all be about developing them as players. arguably as they get closer to first team you want to see emphasis placed on the pressure to win games but it should definitely be far from first priority.

Agreed, but depends how you define "making it" It's a tight business and we have done very well in producing or signing young talent at this level. Letting talent go must be really difficult and whilst it has to be done you only need look at Lawless playing very well for Thistle to confirm this. He,s not the first we coudn't find a place for, and won't be the last.

Play to win

In countries that are more successful than we are (which is most of them these days), playing to win is what you do after they develop you as a footballer. That is one of the reasons we struggle converting our national U-21 team into a successful national senior team.

Good wee debate going here re the development angle.

For what it's worth I see it more along the lines of once the 'boys' start getting paid to play football it becomes incumbent on them and their coaches to win matches. They are playing in a league, which doesn't happen until U/20's level, and in a cup competition (ouch !)

At the end of the day it is their job of work and they are having to be prepared to step up to the 1st team, given the less than sensible lack of a reserve league.

The big question for me is when should the development stop and expectation to produce results take over. Personally I would maintain development sides until U/18's(think this is now the case from this season) then promote the boys into the 'real world', any exceptional prospects obviously move up when deemed ready by coaching staff.

I have to say as an old fashioned type of football follower, I am not entirely sure that the removal of tangible rewards for the development sides pre U/20's is conducive to producing pro footballers. I would probably like the boys to play a cup competition just to hone their competitive side until they start getting paid.

The simple fact imho is that this country has decided to try and take the best bits of development and youth coaching from the most successful footballing nations, most of whom have a far greater pool of talent to call on. Perhaps we should look at the Belgian or Scandanavian models or even more radically tear up everything and use our own system developed by the more insightful youth coaches who work with the boys day in day out !

Need to get out the mindset of not making it at 20 = not good enough too.

We have started using or are in prep for making use of Bonhof's system, which was kicked out after the two Smiths got rid of him and replaced him with Archie fucking Knox :doh: One of the decent (only?) decent thing Levien has brought to the Scotland job....

More importantly though we need to smack the SPL clubs into touch as their attempts for the most part at YD has been laughable

More importantly though we need to smack the SPL clubs into touch as their attempts for the most part at YD has been laughable

A signifcant problem is fans (and boards) don't have the patience. Even at a club like ours who depend more on young players, there are far too many people in the stands who expect a level of consistency that is just not possible with a young team.

I see the guy Bossekota started last nite , but only played 37 mins according to official site report . Was this due to him being gash , tactical change or whatever .

Anyone who went along shed any light on his performance / think he's worth a deal ?

How many over 20's are allowed in the U-20's?

If memory serves 2 over 20's at any age, 1 over 20 up to age 23 and an overage keeper.

Re Bossekota not a night to judge him as he, as was rightly stated, went off injured.

Saw him play for Hertz v Well in a recent reserve match when he looked quite lively and strong.

If memory serves 2 over 20's at any age, 1 over 20 up to age 23 and an overage keeper.

Re Bossekota not a night to judge him as he, as was rightly stated, went off injured.

Saw him play for Hertz v Well in a recent reserve match when he looked quite lively and strong.

Kept gettin him and Omar mixed up. Crackin goal by Omar btw looked a lot better playing through the middle.